PDA

View Full Version : Looking for product reviews

inline6turbo
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Alright guys, here's the deal. I'm doing a product quality vs. price research study.

What I'm doing is comparing 4 different brands of socket sets by price, quality, longevity, and overall bang for your buck.
So if you've used these tools, vote for the one you think is the best and give me a review + rating out of five for all the categories. Also in your review add in your opinion what the worst one is overal from the group.

Jobmate series 87-piece Socket Set $39.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443285553&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672956&bmUID=1239114132966

Mastercraft series 42-piece Socket Set $39.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443288578&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672956&bmUID=1239114132963

Mastercraft Maximum series 25-piece Ratchet Set $79.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374303523072&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443283593&bmUID=1239114475213&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

And

Snap-on series 12-piece Shallow Metric Socket Set, 6point $141.75US

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=57&group_ID=244&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Example:

Best Choice: Mastercraft Maximum sockets
I like these tools because in my experience they've never broke, have a good tight fitment on bolts, and have a good warranty. As a tradesperson I feel comfortable using these and not worrying about downtime due to broken tools.

Price: 4/5
Quality: 4/5
Longevity: 5/5
Overal Bang for buck: 4/5

Worst Choice: Jobmate Tool kits
These are what seems to be a one time only use tool, cannot be used for anything that requires torque, and scares me that they'll break when I'm using them. The ratchet gears tend to break often and the sockets will strip bolts regularly.

Quality: 1/5
Longevity: 1/5
Overal Bang for Buck: 3/5

That.Guy.S30
04-13-2009, 05:58 PM
i was reading in auto salon AU, they did tests on torque wrenches (ie. drop test, torque, quality) and snap-on didnt fair too well, it was the most expensive but was at the bottom of the list.

HiTempguy1
04-13-2009, 07:41 PM
[i] As a tradesperson I feel comfortable using these and not worrying about downtime due to broken tools.

]

This makes a HUGE difference. To anybody that voted snapon, you cannot be serious for your average garage worker. Their prices are ridiculous when you can get maximum hardware for 1/2 price.

IF this is aimed at tradesmen, its all about time. You don't have time to worry about tools breaking, so you NEED snap on.

Anywho, I'll writeup a review like was asked in a bit from the perspective of a dude who does all his own work.

TomcoPDR
04-13-2009, 08:14 PM
What about Craftsmen? (Sears) Because most times you can literally bring back a Craftsmen tool to their local Sears whether Canada or US, and they basically tell you to grab another one and work away.

inline6turbo
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
This isn't really aimed at anyone. Just a review of how you feel about products you've used.
Even garage do-it themselfers can rate a socket set, like if they've used a jobmate set and it broke, they know it's junk haha.

Just try to keep this open and give me your perspectives on how these products rate :) If you're a trademen and only use Snap-on because you've had experience with crappy tools, say that!

Thanks guys!

msommers
04-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Mastercraft has been 99% indestructible. A pin came loose and eventually fell out of one of my socket wrenches so I brought it in. In and out with a new one under warranty. Plus Crappy Tire has 50% off sales or more, often.

Overall, best value and best quality I've used is Mastercraft, that includes using snap-on (only briefly though~3 months). Never had anything break with snap-on, but the garage beside us would have that damn service truck over about once a week fixing or replacing their shit.

Weapon_R
04-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Mastercraft Maximum is all I'd ever buy. The price and quality are excellent and their lifetime warranty is great. I broke a ratchet, went into the store and took one off the shelf and they exchanged it for me right on the spot.

sneek
04-13-2009, 09:00 PM
I have broken a few Mastercraft tools. IMO they are okay, and will usually last, especially if you are using them for what you are supposed to use them for. I voted Maximum because I like the way the tools feel in your hand, they also seem to be built just a bit better. IIRC they all have a life time warranty. Like TomCo, I am a huge fan of Craftsman tools, my dad has a HUGE number of tools by them and never had a problem.

nonlinear
04-13-2009, 09:33 PM
i've just got shitty tools, but my dad and brother are both mechanics and they buy snap-on and sometimes matco (screwdrivers and shit)

Originally posted by msommers
Never had anything break with snap-on, but the garage beside us would have that damn service truck over about once a week fixing or replacing their shit.

those are probably sales vans, not repair dudes. when i used to work for my dad in high school, the tool guys would stop in all the time trying to sell the guys new tools.

Freeskier
04-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I've never had a mastercraft tool break. I don't have any experience with the others, but i'll go with what has worked for me in the past. Plus they are a good price

civiclvr
04-14-2009, 09:03 AM
I'll try and use your layout:

Worst Choice: Jobmate Tool kits
Used these for a long time (read: was a poor student) Definately busted my hand open more than once due to sockets splaying out on me. Wrenches and adj. wrenches were not tight to the nut that they were supposed to be tight to.. or in the adj wreches, would become loose and sloppy. This resulted in many a rounded bolt/nut... not cool.
They are fine for the casual thing.. i.e. changing a stereo
but nothing with torque

Quality: 1/5
Longevity: 0/5
Overal Bang for Buck: 2/5.. simply because no warranty and no reliability

Next Choice: Mastercraft
My next step up once I started earning some money. Decent tools. better fitment and Great warranty. I did manage to destroy a few of these rachets while working on my honda. The crank bolt seems to be a good indicator of what is a good tool and what is garbage. But with CT close, I didn't really have to worry about much downtime.
They are good but I don't think the QA is really as tight as with the next set I"m about to comment on. Also, some of their tools don't "fit" right in your hand.

Quality: 3/5
Longevity: 4/5
Overal Bang for buck: 3.5/5

best Choice: Mastercraft Maximum
Latest tool kit. I picked up last spring on sale. 305 (or is it 304?) piece set for $119.
Great... I just love these tools!
Good price
Good feel
Good fitment on whatever I'm working on.
Haven't been able to destroy anything yet, this includes a full b16 rebuild and install

Price: 5/5 (on sale)
Quality: 4.5/5
Longevity: 4.5/5
Overal Bang for buck: 4.5/5

Next Choice: Snap on
I honestly haven't really worked with these tools.. the very few things I have used, don't really give me enough basis to make a full opinion.
They are pricey, which kept me away (I consider myself a personal/backyard mechanic... so I don't need the super fancy stuff)
heard many good things and very few bad things.. but that's all rumors unless I have my own hands on experience.

Price: 1/5
Quality: ??/5
Longevity: ??/5
Overal Bang for buck: ??/5

oddball Choice: craftsman
I use their screwdriver sets. Always coming on sale and quality is pretty great. They also have a good warranty.
I have only managed to bend one of their screwdrivers and it was while doing something a screwdriver was not really meant to do.
They feel ok in the hand
they fit pretty tight
no real complaints

Price: 4.5/5 (on sale)
Longevity: 4/5

that's all I can weigh in on..
good luck.

GQBalla
04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I like mastercraft.

My dad has used them forever and i use his tools.

Price: 4/5 ( i can only judge from prices i see now, don;t know how much they were when he purchased them)
Longevity: 5/5

my dad has tools that are older than i am i they have lasted and i still use them to this day. The warranty is great too, the only thing he has ever broken was a pair of pliers and they excahnged it right away

scat19
04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I have been working with a TON of mechanics, all they work with is SNAP-ON. They're expensive, but they DO NOT BREAK.

For myself, Mastercraft or Mastercraft Maximum. Awesome exchange policy, lifetime warranty, and they allow me to do the medium difficulty tasks at hand. (Suspension - lowering, brake rotor and pad changes, wheel changes, oil changes, headlight swapping, projector/HID retrofitting etc)