PDA

View Full Version : transferring ownership

pandamonium
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM
hey, i just found out that my grandfather is going to be giving me his car seeing as he no longer drives. nothing fancy, just a mid 90s accord. that means i'm gonna have to fly out to vancouver (from calgary) to pick it up and drive back. before i take off, i want to make sure that i have/get all the neccessary paper work to transfer the ownership over to me.
do i need to get new (alberta) plates for the car before i drive it back? or do i switch them when i get back here?
am i going to have to pay taxes/transfer fees there/here?

sorry i'm new to this whole "inhearting a car thing"

thanks in advance for your help!

-griffin

dannie
04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
You wont be able to get plates for the car because it isnt an Alberta vehicle.

Your grandfather needs to write out a gift letter to you for the vehicle. You take that letter to your insurance co and insure it. Fly out, stop at an ICBC branch and obtain an intransit permit.

Drive it to Alberta, come into the registry with your licence and the gift letter and get a request for inspection ($9.45). You then take the vehicle for an out of province inspection and go back to the registry with the gift letter, insurance and green inspection form (which is only good for 14 days) and get plates and registration.

**You could also get an intransit permit from Alberta before you go. They are good for up to 7 days only though, and point A to B. For that, you will need the gift letter and the insurance.

tom_9109
04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Get your insurance and in transit in calgary before you leave.