Avenue Deli
#3 - 2008, 33 Ave. SW
Calgary, Alberta
T2T 1Z4

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday 11:00 am to 7:00 pm
Sundays 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
http://avenuedeli.ca/

In the Marda Loop area 2 stores beside El's Fusion is a Deli I've always walked by after dining at El's and always wondered if it was any good.

Went there on a beautiful Easter Sunday and decided to give it a try with the girlfriend. Now, the place is known for it's smoked montreal meat sandwiches and it's real milkshakes, so that's exactly what we ordered.

There is the traditional montreal smoked meat on rye bread with chips, coleslaw, and a pickle, or you can get the "Reuben", which has added Polish Sauerkraut and Gouda Cheese. It's also grilled too so it's warmer and toastier. I gave the traditional a try and the girlfriend had the Reuben. If you haven't had Montreal smoked meat sandwiches before, then be advised that you should definitely like mustard or it won't appeal much to you. You're given 5 choices of mustard (Frenchs, Dijon, Horseradish, Spicy Honey, some kinda pepper one, and a House which is a combination of them all). We also ordered an Apple Pie milkshake and a Cremesicle one which is orange/cream flavored. Those were apparently the two best.

Tasting:

First of all, I have to say the milkshakes tasted amazing! I saw the guy make it and it didn't look that special at all but it was delicious. The apple pie milkshake was simply tropicana apple juice with cinnamon for flavorings and the cremesicle was tropicana orange juice. The only downfall was that it no where as thick as you would find at Peters or Fatburger. The shakes are also bigger if you dine in because they're served in the metal tins used to make the milkshakes. As for the sandwiches, the meat was sliced very thin and the House mustard had a great flavor with everything. However, I do somewhat like horseradish so you'd probably be better off with a different mustard choice if you're not. I would definitely go with the grilled (Reuben) because the cheese and the toasty bread make the sandwich much more appetizing.

Service:

The guy serving us looked like a teenie-bopper but he certainly knew what he was talking about and provided us great service. He really had a passion in his job which is hard to find these days for his age.

2 shakes, 2 sandwiches ---> ~$35.00

They also have other sandwiches with turkey, smoked salmon, and soups which we may try another time. I enjoyed my visit this time around though.

Value: 3/5
Food: 4/5 [Gotta like the mustard though!]
Service: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

RY213
04-13-2009, 08:48 PM
That seems pretty expensive for 2 sandwiches and 2 milkshakes. I used to really like My Marvins deli on 4th St but it was also too expensive. Someone needs to make a NY style deli with affordable food and I will frequent it...

nonlinear
04-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by RY213
That seems pretty expensive for 2 sandwiches and 2 milkshakes. I used to really like My Marvins deli on 4th St but it was also too expensive. Someone needs to make a NY style deli with affordable food and I will frequent it...

word. $35 for two shakes and two sandwiches is insane. i mean shit, sandwiches at Schwartz's in Montreal are $5.20 and you can't get better or more authentic than that.

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

The_Rural_Juror
04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Avenue is pretty much the same place as that Montreal Smoked meat place beside Galaxy Diner. Overly salty and over priced.

Schwartz's will ship out here. Anyone want to split shipping on a brisket or two? :drool:

GQBalla
04-14-2009, 07:47 AM
damn that place is expensive, but worth a try.

is there vegetarian options?

you&me
04-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Avenue is pretty much the same place as that Montreal Smoked meat place beside Galaxy Diner. Overly salty and over priced.

Schwartz's will ship out here. Anyone want to split shipping on a brisket or two? :drool:

Same family owns Galaxy, Belmont, Avenue and Palace of Eats... all over priced and all inferior to other options in the city.

Disoblige
04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
damn that place is expensive, but worth a try.

is there vegetarian options?

Not really. From what I remember there is a grilled cheese and maybe some soups are vegetarian. Check their menu online though.

Originally posted by you&me

Same family owns Galaxy, Belmont, Avenue and Palace of Eats... all over priced and all inferior to other options in the city.

Ah, the meat was a little bit salty yeah but I didn't mind too much with the mustard, pickles, coleslaw, etc. But yeah, it is overpriced.

nonlinear
04-14-2009, 11:28 AM
these guys must think they are A&A deli or something, charging that much for a damn sandwich! hahah

nd54
04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
I thought the owner of the Avenue Diner was different from the one that owns the Palace of Eats/Galaxie/Belmont.

Anyway, it's a decent sandwich for Calgary, but one thing I hate about this place and the Palace of Eats is that they don't know what a Reuben is. A Reuben has to have Russian Dressing, end of story.

DJ_NAV
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Deluxe diner on Edmonton Tr. is awesome!!