PDA

View Full Version : bmw reliablility

accordstylez
04-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Just wondering if 110,000 kms is alot for a 2003 bmw 530i, perfect shape body and interior. Don't want to have to pay alot of money in repairs.. anyone know if this is a reliable car? thanks for the help

Ukyo8
04-13-2009, 11:00 PM
If it was serviced properly, and if you will keep servicing properly you should have almost no problems.

accordstylez
04-13-2009, 11:08 PM
is there anyway to know if its been serviced properly if its at a non bmw dealer. or any quick things to check to see its clean

TorqueDog
04-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Get a Pre-purchase Inspection done at an independant BMW shop like Sheni's.

The E39s are pretty damn reliable, and 110,000 KMs isn't a lot on those cars. If you do your part with regular maintenance, it'll last you for many years into the future.

Jynx
04-13-2009, 11:16 PM
As long as inspection II has been done you should be ok for the next little while.

accordstylez
04-13-2009, 11:20 PM
thanks for all the help everybody

911fever
04-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Get a Pre-purchase Inspection done at an independant BMW shop like Sheni's.

The E39s are pretty damn reliable, and 110,000 KMs isn't a lot on those cars. If you do your part with regular maintenance, it'll last you for many years into the future.

LOLOLOL @ E39's being reliable
They are far from it if they haven't been maintained. The 530i is a good car, but it is expensive to maintain, and there are often electrical gremlins that can be annoying. Check the window regulators, pixels on the screens, rear hatch, etc. Don't buy one if it hasn't been maintained or it can be just a moneypit. The 530i is a little less maintainence intensive than the 540i though.

TorqueDog
04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
LOLOLOL @ E39's being reliable
They are far from it if they haven't been maintained. The 530i is a good car, but it is expensive to maintain, and there are often electrical gremlins that can be annoying. Check the window regulators, pixels on the screens, rear hatch, etc. Don't buy one if it hasn't been maintained or it can be just a moneypit. The 530i is a little less maintainence intensive than the 540i though. Any car will have problems if it isn't maintained. :banghead: Why do you think we're telling him to get a PPI done?

In regards to reliability, I'm speaking to the mechanical reliability of the vehicle, which has been proven to be rather respectable if you maintain the car. A few dead pixels in the instrument cluster aren't going to leave him stranded in a snowstorm on Highway #2.

As far as maintenance costs go, pay to play.

HillBilly
04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
I have had two E39's now, and I must say that if proper maintenance is done, its gold. If not..... get your spanners ready for a workout.

911fever
04-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Any car will have problems if it isn't maintained. :banghead: Why do you think we're telling him to get a PPI done?

In regards to reliability, I'm speaking to the mechanical reliability of the vehicle, which has been proven to be rather respectable if you maintain the car. A few dead pixels in the instrument cluster aren't going to leave him stranded in a snowstorm on Highway #2.

As far as maintenance costs go, pay to play.

TQDog, I'm not disagreeing man. I'm just saying E39's are NOT reliable on a whole; the cooling system is a huge issue and needs to be replaced usually to be actually truly carefree and reliable.

rage2
04-14-2009, 04:52 PM
BMW's aren't reliable period. A few of us BMW guys were talking today about how used BMW's break the dumbest shit all the time.

chris746
04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
you want to drive a bmw but dont want to pay alot for repairs???

AutoWheels
04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
it depends on how you drive. If you are very careful and you don't drive like you are racing.

86max
04-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Pay to play lol

That's what I kept telling myself when I had a bmw......but I'll keep my negative opinions to myself.

On the bright side, buying the parts to fix bmw's is real easy with the internet. Lot's of good websites and forums to find anything you need, down to little panel clips or sideskirt screws. That's one convenience I really do miss.

Graham_A_M
04-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by rage2
BMW's aren't reliable period. A few of us BMW guys were talking today about how used BMW's break the dumbest shit all the time.

Absolutely no problems with mine. :dunno: Soon to hit 100k and still running like a top.

But I have the 3.0I M54 engine, so Can't say about the 540's

TorqueDog
04-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Graham, OP is looking at a 530i, which is the 3.0L I-6.

bmwtips.com and the M5Board have been absolutely invaluable as far as little tips, tricks, and mods.

In +40,000 KM of driving, I've had to replace the battery (which was the factory battery) and get the rear sway bar mounts replaced (which are a common break on M5s). Everything else I've done has been maintenance or something I fucked up.