PDA

View Full Version : how do you recharge a laptop battery?

hattonlynch
04-14-2009, 05:43 PM
but here goes.

how do you recharge a laptop battery?

i've never used a laptop before, so after about an hour it just shut off on me. i plugged in the power adapter to the wall and the computer turn on. is it charging? what the hell cna i do to recharge this damn bater?

1slw4dr
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
:facepalm:

hattonlynch
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 1slw4dr
:facepalm:

i figured i had that coming. and yes i know, i do deserve it. i'm actually really smart....but yeah i guess technology just owns me. if i went in IT i'd probably cry.

anyway can you help, i want to start using this dman thing... lol

1slw4dr
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
if its plugged its charging if the battary is in

Kona9
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
post a pic of you and dead laptop or it didn't happen.

pf0sh0
04-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Are you on it right now?

hattonlynch
if its plugged its charging if the battary is in
the light on the power adapter isn't even on.....i remember it was on when i turned the laptop in. but yeah it's been charging for like an hour now...and i still cnat turn it on to use it.

Aniki
if you said you connected the laptop to a power supply and it turned back on its charging. every laptop has a power supply level; look for it on the desktop.

hattonlynch
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
Are you on it right now?

no i am on a different computer.

1slw4dr
is it plugged into the wall??

hattonlynch
Originally posted by Aniki
if you said you connected the laptop to a power supply and it turned back on its charging. every laptop has a power supply level; look for it on the desktop.
computer won't even turn on......i had it going for about an hour ago for about 2 minutes, then the thing just shut off.

hattonlynch
04-14-2009, 05:50 PM
is it plugged into the wall??

yes and the other side is plugged into the outlet.....this is the power adapter. do i gotta do something with the other cord they gave me (i think it's like a phone cable or something)

1slw4dr
04-14-2009, 05:53 PM
you dont need that other cable to charge you only need to plug the computer to the wall maybe something is broke or you have no power to the outlet or you connected it wrong

hattonlynch
04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
maybe the cord is fucked up, like when i plug it into the computer to charge it the outlet on the laptop is fried or from the cord. i don't know, can anyone explain to me what it looks like inside the cord??????? is there metal things like you'd see on teh end of a keyboard cord

Graham_A_M
04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
hmmm, if there is no light on the adapter, it may be a faulty. The computer should be able to boot up now at least, 1hr is plenty of time. What you can do is take both the laptop and the adapter to the computer store, have both the adapter tested as well as see if your computer charges & boots up as it should once its plugged into to a different adapter (abeit one that works).

Or if you know how to use a digital Multimeter (an electronic tool used for measuring voltage, or ohmage/resistance) then you can use that to measure the output voltage of the terminal that would connect TO your laptop. if there is any voltage there I mean.

1slw4dr
04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
:dunno:

acura_el
04-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Have you tried plugging it into a different outlet? Maybe the outlet you're using is fried.

It's pretty straight forward: wall-->adapter-->computer

There should be a small light on the adapter to indicate it is working when plugged into the wall. You can see it in the bottom left corner of the picture below.

http://www.icct.ca/images/No_name/laptop%20adapter.jpg

BlackArcher101
04-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Post a picture of what you have.

eblend
04-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Post a picture of what you have.

dude can't charge a laptop, what makes you think he knows how to take a picture and upload it

mo_money2supe
04-14-2009, 07:08 PM
^^ He's able to post on an internet forum at least...

To the OP, you said that the laptop turns on while it's plugged in, but does not charge the battery, right? Are you sure the battery's fully connected to the laptop? Maybe it just has a loose connection?

nonlinear
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
if it's plugged into the wall, you should be able to power up the laptop even when the battery isn't installed. if that's not working, you have an issue with your outlet, your cord, or the connection on the laptop.

make sure that the outlet works, the two pieces of the power cord are firmly connected to eachother, and the cord is firmly attached to the laptop.

if that doesn't work, you need to take the laptop to a repair center.

as for charging, the batt will charge whenever it's connected to the wall. when i'm working i usually just leave it plugged in all the time.

Eleanor
04-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by hattonlynch
i'm actually really smart....

topmade
04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Take battery out and plug in power adapter. If it works, power adapter is fine. If it doesn't, adapter is dead or power port in laptop is broken.

Next, unplug adapter and put battery in. If it works, then your fine, stop worrying and get some rest. If it doesn't your battery is dead or charging unit in the laptop is not working.

Also depending on your brand of laptop, some manufactures like HP have battery tester software you can download for free and test your battery.

Supa Dexta
04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Make sure you are pressing the power button, and you may need to hold it down a second for it to turn on.

Ukyo8
04-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Waaaait a minute, so you know how to make an account and post on a forum, but you don't know how to charge a laptop? :rofl:

haha jk

Sophal
04-14-2009, 10:11 PM
I had a problem similar to the OP with my dell notebook. Plugged in, good connection (nothing loose), notebook powers on but during POST it would say it couldn't recognize the power adapter. Turned out the male connector from the adapter was done, even though it had really no visible damage. Had to buy a new one which fixed my problem. Perhaps the OP has the same thing going on.