PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

SoSlowDx
10-20-2003, 08:34 PM
What's a good one out there for a student?
:dunno:

I'm thinking of getting one and a wireless card but heard it's not safe to get a wireless card b/c hackers can hack into your laptop very easily.

That.Guy.S30
10-20-2003, 08:49 PM
hahah becuase you do online banking and you might be afraid someone might get your code... hahahahaahaah damn comsci class

thich
10-20-2003, 09:00 PM
make sure you get one with a good chunk of level 1 cache memory.

my friend's Toshiba is more "powerful" than my HP but my HP is a lot more faster than his in comparison of loading times and processing time.

get one with the centrino technology.... i wish they had it back then when i bought mine.

D'z Nutz
10-20-2003, 09:02 PM
It really depends on your budget... I'm waiting for Futureshop to include a free wireless router with their laptops myself before purchasing a laptop. Keep an eye on their flyers every weekend, cause each week they give away something different with their laptops. It's usually cheap gear, but it's still free! :D

Centrino's are nice. They have integrated wireless and a battery life of around ~5 hrs. Just wish they had Linux support for it :banghead:

Dope Dealer
10-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Apple iBook/PowerBook :)

ninjak84
10-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I'm waiting for Futureshop to include a free wireless router with their laptops myself before purchasing a laptop.

Haha, me too.

D'z Nutz
10-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Haha, me too.

Hopefully this weekend or the weekend after. Should be soon, cause they've already given away the free digital cameras and printers.

SoSlowDx
10-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by surfertech
hahah becuase you do online banking and you might be afraid someone might get your code... hahahahaahaah damn comsci class

haha had a feeling you going to say that!

SoSlowDx
10-20-2003, 09:37 PM
yeah going to keep an eye on Futureshop

sandman
10-20-2003, 10:13 PM
i know a guy w/ a toshiba 2.4 ghz, 512 sdram, a10 satellite ready n what not, internet ready too i think
selling cheap too, doenst know how to use half the shit on it so he jus wants a siimpler one
PM me offers
and no low balling lol, we're university students, we are poor lol

Dope Dealer
10-20-2003, 11:53 PM

Hopefully this weekend or the weekend after. Should be soon, cause they've already given away the free digital cameras and printers.

What kind of DigiCams and Printers were they?

When I got my Laptop, I got a free printer and $300 off an iPod (Apple store of course).

Stratus_Power
10-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

When I got my Laptop, I got a free printer and $300 off an iPod (Apple store of course).

but those damn apply laptop are soo damn expensive :O

nice laptop though, defintly my dream laptop.. w/ Tablet PC to follow

saw the 17inch one ( apple) at london drugs the other day, almost pissed myself

D'z Nutz
10-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

Nothing fancy. They were only worth about ~$100 anyways. Mac's got some sweet deals when you buy their stuff though. Too bad you have to buy a Mac! Hahaha! Just kidding :D

Just go to the Futureshop website, find a laptop, and click on special offer or special deal or something like that. It'll show you what it comes with.

Dope Dealer
10-21-2003, 12:20 AM

Nothing fancy. They were only worth about ~$100 anyways. Mac's got some sweet deals when you buy their stuff though. Too bad you have to buy a Mac! Hahaha! Just kidding :D

Just go to the Futureshop website, find a laptop, and click on special offer or special deal or something like that. It'll show you what it comes with.

Hahah, I only use it as a Laptop. I have a Dell Desktop for everything I usually do (2.8 GHz, Radeon 9800 :D) which will be good for a while I hope.

D'z Nutz
10-21-2003, 12:25 AM
I'm just buggin ya. Actually I was considering getting an iBook myself, but for the price you pay, you can get so much more with a pc-based laptop.

Dope Dealer
10-21-2003, 12:30 AM
I'm just buggin ya. Actually I was considering getting an iBook myself, but for the price you pay, you can get so much more with a pc-based laptop.

Haha, yeah, I know :)

Yeah, I was going to get an iBook at first, then I decided against it because then I saw the PowerBooks.... So nice. I'll probably sell myn within the year when the new G5 PowerBooks come out (Probably next December is when they are coming or so).

If I were to get a PC based laptop, IBM ThinkPad is by far the best built laptop on the market today.

roopi
10-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by SoSlowDx
I'm thinking of getting one and a wireless card but heard it's not safe to get a wireless card b/c hackers can hack into your laptop very easily.

Use WEP and you have no worries. Don't just plug in your router and leave it if you are really that concerned about your homework being stolen.

Weapon_R
10-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Your budget will tell us everything.

I'm pretty happy with my Compaq Armada, and you can get one like mine (800mhz PIII) for really cheap these days.

I've just began using the wireless network at the University and it's very good so far. In both MacHall and the info commons i've had nothing but success.

D'z Nutz
10-24-2003, 01:34 AM
Yup, just as suspected the free wireless router came around again for this week. It'll probably come back around next month again too...

If they continue the same thrend as the last little while, I think the freebies each week are as follows:

usb flash stick, digital camera, printer, wireless router, then back around again. I could be forgetting one more thing....