PDA

View Full Version : Requesting days off. How should I approach this?

HiTempguy1
04-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Ok, this may get long:

I worked for the City of Red Deer for over a year, and then went back to school. I've been rehired in a summer position in the same department. Now here's the kicker; I need 2 full weeks off over the 4 months I'll be there. I had taken a similiar amount of time off last year, but that was over the course of a year. To top it all off, my former boss would have been cool with it, but we have a new boss with my old boss supervising the whole division.

When I was first hired two years ago, I did bring a schedule to me with the interview. I told my former boss that I didn't want to waste his time, and I was upfront about the days that I would require. The old boss was a hardass though, and I think he appreciated my firm, no-nonsense attitude about it. I told him "These are the days off I'll need, I never get sick, I'm never late, I just need this specific time". The worst thing about it is that its not evenly dispersed. Basically, the last Friday of may, then the first Wednesday of June to the 2nd wednesday of June, then that Friday off, work the next whole week, then need the final full week of june wed, thurs, fri off.

Essentially June is a cluster-fawk. I don't need any other time off other then that. Should I go see my new boss early before I start work on the first monday of May? Or wait until I've gotten to know him better after two weeks? I can cancel the week off needed at the beginning of June, but it sure would make me sad (last time I'll probably be able to go to vegas and take a week straight off like that for a while). The nice thing is that my job is not mission critical (stuff can be put off/delayed, its the gubment afterall). Especially if I end up painting hydrants (did that for two months) they probably won't give a crap (me taking time off = money in budget saved). Your thoughts?

TomcoPDR
04-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Just tell him in reasonable time in a few days, just to prevent a: "why are you just telling me this now? it's hard to find someone to fill in with this short notice, etc..."

adidas
04-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Thats a tough one. Best to go see him as early as possible, try an have a meeting with your new and old boss at the same time, that way he can vouch for your work ethic.

Best of luck!

prae
04-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Personally I dont see what's tough about it. Every four month summer job I had I stated I would be taking two weeks of holidays, and none of them had a problem with it.

However, I took two weeks consecutively not some fucking mess like you propose. If I was your boss I'd probably be frustrated with you suggesting something like that.

leftwing
04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
i would definatly tell him earlier rather then later as other employeees may require the same time off as you and it might come down to first come first served....

your boss shouldnt care about your takin time off.... its summer most people go away at some point.