PDA

View Full Version : what to buy for family in HK?

MintRacer
04-14-2009, 11:50 PM
So I'm going to HK next week.

I want to buy my gramps some liquor, but I wanted to get him something that's a little more rarer than he has over there.

Now it's been over 12 years since I've been back, so I'm unsure of what is rare over there?

I initally thought ice wine, but I guess they have all that stuff over there too now that's dime a dozen.

What do HK'er's usually want to buy from Canada when they visit us?

crzycroat
04-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Souvenirs from Banff? :dunno: Nah I'm just kidding. You can pretty much get anything in HK so I'm not quite sure. Maybe something more personal and sentimental rather then liquor. :dunno: That's my 2 cents.

MintRacer
04-15-2009, 12:05 AM
well I'm not really sure what to get my gramps that's sentimental, as I havn't even seen him in over 12 years.

But I do remember that he likes to throw back a glass of liquor with dinner.

Maybe I should just stick with the tried and true Hennessy or Remmy?

Is there really a Canadian brand that's comparable?

TomcoPDR
04-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Iced wine??? Canadian hooker? Canadian maple syrup, bulk vitamins from Costco, shampoo.

crzycroat
04-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Iced wine??? Canadian hooker? Canadian maple syrup, bulk vitamins from Costco, shampoo.

Bulk vitamins are always a big hit with the elders :thumbsup:

MintRacer
04-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I'm sure my gramps gets all the putang he wants, all I see him wear is a wife beater with dress pants and gold rolly.

like I mentioned before, I don't think ice wine is that big of a deal there anymore, someone mentioned they saw ice wine at the local sev. Bulk vitamins is news to me, I don't think my own parents even take that crap.

GQBalla
04-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by crzycroat

Bulk vitamins are always a big hit with the elders :thumbsup:

my mom always brings back tylenol, vitamins and such when she goes to visit my grandma in HK.

btw OP your grandpa is a gangster ahahha

cooperS
04-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Glucosamine Sulfate from Costco

Ginseng candies from Chinatown so he can share with his buddy

lotions - they are not as good in canada and quite expensive too.
- my mom usually buy healing garden or the life brand from shoppers.

if you still want something about ice wine, the vancouver airport duty free sells these boxes of ice wine chocolates.

Eibbus
04-15-2009, 08:12 AM
home made maple syrup.

Phihalo
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
i,d say smoke salmon, iced wine, gap tees... Stay away from syrup as there's Shit load of ants. Good luck!

Euro838
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Glysomed! Good hand lotion that I don't think they have over there. Everyone that comes here that knows about that stuff always brings back a shit load.

Not sure if he's into electronics but surprisingly, electronics are actually cheaper here in Canada/US than over there.

bighead2267
04-15-2009, 09:35 AM
just my 2 cents but i bring toothpaste to HK(no kidding), they dont' sell those colorful Colgate toothpaste there. i have alot of family member love it

Also as Euro said. i have alot of order from HK that want that lotion as well.

also, any drugs, pills you can get from Costco is way cheaper than get it from HK.
very good example...........Calcium (don't remember how to spell:banghead: )

hope that helps

TomcoPDR
04-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by bighead2267
just my 2 cents but i bring toothpaste to HK(no kidding),

What's wrong with their toothpaste?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/81440640_8c3352f5e3.jpg

Darkie will kick Johnson&Johnson's (both of 'em) ass anytime.

aych
04-15-2009, 10:59 AM
uh. yeah smoke salmon, ice wine... cereals.. dont bother bringing toothpaste or electronics or any cheap chinatown crap.. the stuff over there is wayyy better

Rstar
04-15-2009, 10:59 AM
haha my girlfriends family always brings them smoked salmon and hennessy when visiting.

imo it makes more sense to bring some good ol' Canadian rye whiskey. But my opinion counts for shit! heh

cdnsir
04-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Anything ginseng and anything salmon (canned or smoked).

autumnrain
04-15-2009, 11:26 AM
louie XIII
eddy you can't go wrong!!!

MintRacer
04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by autumnrain
louie XIII
eddy you can't go wrong!!!

Louie XIII? if I remember correctly isn't that the bottle that's usually locked in the display case? I don't think there's any point going that crazy. For one thing I'm pretty sure I'm not on the will.

Ebon
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Salmon and beef is what my relatives always pick up when they are here. Apparently, both suck in HK.