PDA

View Full Version : Seeking minor accident advice.

Legless_Marine2
04-15-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm a fairly new driver, with 1 month on the road.

Last week, I Scraped a womans car while backing out of a parking spot. Her car's already a beater. In fact, I think there may be more damage to my own van, which was previously pristine.

She'd like to get a quote on paint touchup, and split the cost, but I'm not sure if that's fair given pre-existing impact damage and rust on her car.

I'm hesitant to involve insurance, but have a fair bit of damage to my own van, and wonder if I may be better going off that route and getting both her and my damage taken care of in the same shot.

Any guidance appreciated...

Hers:
http://s01060000b4c5602e.cg.shawcable.net/tmp/IMAGE_233.jpg

Mine:
http://s01060000b4c5602e.cg.shawcable.net/tmp/IMAGE_238.jpg

GQBalla
04-15-2009, 11:11 AM
what was the damage on her car before hand?

Legless_Marine2
04-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
what was the damage on her car before hand?

A fist-sized dent, with a large ridge of rust along the top of it, along with other minor dings, scrapes, and rust spots.

My contribution is the horizontal white scratches.

Here's a close-up:

http://s01060000b4c5602e.cg.shawcable.net/tmp/IMAGE_235.jpg

GQBalla
04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
make sure to tell her that, if all you did was the horizontal white scratches id just go polish it off for her and tell her to live with it

Legless_Marine2
04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
make sure to tell her that, if all you did was the horizontal white scratches id just go polish it off for her and tell her to live with it

I wish that were the case, but unfortunately, there's physical scrapes as well.... even once the white vinyl were whiped off, there'd be visible scratches on the paint, which would eventually get rusted as well...

Kloubek
04-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Shitty situation when you hit someone with obvious damage.

Tell her you'll be happy to pay for the repair, but to have the quote break down the cost to remove the dent she already had, as well as remove the rust, and to repaint.

Then you pay for the repaint only.

Since she probably doesn't give two shits about the car, tell her that you'd be willing just to pay her cash in lieu of the paint.

Make sure you have her sign off that the issue is resolved.

As a new driver, you probably don't want to make yourself appear as a higher risk at this point if you can avoid it, or they will kill you on premium increases.

rumeo
04-15-2009, 02:52 PM
What's the quote to fix the damage on your vehicle?

chkolny541
04-15-2009, 04:51 PM
how fast were you traveling in said parking lot, the van looks like you knocked the bumper in pretty .

and i would advice on kloubeks advice

hampstor
04-15-2009, 05:38 PM

:rofl: - remember, he's trying to NOT go thru insurance. She will fuck him over if he says that.

leglass marine2, just from looking at the pictures, if the scratches are as deep as it looks (looks like some spots down to the sheetmetal), you're going to have to repaint the panel and the whole bumper cover. It's not going to be cheap - go and get an estimate on it. Don't be surprised if it's over 1G - nothing is cheap when it involves an autobody shop.

Kloubek's got some good advice there - your best bet is to settle with her on a cash amount. best of luck

ExtraSlow
04-15-2009, 05:57 PM
This is probably over 1g, and as such, I think it needs a police report.
I agree that you should try to pay her cash, and make sure she signs something stating that she has no further claim against you. Offer her five hundred bucks, her car is probably only worth a couple G's and she'll think she's hit the lottery.

sxtothe240
04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Check or call www.probodyparts.com to see if they have the year/make/model of her/your car.

I worked there for a couple months awhile back. They deal with a lot of autowrecker companies that fix damages and such. They carry lights/fenders/hoods/bumper covers....etc just OEM replacements.

I don't think you'll find a quarter panel from them though, as that's what it looks like you'll be replacing for her. But for your van, i'm pretty sure you could pick up a front bumper from them for around 150-200? Then just go somewhere to paint.

Legless_Marine2
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

Kloubek's got some good advice there - your best bet is to settle with her on a cash amount. best of luck

I agree - Kloubek's advice makes sense.

I called her up last night, and offered $300. She said she had an estimate for $800 that she'd split. Still less than my deductible, so I took her up on it.

Meeting her tonight to sign paperwork and give cash.

Thanks to everyone who replies - your insights are really appreciated.

donnie533
04-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Now you need to learn how to drive.
If you can't even manage in a parking lot - do us all a favour and stay off the roads.