PDA

View Full Version : Car in impound

jomama3737
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey my car is from Ontario and my registration expired so i have to get an out of province inspection. In the mean time I have been getting In Transit tags so i can drive it to the mechaincs. The last one that I had expired and I was driving it back to my house. A cop had someone pulled over on 17th and I saw that they were finishing up so I tried to get home a.s.a.p. and I managed to park my car and walk in my house. When I left my house again I saw a cop towing my car. So i got a hold of the cop and she said that she towed it cause it was marked with no insurance and no registration. So all she said she wants is proof of insurance and for me to go talk to her on Monday before she takes the hold off my car in the impound. The only real question that i have is can they nail me for driving it even tho they didnt "catch" me driving it. Same idea has the photo radar right? Any information on this would be great... sorry for the long read.

JTC180
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
If it was parked on the road and was not registered/insured etc, thats still illigal im pretty sure.

jomama3737
04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
It is insured and the in transit works as temporary registration while i get the out of province... that isnt the issue, can they ticket me for anything seeing how they dont have proof that it was me driving it.

chkolny541
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by jomama3737
The only real question that i have is can they nail me for driving it even tho they didnt "catch" me driving it. Same idea has the photo radar right?

how do you know she didnt "catch" you?

berbatov
04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
they have no proof you were driving it ... but whoever was driving the car was doing it without a registration / insurance .

HJow much to take it out of impound ?

JTC180
04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes

schocker
04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
If they see the car moving, they can tow it, in transit is for going to the garage from your home only, they can tow it if they see it parked elsewhere.

jomama3737
04-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Well if the in transit wasnt expired i could have it on the road, but i was in my house by the time that they found the car. so they didnt see me driving it. they said that all i have to pay is the inital towing fee, they said that they will cover the cost of the daily fee.

schocker
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I had a few in transits in the summer and the guy explained to me it can be towed if it is just parked anywhere as it is to take to the mechanic to get an inspection so if i drove somewhere and parked like at a store or something, it could be towed. Kind of stupid if you ask me.

jomama3737
04-15-2009, 05:07 PM
ya when i called them they said that i could park it on the street if they were still valid, but since they are only a week it expired i was just about to get another one so i wouldnt have a problem, i just need to know if i can get charged or not since the cop didnt pull me over and see ME in the car.

schocker
04-15-2009, 05:08 PM
oh ok. I dont think you can be charged since you were not driving so that should be fine.

jomama3737
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
okay cool, i just dont want to get slapped with a ticket when i walk in the door lol