PDA

View Full Version : Tipping when getting food to go ?

Pages : [1] 2

jfulton
04-16-2009, 12:24 AM
What are your thoughts ?

Whenever i get food to go .
I show up when they say its ready, go to pay interac .then it asks
you tip amount .
I always feel like a douche when i hit no tip . but what service has been provided .
Like wise there are times where the waitress give me a look for not tipping .

I would think 2 minutes of there time to get your food from the back should not warrant a tip . Or should it ?

thoughs please
thanks

95EagleAWD
04-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Absolutely not.

I tip a waitress for service, not a fast food joint for food.

96integra
04-16-2009, 01:17 AM
^ He's not talking about a fast food joint. I used to be a waiter, and surprisingly, alot of people tip when they order take out.

Boat
04-16-2009, 01:42 AM
I think it depends on the complexity of the order. If its just a burger and fries then there's no real point.

If they order 1 burger sub salad, chicken strip dinner, coleslaw, poutine fries, gravy on side. 2 Strawberry milkshakes.... . Depending on the time of the night/staffing the server can still be very busy. Whats the harm in throwing a couple of bucks their way?

95EagleAWD
04-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by 96integra
^ He's not talking about a fast food joint. I used to be a waiter, and surprisingly, alot of people tip when they order take out.

Okay, I figured he was talking about a place like Wok Box, where it's not quite fast food, but close.

I don't really order "take out", like from a restaurant, that often.

eglove
04-16-2009, 01:59 AM
No. Not at all.

edit: well, the exception is thi thi's and i've been going there forever. they are always friendly, and always remember me.

Team_Mclaren
04-16-2009, 02:45 AM
If you are ordering takeout from a chinese resturant, I dont think anyone expects you to pay tips for takeout

fcukda
04-16-2009, 03:03 AM
most servers have to tip out even if its a take out, its really annoying haveing to serve someone and lose money in the process!

Supa Dexta
04-16-2009, 03:46 AM
I dont know if I believe that^...

Why would they allow it if was known to lose money... Not many business operate that way unless you're in the NA auto industry.

http://www.jents.com/instrument-gfx/pearl-drumset.jpg

superboss
04-16-2009, 04:06 AM
This tip thing has really got me going for a while now. Tim Hortons at my house has tip jars and the bloody people behind the counter expect a tip when all I get is a coffee.

It pisses me off, I think tips are up to you and the service or any service provided, when you feel relavent or that it is deserved!!!!

dropdat
04-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by fcukda
most servers have to tip out even if its a take out, its really annoying haveing to serve someone and lose money in the process!

Almost all places make the servers tip out, so if you don't tip then it means that the person who rang in your order just paid to serve you. That's the only reason I tip when I get takeout.

As for places like Booster Juice which are fast food I always hit no tip because they don't lose anything besides a tip they don't deserve.

The_Rural_Juror
04-16-2009, 07:09 AM

Actually, most restaurants have the hostess punch in the phone-in-takeout orders under their own account so that servers don't have to tip out.

luv2ride_bikes
04-16-2009, 07:15 AM
I never tip when getting take out food. but I do feel guilty for hitting $0 on the interac machine when it asks for tip.

topmade
04-16-2009, 07:26 AM
I'll admit I do for takeout, but only if it's a restaurant and not just a take out joint. But it's usually very little because I will just round up to the nearest dollar or so.

GQBalla
04-16-2009, 07:29 AM
this happened to me at papa johns i didn't tip because i went to go pick it up.

i tip when people serve me, and i don't think someone handing me a box while behind the counter is considered serving

Masked Bandit
04-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Never.

Heff
04-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Tipping your regularly visited restaurants gets you better service.

You'd be surprised how many in the food industry will remember things like:

"Douchebag from 15 Macewan Glen Rise never tips."

"Orders from 15 Macewan Glen Rise always come with a good tip."

Moezer
04-16-2009, 08:02 AM
lol depends where u go if it takes for ever to get ready ill ask for a tip for waiting on my food to be ready lol, but most of the time when i go out to eat i tip 3 to 5 bucks and some times only the change i get back... a good service is when the waiter comes every 10 or so mins to ask if you need water or how is the food or do you want another drink or a refill i like when that happens and thats when i tip 5 bucks, but not getting that and u have to get up ur self and ask for water and u walk up to the desk and get it ur self thats fucked lol and some places they dont even ask u nothing or come to your table to ask if we need any thing those kinda get 0 from me :D or the pennies i get back if i pay with cash. But to go and just pick your food up and leave i wouldn't tip

sputnik
04-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Heff
Tipping your regularly visited restaurants gets you better service.

You'd be surprised how many in the food industry will remember things like:

"Douchebag from 15 Macewan Glen Rise never tips."

"Orders from 15 Macewan Glen Rise always come with a good tip."

Delivery isn't part of this discussion.

We are talking about take-out orders.

They don't know who I am until I walk in the door and pick up my order.

Wildcat
04-16-2009, 08:14 AM
The only places i get take out from are Chinese/Viet/Thai food joints, etc... and these asian establishments aren't exactly known for their service lol. So the quick answer is no, never. :rofl:

Kloubek
04-16-2009, 08:34 AM
I do not tip for take-out orders.

Yet, I tend to tip fairly healthy when I sit down...

Heff
04-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Delivery isn't part of this discussion.

We are talking about take-out orders.

They don't know who I am until I walk in the door and pick up my order.

I bet you're wrong. (Specifically for reg. visited restaurants, and phoned in orders.)

If you phone your order in, and they ask for identifying info like phone number or name/address, they likely remember if you treat them well, or rub them the wrong way.

Tik-Tok
04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
No. Never for take-out. If the waitress has to tip-out for my order, she should take it up with management, not me.

3g4u
04-16-2009, 03:40 PM
I only tip places I go to regularly. Other then that, never really.

ExtraSlow
04-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Moezer
lol depends where u go if it takes for ever to get ready ill ask for a tip for waiting on my food to be ready lol, but most of the time when i go out to eat i tip 3 to 5 bucks and some times only the change i get back... a good service is when the waiter comes every 10 or so mins to ask if you need water or how is the food or do you want another drink or a refill i like when that happens and thats when i tip 5 bucks, but not getting that and u have to get up ur self and ask for water and u walk up to the desk and get it ur self thats fucked lol and some places they dont even ask u nothing or come to your table to ask if we need any thing those kinda get 0 from me :D or the pennies i get back if i pay with cash. But to go and just pick your food up and leave i wouldn't tip :english:

beyond_ban
04-16-2009, 04:20 PM
^^ Sorry, english is one of the few languages Moezer does not speak.

nonlinear
04-16-2009, 04:27 PM
to answer the question,...

fuck no!

w_man
04-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I hate those machines with the tip option. I feel this whole tipping thing has gotten out of control with this added social pressure to it. I can understand people should be compensated for their work but I really don't appreciate the way this industry has gone with tipping.

Tipping has become more mandatory instead of a personal choice. I was in Montreal and this waitress actually confronted a group of people who were about to leave. I guess it was a mistake (or not) but they left her only a $10 tip.

I think the management needs to pay their employees their wage and not set this standard that we will pay you X amount PLUS your tips - the expectations start from here and adds to this entire horseshit of a social pressure.

Hell i even prefer places which simply let you know in advance that we will add 15% gratuity to the bill.

pyroza
04-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Nope. No tip on take out orders

jsn
04-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Absolutely not. I wouldn't consider myself cheap either for not doing so. I tip for SERVICE. Take out is not service IMO. They do not wait at your table or clean up afterwards etc.

Redlyne_jr
04-16-2009, 05:49 PM
everywhere has this option now like baseline fast food joints.. Pita Pit does this..:thumbsdow

ixlr8
04-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Tip everyone that works a job that you wouldn't want to work.

Be a good human being.

There are typically reasons you are where you are in life, in addition to your hard work. Good luck, wealthy parents, genetic gifts, friendships, etc.

Not everyone who works hard has those things. SO, help them out a little bit, be a positive factor in somebody's life.

The price I pay for an item or service typically goes to people that don't truly need it. The tip I add typically goes to somebody who does truly need it.

Give to everyone that is making your life easier.

Spread wealth, because you can't take it with you when you die on the way home from the take out place.

Or just keep focusing on yourself, and those in your small circle...

I know what I choose.

nonlinear
04-16-2009, 07:32 PM
^lol. too bad there isn't a 'jacking off' emoticon.

Tik-Tok
04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
^lol. too bad there isn't a 'jacking off' emoticon.

http://www.ducati1098.net/forums/images/smilies/jerkoff.gif

nonlinear
04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
^hehe nice!

drtoohotty1
04-16-2009, 08:21 PM
i have to agree with most on here i usually hit no if i only go there a couple times a year but there is a chinese food place that i go to once every couple of weeks that is family run and super nice to me so i dont mind throwing 3 or 4 bucks onto the bill.

bubbley
04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Man its the recession!!

Weapon_R
04-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Worst is the takeout-only places who have the automatic tip request on their debits. Idiots.

jfulton
04-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Wow looks like I nailed a good thread.

I'd like to agree with the poster that
Made the comment on tipping becoming
A mandatory thing.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

I'm going to continue to tip
for great service , which for the most
Part does not inculde waiting
For my food in a crowded restrraunt
Lobby

aaronck
04-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Hit zero at Fatburger yesterday-what's the difference between there and Mcdonalds? About $7 for a combo I guess

Moezer
04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
^^ Sorry, english is one of the few languages Moezer does not speak.

GOT THAT RIGHT :whipped:

ekguy
04-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I serve and take out orders are a pain in the ass since servers are responsible for making them ready to go. Which means finding all the to go containers for sauce and everything which in some restaurants it's hard to find because they are always running out.

Plus some of the tip goes to the kitchen as well so it's not like you'd only be tipping the server.

Big thing is that when it's a busy night and you're swamped and you have to get a take out order you are going to be ignoring your tables for a few minutes...What seems like a couple minutes to a server can seem like an eternity to a waiting customer. So getting a to go order ready for a customer on a busy night will usually affect our tips negatively since we are now serving a to go customer instead of our tables...

Not saying leave a huge tip but even 2 or 3 bucks will usually offset the tip we may lose by ignoring the table while we pack your shit in bags and get sauces, and get you to pay...

And yes most people do tip at least a bit for to go orders...Well other than cheap people I guess...But I definitely don't hold it against a customer if they pick up and it's super dead, at this point I have no qualms about getting a to go order since i am not ignoring my customers if i have none hehe.

w_man
04-17-2009, 12:04 PM
^^ see that's the thing. No disrespect to you at all and I understand serving can be a difficult task. You should be compensated for your work ... by your employer!! The scenario you have described is your employers job .. the industry needs to understand that when you as a server are handling to-go orders, you are neglecting your seated customers. There should be a solid solution to this problem instead of leaving it up to a band aid solution of compensation via tipping. If this means to increase the cost of their food, so be it.

I think the employer is reducing their cost in order to attract the business to make more profits, while paying less to their staff and utilizing this 'tipping' tactic in order to maintain a low turn-around in staffing. Both customers and employees get screwed here. Customers with this 'hidden cost' and employees with limited 'guaranteed' income.

With the recession looming, more and more servers will get screwed out of this 'income'. I think the industry should revamp this entire notion of tipping and the social pressure should be removed from the consumers.

nonlinear
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
And yes most people do tip at least a bit for to go orders...Well other than cheap people I guess...

what?!!?? quit lying, dude. i'm 30 years old and eat out A LOT, with lots of different people, and i've never seen anyone tip on a take out order.

EDIT: and, with all due respect, if you're gonna bitch about having to do your job, or not getting paid enough to do it, find another fucking job. jesus. servers are pretty much the only people who bitch and blame everyone else for their shitty job and salary. :facepalm: imagine if servers had to pay taxes on their wages like everyone else.

szw
04-17-2009, 12:12 PM

what?!!?? quit lying, dude. i'm 30 years old and eat out A LOT, with lots of different people, and i've never seen anyone tip on a take out order.

EDIT: and, with all due respect, if you're gonna bitch about having to do your job, or not getting paid enough to do it, find another fucking job. jesus. servers are pretty much the only people who bitch about their job and what they get paid. :facepalm:

I've seen a few people tip on takeout orders...I'd say about 1 in 15 will leave a tip on a takeout order just based on my own experiences.

m3_powered
04-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree with nonlinear here. I never tip on take-out unless either I frequent the place often or I know they'd really gone out of the're way to pack me my food.

Isaiah
04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I used to bartend at Earls and all the takeout orders were rung in at the bar. Approximately half of the customers would tip. For the regulars, about 3/4 would tip.

nonlinear
04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
^^well that's just ridiculous. i'd be willing to bet that most of those take-out tipping ballers aren't doing THAT anymore - if they're even getting takeout these days haha.

just think, all those spare loonies and toonies i saved by not tipping on take-out may be what has 'recession-proofed' my lifestyle. that or my pay raise :poosie:

EDIT: i do tip my bartenders well, though :thumbsup:

ekguy
04-17-2009, 03:21 PM
These are all reasons why I'm happy I work for a private golf course now cuz I get an automatic 15% of everything I sell and let's just say the bills aren't small haha. And no to go orders ever.

zain123
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
most people that get take out at our restaurant usually tip
i would say 70% will tip avg.

Isaiah
04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
^^well that's just ridiculous. i'd be willing to bet that most of those take-out tipping ballers aren't doing THAT anymore - if they're even getting takeout these days haha.

just think, all those spare loonies and toonies i saved by not tipping on take-out may be what has 'recession-proofed' my lifestyle. that or my pay raise :poosie:

EDIT: i do tip my bartenders well, though :thumbsup:
You're out of the loop brother. You think like a non-tipper because you are an non-tipper. Ask those who actually flip a few bucks when they pick up their takeout and you'll find it's not that hard for us to justify. I personally don't see any harm in tipping someone a few bucks. They can use it to pay for whip cream.

jfulton
04-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by w_man
^^ see that's the thing. No disrespect to you at all and I understand serving can be a difficult task. You should be compensated for your work ... by your employer!! The scenario you have described is your employers job .. the industry needs to understand that when you as a server are handling to-go orders, you are neglecting your seated customers. There should be a solid solution to this problem instead of leaving it up to a band aid solution of compensation via tipping. If this means to increase the cost of their food, so be it.

I think the employer is reducing their cost in order to attract the business to make more profits, while paying less to their staff and utilizing this 'tipping' tactic in order to maintain a low turn-around in staffing. Both customers and employees get screwed here. Customers with this 'hidden cost' and employees with limited 'guaranteed' income.

With the recession looming, more and more servers will get screwed out of this 'income'. I think the industry should revamp this entire notion of tipping and the social pressure should be removed from the consumers.

Im in full agrrement here .
Not to say that if I have an excellent experience with a take out order , and i can see the waitress runnin off her feet cause of a busy night , and still handles me proffesionally , then maybe ill toss her that tip .

But I mean you tip say 15% on a meal that takes a total in and out time of 1hr 15mins.

Then what should you tip a waitress for a 7 min grab food and check out ?

This is where I think it should be rectified by the employer if indeed , the employee is suffering . (after all the resturant is still pulling in the money off my order )

hmmm......

pyroza
04-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Here's the thing if servers were paid a set amount and didn't get tips: they wouldn't have motivation to do a good job. Most servers try their best because they know if they do a good job, they'll get a nice tip. If they don't get tips and are guaranteed pay for their work, they won't do nearly as good a job. Why do you think lots of people that work retail aren't usually very helpful?

max_boost
04-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Not another tipping thread ........ :eek:

No you don't have to tip on take out. It's fine. The staff shouldn't be giving you dirty looks anyway.

If you want to tip, that's fine too. If you think the place serves great food, staff is always friendly etc.etc.

There are a million reasons why you should and shouldn't tip so I'm going to avoid that.

Originally posted by szw

I've seen a few people tip on takeout orders...I'd say about 1 in 15 will leave a tip on a takeout order just based on my own experiences.

Something like that.

I just got an $8 tip on a $27 pick up order. I was surprised but any tip is always appreciated.

Originally posted by ekguy
These are all reasons why I'm happy I work for a private golf course now cuz I get an automatic 15% of everything I sell and let's just say the bills aren't small haha. And no to go orders ever.

My buddy worked at one in the NW and he loved the 15% tip thing haha but he was actually a really good server, very personable, all the quality attributes etc. so he didn't just sit back and collect.

nonlinear
04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

You're out of the loop brother. You think like a non-tipper because you are an non-tipper. Ask those who actually flip a few bucks when they pick up their takeout and you'll find it's not that hard for us to justify. I personally don't see any harm in tipping someone a few bucks. They can use it to pay for whip cream.

i tip for service, yo. when i go to a restaurant with excellent service (mi tierra and catch, off the top of my head), i usually tip about 25-30%. however, when i go somewhere with shit service, i don't tip at all. i tip 10% for standard service.

wtf, there is no service with take out. next thing you know, we'll have people on here whining about working at McDonalds and expecting a tip.

EDIT: take it from my man max_boost (see post above), who works in the industry.

Trini
04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Worst is the takeout-only places who have the automatic tip request on their debits. Idiots.

:werd:

Amysicle
04-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by pyroza
If they don't get tips and are guaranteed pay for their work, they won't do nearly as good a job. I always had this idea that you would be fired if you were underperforming at work, especially in this economy. I guess a lot of people don't think that way so it wouldn't be a motivating factor to them.

Why do you think lots of people that work retail aren't usually very helpful? Typically I find this happens because of:
-horrible training practices;
-management who don't give a shit and that attitude seeps down to the lowest level; and
-people who figure if this job doesn't work out, they can go to the next dead-end, entry level job to put in the minimal effort and wonder why they can't get ahead in life.

How would you explain really helpful/friendly staff when they don't make commission/tips?

msommers
04-22-2009, 12:29 AM
I'll never tip for takeout, but I think the only things I takeout are pizza or pho.

And wtf is up with the tipping option at the Good Earth in ICT. People are expecting a tip cuz they can pour a coffee? Is starbucks like that too?

bignerd
04-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Hard to say really, I tip when I get a pizza delivered, but they are so quick and I always feel bad for the asian kid because my dog runs out and is all excited to see him (I don't think he ((the kid)) feels the same way about my dog...) but he is good about it. Tip him a few bucks for driving a couple of blocks.

Take-out/pick up no I have not tipped.

Kind of interesting having just returned from Japan where tipping is not normal nor expected. Was really nice just paying your bill and leaving and not having to calculate what is a reasonable tip, 15% of this etc. etc. although sucked having to flag down a waiter to get your water refilled too...

Overall I wish we only had to tip when service was really outstanding...

RX_EVOLV
04-23-2009, 01:12 AM
ordered a booster juice couple weeks ago and the debit machine had the tipping option! retarded... took me like 30 secs to figure out how to enter $0.

they have since took the option off.... someone must've complained.

fcukda
04-23-2009, 01:50 AM
EDIT: take it from my man max_boost (see post above), who works in the industry.

From my experience 60% of people tip on take out orders, its not that uncommon.

max_boost
04-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Just pay cash next time, then you don't have to deal with the whole tipping on debit thing.

shower
05-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I think it's ok to tip for take out. It's sort of a nice gratitude of thanks that they put your food together nicely! :)

Jonel
05-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I'll never tip for takeout, but I think the only things I takeout are pizza or pho.

And wtf is up with the tipping option at the Good Earth in ICT. People are expecting a tip cuz they can pour a coffee? Is starbucks like that too?

A lot of people tip actually at GE and SBUX. I remember when I worked for the latter, I got $40-$70 a week just from tips. This was on 6th ave sw downtown, so we got lots of traffic. That's a big chunk of money.

The only thing I really do take out on is Pho and the place I go to have really nice people, so on a $40 order, I'll leave $5 just because the lady that runs the place packs extra stuff for me. $7 if this happy grandpa is there that always says "WONDERFUL FANTASTIC BEAUTIFUL" at every single thing.

dandia89
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
haha i remember going to the strippers once and you have to pay an entrance fee of like $5.00. So I pay with a $20, and she gives me my change, and she's like 'Tip jar is right here...' with some attitude. I reply 'okay, that's great?' and as I'm walking away she yells 'you fucking dick'.

I know its the rippers and everything, but i just find it hilarious how people expect a tip these days.

SilverGS
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
haha i remember going to the strippers once and you have to pay an entrance fee of like $5.00. So I pay with a $20, and she gives me my change, and she's like 'Tip jar is right here...' with some attitude. I reply 'okay, that's great?' and as I'm walking away she yells 'you fucking dick'.

I know its the rippers and everything, but i just find it hilarious how people expect a tip these days.

It's actually becoming quite annoying to me.

- Tip % seems to be on the rise. 10% used to be a normal tip. Nowadays its 15% and more and more 20% is becoming the new 15%.
- Fancy restaurants used to add 15% for parties of 8 or more. Now its 18% for 6 or more.
- Tip jars popping up in SB's and Fast food places
- Employees look at you expectedly like you should be giving them a tip for pouring you coffee and "DOING THERE JOB" that they get paid for.

I prefer the Australian way where employers actually pay their employees proper compensation so servers make $13-$15 working at regular restaurants. In turn the restaurant charges the customers more for a meal but the end price is the same as here with tip.

North American society is getting away from what a tip should be IMO. If someone goes out of there way to do something that is not absoluately required by their job to make things better for my experience and what not then sure I have no problem with tipping. If a server just takes my order, drops the food on the table and then is not seen again until the bill shows up, what have they done to deserve anything more than what their job pays them?

I used to feel that it was that way but more and more in the last few years its taken a turn for the worst.

GQBalla
05-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Saw a tip jar at the A&W downstairs at the plus 15's

snoop101
06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Here's the thing if servers were paid a set amount and didn't get tips: they wouldn't have motivation to do a good job. Most servers try their best because they know if they do a good job, they'll get a nice tip. If they don't get tips and are guaranteed pay for their work, they won't do nearly as good a job. Why do you think lots of people that work retail aren't usually very helpful?

I disagree with this. Most countries in Europe make it so they auto charge a specific amount on your bill for the tip and you get damn good service over there.

Its our culture here (or lack of it) thats all. In retail people dont care because they know they wont get fired. Fiance works with people like that. they shouldent have gotten the job in the first place and wont get fired because its to hard for the company to fire them or they just need the bodies in the store.

focusdriv3r
03-02-2011, 08:06 PM
yes? no?

like booster juice has an option.
all resturants have the option.

i alwasy tip when i eat in $20-$15 but i feel bad when i take out and they just stare at you expecting at tip. should i? do they split it with the cooks? who would get it? anyone working at a resturant cime in for your insight of what you guys expect.

Goodfella
03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Nope, no extensive service has been given. Do people tip mcdonalds?

focusdriv3r
03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
i never tipped before but its just been bothering me not knowing if they expect one or not. theres always this awkard silence.

slinkie
03-02-2011, 08:13 PM
rofl NO

Cos
03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Fuck no, I only tip at restaurants and if delivery was good you get a tip. Fuck if my pizza takes 1.5 hours you arent getting shit.

Fast food no.

Even today at the bottle depot. No. The guy didnt ring in the right amount and I saw it too so....

topmade
03-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Fast food type joints like booster juice = No.
Restaurant = Yes, but very little like 5-10%

Jlude
03-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Fuck no, I only tip at restaurants and if delivery was good you get a tip. Fuck if my pizza takes 1.5 hours you arent getting shit.

Fast food no.

Even today at the bottle depot. No. The guy didnt ring in the right amount and I saw it too so....

GQBalla
03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
fuck no

Hakkola
03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I tip a few bucks when I get take out from a restaurant, not much though.

Cos
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I tip a few bucks when I get take out from a restaurant, not much though.

may i ask why? Not that it isnt your right but i dont see the point. It would be like tipping your hostess.

drtoohotty1
03-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I do at a couple of places that are family run and that i have gone to for ever and they are like extended family

adidas
03-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Depends on my mood.

Being in the service industry, so far everyone that has taken out for what i can rmr has left some sort of tip. 1-2 bux is avg.

Graham_A_M
03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Maybe a couple bucks for their time to take my order and give it to me, but never more then a few bucks. Kind of a waste anyway at that in all reality.

ixlr8
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I do my best to tip everyone I am able, my own small version of wealth redistribution (God knows the rich aren’t doing it, so it’ll have to start with us little people). I have been blessed in so many ways; as such I like to share some of that with people who may not have been as blessed in life.

Disparity is one of the biggest problems facing us awoken monkeys. So many people work their asses off at jobs that no one would want, but they find themselves forced to take by the crap shoot of genetics, and a myriad of other forces beyond their control.

Be a good monkey, tip as often and in as many situations as you can. If they don’t have a tip jar, they have a hand.

And if appeal to reason doesn’t work, how about appeal to disgust… personally I want the people making my food to be as happy and motivated as possible, because THEY ARE MAKING MY FUCKING FOOD. Minimum wage isn’t much motivation to wash your hands that extra time or remake an order you spilt on the floor.

So if you are not interested in being a good monkey, at least be a smart monkey and realize that any extra motivation the person making your food has, is obviously to your advantage.

***EDIT*** Ha, I already posted in this thread a while back, haven't been on in a while and thought this was a new one, too funny... points still stand.

jwslam
03-02-2011, 09:01 PM
as a server at denny's whether you tip or not i have to throw in 2% of the bill to split amongst kitchen staff

so if you don't tip i make negative money

so now when i get take out i ask if they have to tip out so i know whether i should tip.

jaysas_63
03-02-2011, 09:31 PM
when i take out i tip 10% or 2 bux, whichever is higher.

when i have food delivered i usually tip 15ish%

when i eat in I tip 20% (25-30% if its one of my regular joints or exceptional service AKA: really hot bitch:rofl: )

EDIT: to make this more comprehensive for those who care lol

Fast food/ coffee joints: if i use cash, i might throw a few quarters in the jar depending on how i feel, if i use debit they're SOL.

coat check girl: a few bucks if i want to avoid theft of my jacket (its happened)

no tip for cover girl

bathroom "tissue guy": ill try to grab my own tissue/use a sink far away from him, so i don't use his "service" but if the guy ends up waiting on me, ill jack him for some gum/ cheap cologne, and leave him a dollar or two.

valet service: 5 dollar bill ( i get paranoid they'll fuck with my car if i don't hahahah)

Taxi: 10% with minimum of 2 bux.

dirtsniffer
03-02-2011, 09:46 PM
haha when I go pick up food I through 5 loonies down on the counter. For every minute I stand there I take one back. lol

flipstah
03-02-2011, 10:32 PM
If I'm a regular there, I tip. :)

Bizzareo
03-02-2011, 10:47 PM
If its a fast food joint, or Asian/"to go" restaurant then hell no.

But if its some place that you would typically sit down for (Earls, a nicer bar, BP'S. etc), then usually the server has to pay % of her bill/tips to the kitchen, so I tip a buck or two max.

DJ Lazy
03-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
haha when I go pick up food I throw 5 loonies down on the counter. For every minute I stand there I take one back. lol

I love that idea... :rofl:

georgemagana
03-03-2011, 12:15 AM

95% of servers tip out. So since you are increasing their total amount of sells their tip out is higher so basically they are paying for you to go and get the food... I used to be a server and most servers HATE take outs because you lose money from them and you need to realize that servers only get $8.80 an hour and when you dont tip you make it more like $5 an hour

Cos
03-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by georgemagana

95% of servers tip out. So since you are increasing their total amount of sells their tip out is higher so basically they are paying for you to go and get the food... I used to be a server and most servers HATE take outs because you lose money from them and you need to realize that servers only get $8.80 an hour and when you dont tip you make it more like $5 an hour

Then get a new job (general statement, I see you moved on). I am not tipping you to walk from the front to the kitchen to grab a box and ring it through. If you dont like the terms of your employment find a new job or back to school so you can get a job you wont bitch at.

natejj
03-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Then get a new job (general statement, I see you moved on). I am not tipping you to walk from the front to the kitchen to grab a box and ring it through. If you dont like the terms of your employment find a new job or back to school so you can get a job you wont bitch at.

Tik-Tok
03-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by georgemagana

I used to be a server and most servers HATE take outs because you lose money from them and you need to realize that servers only get $8.80 an hour and when you dont tip you make it more like $5 an hour

I dont understand where you guys work that servers are doing take-out orders. People actually sit down at a table and ask for take-out?

rage2
03-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I've worked at a few restaurants back in the day, and take out is never part of the waiting staff's ring out #'s. They always have a separate ID for take out. If there's a cash tip, they usually pocket it themselves.

sputnik
03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I've worked at a few restaurants back in the day, and take out is never part of the waiting staff's ring out #'s. They always have a separate ID for take out. If there's a cash tip, they usually pocket it themselves.

All the more reason not to bother tipping for take out.

D'z Nutz
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
haha when I go pick up food I through 5 loonies down on the counter. For every minute I stand there I take one back. lol

V1ZZWhSvOMI

dingbathero
03-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Z-qV9wVGb38

dirtsniffer
03-03-2011, 09:47 AM
lol, busted on my D'z Nutz
(no homo)

DJ Lazy
03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by dingbathero
Z-qV9wVGb38

adidas
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by rage2

maybe true in ur day, but thats not the case anymore.

desi112
03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
never.