PDA

View Full Version : grandfather clause

1973minioliver
04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
I've recently brought a 1973 mini 1000 back from England with me and am trying to get a safety check done on it. The guy at Canadian Tire told me that I need to install parking lights on the back. Is there not some type of grandfather clause in Canada stating that you don't need to add to/modify classic cars to meet current safety standards?? Putting in new lights on the back will be a pain the butt and will look out of place.

Any thoughts??

Thanks.

Moezer
04-16-2009, 07:50 AM
by parking lights like when u stop the back red light turn on ? if thats the case just put one on the back window one of those portable ones, some thing like this http://www.rallytops.com/images/options/rear-window-brake-light.jpg and when inspection is done u can always remove it hope this helps, or take it to an inspector and ask him instead of taking the guys advice from CT

QuasarCav
04-16-2009, 08:18 AM
We have a Canadian model Mini 1000. Can you show me a picture of the parking lights that are required? You may be able to retrofit OEM parts.

Cword
04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Grandfathering applies to cars built and sold in this market.

Your '73 being an import doesn't qualify.

pursue QuasarCav's idea and check out what Canadian prepared mini's might have been equipped with.

If it turns out that there were no "parking lights" on Canadian issue mini's of that era then you'll have to find supporting documentation to "educate" your inspector or find an inspector who knows vintage mini's