PDA

View Full Version : Cost to fix this clearcoat problem?

em2ab
04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
It's my friend's 2002 Acura 1.7 EL, the passenger side rear panel. Any ideas?

lint
04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
pm phuqu

em2ab
04-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Dan right? I was going to bring it by there but that sounds easier, thanks. And anyone else want to commend?

BlackArcher101
04-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
And anyone else want to commend?

It's an excellent looking blemish. One of the best I've seen.

redevil
04-16-2009, 05:24 PM
pm topher91, he does spot repairs for really cheap.

R154
04-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

It's an excellent looking blemish. One of the best I've seen.

Nicely done. 10/10 for execution, and overall hilarity.

TDFTW
04-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

em2ab
04-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).
WTF? Can you wait until I've read it?

The_Rural_Juror
04-16-2009, 08:01 PM
What caused the blemish?

SprayGun...:rofl:

TDFTW
04-17-2009, 02:18 AM

WTF? Can you wait until I've read it? I guess not. All I said that is if I was approached with the issue, I would charge around 150. Shops may charge 300-450. And that if you needed help with it, to pm me.

Guess somebody thought i was soliciting services? I didn't say a single word asking for a paid job. Bullshit fucking politics here. Meanwhile non-sponsors run around blatantly every day advertising theirs without reprocussion, and I'm not even advertising shit!

em2ab
04-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I guess not. All I said that is if I was approached with the issue, I would charge around 150. Shops may charge 300-450. And that if you needed help with it, to pm me.

Guess somebody thought i was soliciting services? I didn't say a single word asking for a paid job. Bullshit fucking politics here. Meanwhile non-sponsors run around blatantly every day advertising theirs without reprocussion, and I'm not even advertising shit!
Lame.....thanks for reposting it.
Anyone have ideas on how it would be fixed if a shop did it? I'm guessing sand until you hit the paint and spray with clear?

turbotrip
04-17-2009, 08:27 PM
You could prolly do it urself for about $20. Just sand it very lightly and then use a scuff pad on the general area and then spray it with some clear coat in a spray can

TDFTW
04-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Lame.....thanks for reposting it.
Anyone have ideas on how it would be fixed if a shop did it? I'm guessing sand until you hit the paint and spray with clear? To fix that spot of clear coat peeling.

Wetsand the edges. Do not sand with dry paper, DO NOT sand the exposed paint down either.

Use at least an 800-1000 grit paper. You have to feather the edges. Feathering the edge means the transition from peeling clear coat to paint will be totally smooth with no bumps, dips or high / low levelling.

Once you've wetsanded the peeled portions and everything is smooth, clean with some wax & grease remover and a cotton lint free cloth, followed by a rub down with your tack cloth.

Don't use clear coat in a can, it's properties are different than a actual urethane you spray in a paint gun.

Spray the claer coat through the paint gun tacking a light mist coat first, let it sit 5-10 minutes and go overtop again. basically you want the full layer of clearcoat to have something to grab. Spray lightly until the entire area has been covered.

The bad part about this is that you will have to try to blend the clear coat into the rest of the hood.

I suggest you sand the entire hood down and reclear the entire hood.

You will end up patching the area but it will be noticable however if the entire hood has been prepped for new clearcoat you wont have issues.

a good clear coat for somebody whos never done this is xtreme brand clear from calgary autobody supplies int he northeast behind coca cola plant.

If you want quality clear coat grab some dupont chroma clear. It's all premixed. You don't have to muck around adding reducers to it and hardners.