PDA

View Full Version : Someone else selling your vehicle - authorization form?

khtm
04-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Has anyone ever let someone else sell their vehicle?

I'm moving away and my buddy will be selling one of my motorbikes for me. I called a registry and they said I need to sign an authorization letter giving him permission to do so.

I assume the letter just needs to contain:
Vehicle details
My details (name, address, phone, Alberta DL #)
My buddy's details
Statement about authorizing him to sell the bike
Date/signature of both of us

Also, I plan on signing a Bill of Sale before hand so he just needs to get the seller to finish filling it out.

What about payment? Should the cheque/bank draft be made out to myself or my buddy?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
:goflames:

atgilchrist
04-16-2009, 03:52 PM
How much do you trust him? Cause you could sell the bike to him for $1, making his sale to someone new easy, then he pays you the profits of the sale.

Kloubek
04-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Or (again, if you trust him), you can write out a bill of sale and pre-sign it.

dannie
04-16-2009, 04:17 PM
It needs to be something along the lines of this:

http://shawnessyregistry.com/forms/LetterOfAuthorization.pdf

So, yes. Basically just type up a letter with the information that you have in your original post.

As far as payment goes, it depends on how much you trust your buddy. If it were someone that I trusted completely, I would just have the cheque made out to him and then have him transfer the cash to your account.

turbotrip
04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
^you could do it that way, or just sign the back of the registration and leave the rest blank and tell him to fill it out when he finds a buyer and to take all cash

khtm
04-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Ok, thanks for the tips guys.

:goflames:

gofastmerc
04-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Or... just let him sell as his. Nobody looks at a bill of sale anyway, only if there is some kind of dispute over ownership.

Let him sell it, and have him send you the money. Easy.