PDA

View Full Version : what i hate about jogging

TurboD
04-16-2009, 05:17 PM
cardio is such a hooker.

i just got off a 4 week period where i did no jogging
prior to this 4 week period of nothing i was running every second week 5kms roughly (outdoor only)

so 4 weeks of yuck weather and a light cold and feeling 100% i decided today was the perfect weather for a jog.

i got to the half way point of my normal route after almost being hit by a car and at that point my heart rate was too intense and i was getting chest pains and cramps so i had to walk for a minute... and i could never recover my heart rate enough to finish my run in one shot, it required several fairly long walking breaks imo.

long story short, i lost 50% of my distance after only a 4 week break.

this is very depressing....

does anyone think the warm air could affect efficiency enough to cripple my distance that vastly?

side note about the car incident, my normal route crosses under the bridge at mcknight and 4th ne behind Pisces pet store, and the path was blocked off and full of mud, so i had to cross at mcknight.

it was rush hour so the street was packed and the light turned red as i got near and traffic was just piling up quick, so after all the cars up to my point had stopped at the light i started onto the street to cross (illegally j jogging i know) and waved the first lane vehicle that noticed me and didnt try to murder me, the next lane there is a lady in a brand new suv, she sees me from the corner of her front bumper and doesnt use the brakes, she slows normally and almost rear ends the vehicle in front of her, so i had to run beside the car a few feet to avoid being driven over.

it was my bad for j jogging, but what a whore.

kaput
04-16-2009, 07:05 PM

Canmorite
04-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by TurboD

it was my bad for j jogging, but what a whore.

Originally posted by kaput
Why are you writing with a stutter?

:rofl: :rofl:

TurboD
04-16-2009, 07:39 PM
clever...:rolleyes:

kaput
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM

The_Rural_Juror
04-16-2009, 08:27 PM
whose ass is that?

Alterac
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
http://yeeeah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/spl83967_001.thumbnail.jpg

Reason #2. (Not so much her, but in general the jogging outfits are pretty.. heh)

Oz-
04-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Motivation can definitely be found on the bike paths between Crowchild & Edmonton Trail along the river.

core_upt
04-17-2009, 10:44 AM
from what I've read, you can lose your 'lungs' ina bout three weeks of not running, but they come back quickly.

I'm int raining or my first 1/2 marathon, but just developed a bit of a knee injury. I'll have two weeks off, but will be back in. Just build up slowly and you'll be fine.

And don't ever expect traffic to stop for you, they won't, especially at rush hour.

~Leah~
04-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Why are you writing with a stutter?

I believe it's jogging or yogging. It might be a soft j. I'm not sure, but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

pinoyhero
04-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

:rofl: :rofl:

LOL +1

msommers
04-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

I believe it's jogging or yogging. It might be a soft j. I'm not sure, but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

:rofl: yes!!

BigMass
04-18-2009, 01:03 PM
That was one of the reasons I stopped training. It was depressing. My body could not retain anything unless I was working out all the time. 300lb bench to 225 bench because I didn’t train for 4-6 weeks? No thanks. Cardio was a killer as well. I used to be able to run marathons and now if I ran I would do just as bad as someone who never ran in his/her life. So I ask you, what the fuck is the point? :nut:

TurboD
04-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
That was one of the reasons I stopped training. It was depressing. My body could not retain anything unless I was working out all the time. 300lb bench to 225 bench because I didn’t train for 4-6 weeks? No thanks. Cardio was a killer as well. I used to be able to run marathons and now if I ran I would do just as bad as someone who never ran in his/her life. So I ask you, what the fuck is the point? :nut:

thanks for the post, im glad my thread got at least one reply that wasn't ignorant or off topic.

weight training i find that 2-3 weeks off gives my muscles a good recovery time and makes it easier to see muscle increases.
i don't have a big enough bench weight to notice decreases at all.

kerry
04-19-2009, 01:43 AM
You're not alone sir. If I take too long of a period of time off of high intensity or long distance cardio there's a noticable difference in overall endurance. Lots of people have this problem. The only few I've met that don't suffer from similar problems are my friends that have been athletes since they were young. REAL young. Like around 6-8 years old.

It's lame, but if you rock the cardio even once a week it'll help keep your endurance/energy levels up. That's what I do at the absolute minimum. Similar to doing maintenance sets for your weight training.

Good luck home slice.

P.S. At least you'll have lots of pathway to jog on in August down by Memorial :banghead:

r3ccOs
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Cardio Vascular Aerobic training is a bitch, but like anything, suck it up buttercup

Anerobic training is even more of a bitch, if you're trying to build up recovery and V02 Max

98type_r
04-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
from what I've read, you can lose your 'lungs' ina bout three weeks of not running, but they come back quickly.

I've heard the 3 week thing too. I've been back in training since January and there was a 3 week period where I didn't do any long runs for 3 Sundays in a row. I was a bit worried about the gap, but i managed to hang in there and get a 29km run in without suffering too much.
Give it a week or two and you should be right back where you were.

TDFTW
04-20-2009, 12:41 AM
how the fuck do you run 29km straight? i couldn't run 29 steps to my fridge to get the double cheeseburger i saved for later.

superboss
04-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by TDFTW
how the fuck do you run 29km straight? i couldn't run 29 steps to my fridge to get the double cheeseburger i saved for later.
hahahahaha

RC-Cola
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I find it harder to run 5k then to run 15k, once you get into a comfortable rhythm and you have a decent fitness level you can run a long ways.

That being said, I'm a bigger guy and I find that after running 17-18 kms my body starts to shut down. My hips, knees ankles all start to give out.

craigcd
04-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Jogging 5 Km's every second week doesnt seem to be enough to maintain a decent cardio level. I try to jog 3-4 nights a week depending on weather 5KM's runs in the winter and 8 KM's PLUS in decent weather. When it got really cold and snowy for the millionth time this year I stopped running for about 10 days. I really noticed a difference when I got back at it but just pushed myself and within 2-3 jogs I was back to normal pace and cardio level.

I find the more I run, the more motivated I am to continue running. MP3 player with good music and a decent pair of shoes also help.

Also dont wear running room gear... its gay.:guns:

TurboD
04-21-2009, 10:05 PM
my big problem is im trying to balance too many things,
im trying to gain weight and weight train for both size and strength and at the same time i need to keep my cardio at an about 5km of jogging steady.

but i can't jog too often because all the food i eat to gain mass im burning too quickly.

Thomas Gabriel
04-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Steady state cardio is the worst exercise you could do anyways. Its net benefit is negative.

~Leah~
04-22-2009, 06:24 AM
my big problem is im trying to balance too many things,
im trying to gain weight and weight train for both size and strength and at the same time i need to keep my cardio at an about 5km of jogging steady.

but i can't jog too often because all the food i eat to gain mass im burning too quickly.

Sorry I could have missed something in the original post and am too lazy to go back and look -- why do you NEED to keep your cardio up so much?

TurboD
04-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

Sorry I could have missed something in the original post and am too lazy to go back and look -- why do you NEED to keep your cardio up so much?

besides cardio being healthy and benificial to weight training, im trying to get into shape to apply for both fire and cps.

craigcd
04-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
Steady state cardio is the worst exercise you could do anyways. Its net benefit is negative.

I tend to disagree- running for the last 1.5 years has put me in the best shape of my life.

~Leah~
04-22-2009, 11:27 AM

besides cardio being healthy and benificial to weight training, im trying to get into shape to apply for both fire and cps.

Then you're obviously going to have to make sacrifices with your gains if this is ultimately your goal.

beyondpinoy
04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by craigcd

I tend to disagree- running for the last 1.5 years has put me in the best shape of my life.

from my experience, steady state cardio doesn't have negative effects, i did this when i first started running... but interval cardio usually has better results... ive started interval cardio and ive noticed my cardio is even better then before...

msommers
04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Changing interval style and endurance style every couple months will have more benefit than either and never changing.

craigcd
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy

from my experience, steady state cardio doesn't have negative effects, i did this when i first started running... but interval cardio usually has better results... ive started interval cardio and ive noticed my cardio is even better then before...

Agreed- I can run for and hour straight at a good pace no problems..... then when soccer starts back up i get killed.

The combination of both should be great.

98type_r
04-22-2009, 11:14 PM

:werd:
I cycle a lot (commuting to work/long distance rides) and just started running last year. Running steady state has improved my general fitness and has made riding a lot easier too.
Of course it hasn't all been steady state, we have some intervals mixed in there.

Nusc
04-23-2009, 01:05 AM

Agreed- I can run for and hour straight at a good pace no problems..... then when soccer starts back up i get killed.

The combination of both should be great.

Where do you play soccer?

craigcd
04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Nusc

Where do you play soccer?

I play year round coed indoor soccer. Its is really competitive depending on division.

Khyron
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM

You should be running min 20-30km per week, long run on the weekend of 1-2hrs, slow as you need to go. (and if you think that sounds like a lot, that's 2-5 hours a week - far less than you'd need to get good at a video game or some other skill)

If you want to get fast, double or triple that.

5k every 2 weeks will do pretty much nothing.

r3ccOs
04-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Interval training with moderate distance training is key especially for Soccer

i.e. laps at 70% and laps performed @ 85-90% to up your ability to recover from anerobic bursts and to build up your aerobic conditioning

Its like anything, its a balance

I play as a defender, and to keep my sprint speed up, I perform plyometrics, and weight training along with explosive exercises such as power cleans/snatches

however, when I was training for a marathon last year, I lost lots of weight, most of it muscle and lost a fair amount of strength

however I was in the best aerobic shape of my life...

Its all compromise depending on your goals and where you want to balance

I like running/training for 10K runs as its easily obtainable, and has less negative impact as compared to training for a half/full marathon

Nusc
04-25-2009, 01:01 PM

I play year round coed indoor soccer. Its is really competitive depending on division.

With CUSA?

r3ccOs
04-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Nusc

With CUSA?
CUSA isn't coed

I think the only good one is the Fusion league... however even at that, it doesn't compete with competitive soccer

I play on a Div 3 team, and we practice at least once a week and the level of pace and skill is significantly higher than the lower div's let alone co-ed

I used to play div1/premier and that was completely another level of fitness required to be competitive

TurboD
04-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

You should be running min 20-30km per week, long run on the weekend of 1-2hrs, slow as you need to go. (and if you think that sounds like a lot, that's 2-5 hours a week - far less than you'd need to get good at a video game or some other skill)

If you want to get fast, double or triple that.

5k every 2 weeks will do pretty much nothing.

the problem with this is i'm trying to gain weight and bulk up and if i run more than 5k a week im burning all my calories and my body has a hard time building muscle when its pushed with extra cardio.

my small size is more important for me to be working on than temporary cardio training.
i can train 2 weeks out for any length of fitness test, cardio is easy to build, but the problem is its also very easy to lose, so time spent in the gym weight training is far better for my long term build and fitness than cardio.

Khyron
04-25-2009, 10:55 PM
If your theory was correct, all military guys would be skinny little bitches that couldn't carry machine guns.

You can run 10K a day and not waste away to nothing. It's only the ultra distance sessions (30K+ in a single run) where the body starts to eat itself. An hour of running is about 1000 cals, assuming you eat a gel before, some drink during and some choco milk after, you're barely down at all.

The reason pro runners look like rails is there is no point to carrying upper body weight so they go out of their way to not develop it. Normal males can go 50+ kms a week and not lose weight cause they'll just eat more.

With a decent fitness base, you should be able to bang out a 10K run, on demand, with no training and finish around an hour or better. You think you just have to pass the fitness test and that's the end? You got 6 months of depot to deal with.