PDA

View Full Version : My Computer is Beeping

sexualbanana
04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I came home tonight to my desktop computer beeping, and now, everytime I turn it on, it keeps beeping. Any ideas what might be wrong?

topmade
04-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Did you recently install anything? Could be bad memory or something you recently put in like a video or sound card.

Or you can listen to the number of beeps and try to find the error code online with the make/model of your pc.

sexualbanana
04-16-2009, 10:58 PM
It's just like a 2-tone beep that keeps going. Kinda sounds like a siren.

And no, I haven't installed anything lately.

Grogador
04-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Usually an overheat or fan-fail alarm. I'd turn it off and take the compressed air to it, then make sure all the fans are plugged in and spinning. There should be a "health monitor" in the BIOS that will give you a general idea of what it might be on about, or install MBM (or some other temp monitoring proggie) in Windows and check.

Stealth22
04-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by topmade
Or you can listen to the number of beeps and try to find the error code online with the make/model of your pc.
^^ This.

No idea on whats wrong unless you know what the beep code means. Who's the manufacturer (and whats the model #) of your motherboard? If you don't know, pop the case open, should be printed somewhere it. Once you have that, manual with the beep codes is easy to find.

Grogador
04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Oh, for some reason I assumed it's running and beeping. Otherwise yeah, find the POST codes.

eblend
04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Check the CAPS!! haha, this should be a sticky for the FIRST thing to check when computer hardware seems to be busted.

http://www.macmedics.com/images/imac-logicaboard-with-leaking-capacitors.jpg

Kloubek
04-17-2009, 08:26 AM
^^ Agreed. But that would not have alternating beep tones like a siren...

Hakkola
04-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^ Agreed. But that would not have alternating beep tones like a siren...

Yeah, I thought beeping, or high-low, high-low beeping was always thermal heat event.

Does it just keep beeping or does it shut itself off after 15 seconds or so?

Zero102
04-24-2009, 08:34 PM
2 tone beeping is an overheat issue on most motherboards, but in some cases it can indicate voltage out of spec as well. In this case blown caps could be the cause. CPUs can overheat in a few seconds if the fan has failed (depending on the setup).

Check that all of your fans are running and check the caps.