PDA

View Full Version : xp install problem on older IDE HD

v2kai
04-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm attempting to install xp pro sp2(CD) onto one of two older IDE hard drives (seagate 80GB or samsung 120GB) the samsung used to be my primary HD until i swapped to a 320GB SATA; and has since been put into an external enclosure and run as an ext. HD.

A friend's old IDE HD seems to have crapped out, so i'm trying to load XP Pro SP2 onto it so i can install the new drive into their computer. I dont have the time to install on their computer so I'm trying to install on either my work computer or home desktop.

No matter what configuration i use i always get an BSOD stop error during install when the xp boot sequence is loading. something along the lines of 0x0000007B (i think) recommending CHKDSK function and says it crashed to save possible damage to my hard drive?

I've reformatted, used repair console chkdsk functions, enabled correct settings in BIOS, attempted installing to the drive as an external HD, as well as on the ribbon as master, and slave, with and without the other SATA drives present or just the IDE by itself...pretty much every configuration i can think of. I've completely run out of ideas as to what it might be...

at first i thought one of the drives might be crapping out, but I've attempted with both with identical results on both work and home computer, and the drives function fine in the ext. HD enclosure as mass storage...help??

:banghead:

Mitsu3000gt
04-17-2009, 08:57 AM
So in the BIOS you've enabled IDE rather than SATA? Try the reverse - it sounds ridiculous but it's worked for me in the past (ie. I've gotten SATA drives that wouldn't work on SATA to work when IDE was selected). I had the same error as you, but I was doing the opposite (trying to put in a SATA drive).

Grogador
04-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Try an XP sp3 disc, I've had combinations of hardware that refused to install SP2 but worked fine with SP3. Also keep in mind that unless your machine's architecture (Intel/AMD, chipset, etc) is relatively close to his, the install might not boot on his machine.

v2kai
04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
So in the BIOS you've enabled IDE rather than SATA? Try the reverse - it sounds ridiculous but it's worked for me in the past (ie. I've gotten SATA drives that wouldn't work on SATA to work when IDE was selected). I had the same error as you, but I was doing the opposite (trying to put in a SATA drive).

yea tried that one too and no dice

Originally posted by Grogador
Try an XP sp3 disc, I've had combinations of hardware that refused to install SP2 but worked fine with SP3. Also keep in mind that unless your machine's architecture (Intel/AMD, chipset, etc) is relatively close to his, the install might not boot on his machine.

havent tried my sp3 disk yet, I'll keep in mind the architecture thing thanks for the heads up.

just to clarify it is possible to run xp setup on an external HDD correct? just saves me plugging it in to the motherboard. and usb booting is enabled and the HDD is detected at boot up

Grogador
04-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by v2kai

just to clarify it is possible to run xp setup on an external HDD correct? just saves me plugging it in to the motherboard. and usb booting is enabled and the HDD is detected at boot up

Should be possible, but you know how Windows is... might be causing driver issues or something.

Mitsu3000gt
04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
You might end up saving yourself some time in the end by just getting your friends computer and installing everything with the hard drive in place. The actual effort required to install windows is extremely little, its just starting a few things and then waiting for it to load. If your having issues though, you're probably better off troubleshooting them on your friends computer.

Despair*
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
You are taking a windows xp installation configured to work on where you installed it (either your home computer or work) and are trying to take that installation and make it run under a set of different hardware. This will not work. Unless your friend has almost an identical hardware setup as you, XP will not run by simply transferring the bootable drive to another machine.

You need to do the installation on his computer/hardware so that it is configured using the appropriate drivers etc. If he wants you to do this work for him get him to bring his computer to you so that you can perform an Xp install on that set of hardware.

v2kai
04-17-2009, 05:12 PM
the hardware is similar and i've done it before successfully...took some tweaking and was a bit of headache...actually quite a headache the first time round but i got it to work. i know the drivers and all will need to be set up for his specific devices i'll do that after the fact, just the time consuming task of installing xp was all i wanted to avoid.

anywho back on topic, i appreciate everyone's help i dont know why i didnt think of it sooner i ended up assembling an older computer at work that i knew would work and installed flawlessly with that just now... so mission sort-of-accomplished, more just dodged the problem.

greatly appreciate all the advice guys

SpireTECH
04-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by v2kai

The easiest way of doing this is with PEToUsb. It will prep the USB drive, and configure everything for you. As someone has already pointed out, it probably won't work very well to install the system on one machine and then try and run the OS on another machine.

eblend
04-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Dude, seriously, don't try to install Windows XP onto your PC and then migrate the HDD over, that is the dirtiest install you can do of Windows. I have seen this many times when you get the blue screen due to drivers mainly, most likely the IDE channel driver. There are so many chipsets out there and so many chipset drivers. IDE is controlled by your chipset, and although not as picky as SATA, there is a good chance that you computer will keep blue screening and cycle booting. Take the HDD, take it to your friends house and do the XP install on there.

At least I think thats is what your doing, ignore this if I misunderstood

evoXfan
04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Unless you two have the same motherboard, i wouldn't recommend it. Although i still wouldn't recommend it even if you two have the same motherboard :rolleyes: