PDA

View Full Version : Buying used car from dealership

Sapo
04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
never bought used car from dealer, thinking about 2 yrs. old A4, 328 or G35.
however I do have few questions about procedures;

-do i need to provide drivers license and CC? do they ( each dealer) send inquiry to credit agency just to see what is my credit score?

- is there time limit for test drive? do I need to have "product advisor" companion in vehicle?

-my mechanic would like to have veh in his shop for one hour or so, when do i take it for inspection? before money talk or after we agree on sale price.

- do I have to post "small deposit' before money talk?

PS

this is cash sale and no trade ins

Sorath
04-17-2009, 09:08 AM
1. u need to provide drivers license, sin number, some work history, salary etc, and whatever deposit usually people use CC but some use debit.
2. no time limit, and some stores dont need a sales person to follow you, however some do.
3. if u talk to the sales person about this as long as u pay for it it should be fine, and this should be mentioned while negotiation.
4. no, u only put money down after u have decided that this is what u want

Sapo
04-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Ty Sorath,
just for clarification:

this is cash sale, why would they need my SIN (i would never give away this number to dealer), salary and work history? What for CC?

yes I am paying for inspection.

AS far as "small deposit", do i need one or can agree ( or not ) on final price without it. I don't wony to be under pressure to close deal and walk away anytime without worrying they will withold lets say $1000 deposit.

Redlyne_mr2
04-17-2009, 09:38 AM
What dealer are you dealing with?

They don't need any credit information from you if you're paying cash for the car. The deposit amount is between you and the dealer, if the dealers requirements is a minimum $1000 then thats the minimum. Make sure there are some conditions on the bill of sale such as: If vehicle does not pass independent inspection deposit will be fully refunded. Basically come to some agreeable conditions with the dealer. They're also going to have to be willing to take the car down to the independent shop for you.

There is no real time limit on test drives, how long do you need to spend in the car? A sales consultant will almost always want to go with you but every dealership is different. We don't allow solo test drives because our insurance requires that a sales person be in the car and all times and we've had bad luck in the past with people going out on their own.

Come up with a price, put down that the price is based on the vehicle passing an inspection then leave your deposit, that's the standard way of doing things.

Keep in mind that if the car is only 2 years old it will have warranty on it, the dealer also has to provide their own inspection report as well as a car proof showing the history. You're wasting your money getting an inspection done IMO.

Good luck:)

NewLextasy
04-17-2009, 10:36 AM
ONE RULE.... EVERYTHING IN WRITING

911fever
04-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by NewLextasy
ONE RULE.... EVERYTHING IN WRITING

BOOM HEADSHOT

Sorath
04-17-2009, 02:16 PM
sorry i thought u were financing

Sapo
04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I am no dealing with dealers yet. just collecting information.
As far as car being on warranty, well I don't trust anybody.

however, when deposit is required? befor starting price negotiation or after, just to secure vehicle until all paper work and money is in place?

Sorath
04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
after, just to hold the vehicle until u pick it up

06civic
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Dont put dep down until you negotiate on a price. Stupid crowfoot honda wouldn't even talk about price until i put dep down and rather lose a sale. Northwest Acura said the same thing.
So i just went to TandT honda and brought my car there.

94boosted
04-18-2009, 09:47 AM
As was said above make sure you put everything in writing BEFORE you put down a Deposit. If you like the car after you test drive it sit down with the salesman and negotiate on a price and then put a clause in the contract "Subject to independent inspection" so that if your mechanic says no you get your deposit back you walk away free and clear

sm91
04-20-2009, 12:15 PM
*I'm going to highjack this thread, as the OP's questions seemed to be answered.

My sister is on the flipside of this, as she wants to finance a used car.

Trade in: 98 Civic SI Auto
WTB: 2003-4 Acura RSX Auto
Finacing amount after downpayment ~10k.

Only problem is, she's on EI. Does this eliminate any chance of financing, or are there ways around this. I've talked to a few sales guys at Honda and Acura and they all seem to have the 'Don't worry, we'll make it happen, lets just make a deal first' type approach but I want to know before I waste time on negoiate a deal, and then find out that she's not approved. Co-signer is not an option, and I don't want to loan her the cash.

Anyone work at a dealership BTW?

G-ZUS
04-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Shes better off selling her civic privately then trading it in, as they will give her shit all for it