PDA

View Full Version : How's the Wireless Internet at U of C?

Weapon_R
10-21-2003, 01:23 AM
What are your experiences with it?

What is the range like, where does it NOT work, etc. How fast is it?

Mckenzie
10-21-2003, 07:55 AM
Its pretty good at the places you can get it. The range is not great in the library. I couldnt even get it in the study rooms on the other side of the info commons. ICT is pretty good as well. I have heard that you can get it in Mac Hall but I am not sure about that.

thich
10-21-2003, 09:09 AM
you can get it in mac hall, but it's like weak and it breaks off a lot of times.
i was using it in the clubs area once and it was incredibly weak and kept losing the signal but then when i was actually in my clubs office it worked totally fine :S
stupid wireless network.

Scurf has it too but the best place is 4th floor.

they need more hotspots to boost the signal

D'z Nutz
10-21-2003, 10:53 AM
The locations can be found here, but I have a feeling the listing may be out of date:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/ucs/netserv/wireless/

The Mac Hall hotspot is actually located near the stairs by the Orange Julius and Kobe Beef. So that could explain why you're getting a weak signal. The hotspot at the Information Commons is close to the Front Desk, so the further you're from it, it's gonna get weaker. I don't even think it extends as far as towers.

Oh yeah, they forgot to mention the main floor of the ICT building on that page.

D'z Nutz
10-21-2003, 10:51 PM
So I went and double checked with our wireless administrator about this. As suspected, that list is incomplete so here are some additional locations where AirUC is available:

- the entire CCIT building
- the Health Science Building's food court and parts of the library
- by the end of this week, the Engineering lounge

Ideally, by the end of the term, they're trying to get coverage throughout the entire Engineering building and all Engineering areas in the ICT (not the Computer Science areas though).

Additionally, the MacEwan Students Centre Food Court location is slightly incorrect in that the wing area by the Information Center (near the stairs) and club area is where the coverage is. The signal may possibly extend as far as the Bookstore.

ShOwOfF
10-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Scurfields connection is pretty good on the third and forth floor.

ryder_23
10-21-2003, 11:16 PM
you need a password or anything to acess it??? Log in id, etc....thanks

thich
10-21-2003, 11:51 PM
just need ur student IT name and password as well as setting ur wireless card to "airuc"