PDA

View Full Version : WTB:135i coupe (including entertaining read)

digi
04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Long story short, I want a 135i preferably with navigation & coral red interior. Will consider other colours and options though.

---

If you want the long story, then here's a good read.

3 weeks ago I visited Calgary BMW to inquire about a used 135i. By the time I arrived there, a used car salesman had greeted me and told me I had been fortunate, as they had just bought a Demo from out east. It had 6200 kms, and had a few options. The salesman was very nice, and after some negotiations, I signed off at a purchase price of close to $33 ($38,200) tax in. Paid my deposit, Sweet! Now just sit back and wait 2 weeks for shipping...

So last week I was driving past the dealership while on my way home so I decided to stop in and just say a friendly hi to my salesman. He sits me down to let me know there's some bad news... my 135i has been stolen during shipping . The GM of Calgary BMW then comes over to talk to me to give me the full story.

Apparently the driver of the transportation vehicle (carrying other bmw's at the same time) brought the truck to his home, and from there my car as well as 2 other bmw's went missing...

This story sounds quite far fetched to me... Perhaps they re-sold the car to someone else at a higher purchase price (their asking price was $42), and decide to screw over the younger buyer (me), or in-fact it was truely stolen? I do have a bill of sale, and the vin for the car, so if I want, I can look up the status of the vehicle for fun... maybe if someone has a carfax available, they could look it up for me?

After that bad experience, I looked at a friend of a friends for sale (shay's posted on here)... after offering him his asking price, he decided to baulk on the sale, and wants to keep it. Double diss. After seeing his car, I'm quite hooked on coral red interior, but am still open to options.

Update for everyone.

I was going to make this post earlier, but didn't want to jinx the potential transaction.

Calgary BMW had offered me a fantastic deal on a brand new vehicle. I won't go into any names or specific #'s, but all in all, I believe Calgary BMW has really stepped up to the plate and made me a very satisfied customer.

I ended up with a brand new 09 aspen white 135i, on coral red leather interior. Fully loaded, even including navi. It arrived yesterday

So, all in-all I guess my original purchase having been stolen was somewhat a blessing in disguise..

That.Guy.S30
04-17-2009, 10:26 PM
he's lying...

theken
04-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Tell them you want a new one for nothing else. They should give you something

That.Guy.S30
04-17-2009, 10:42 PM
^ they didnt agree cuz it was an "auction car" or something like that..

igotacookie
04-18-2009, 08:56 AM
that is ridiculous. Yeah you are right 90% chance they are lying, I would find out and take them to court if they are.

berbatov
04-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Take them to court ... and argue "hunch" ?

... think, man

JordanAndrew
04-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by berbatov
Take them to court ... and argue "hunch" ?

... think, man

If it was truy stolen, the status of the car wouldn't be active, wouldn't it? If someone has access to this information, wouldn't you check it? The registry will do this for a fee, I think $20 or so, and if it shows an active title and registered, the OP should have enough evidence to pursue legal actions. Obviously you would want to go to a lawyer to go to all that hassle. Overall, it's a lot of a hassle for what it is, and BMW knows that. That's why he's getting screwed over.

JUZENO
04-19-2009, 09:07 AM
If you have any concerns that Calgary BMW screwed you over... Contact AMVIC. they are here to prevent this type of stuff going down, it does sound shady but on the other hand there is a chance of this happening.

www.amvic.org

you put a deposit on the car, there for it's yours. That is the issue here, you'll get you car and BMW will have to take a loss, Call AMVIC and let them know that the dealer ship you delt with sold your car even after you had put a deposit down on it.

This is a clear violation of the fair trading act, and known as the "five knuckle shuffle" in the biz... yeah I work for a dealer (not BMW)..... CALL AMVIC, they will take care of you.

heavyD
04-19-2009, 10:00 AM
If you really want the car take them to task. Someone else offered more money for your car and the dealer has sold it to that party. You have the VIN and bill of sale so the ball is in your court. Most people move on which is why the dealers will pull these type of acts. It's up to how bad you want the car as legally it's yours.

yellowsnow
04-19-2009, 11:19 AM
just the check the vin.. if it was stolen it would tell you.

sabad66
04-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah that story sounds pretty shady... Check the VIN like these guys mentioned, and if the story doesn't match, raise hell with them... make them give you a new one for the same price or something.

Xtrema
04-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Just a guy brought a transport truck with 3 cars on it home?

Where does he park it?

If you got the VIN, tell the saleman that you're going to registry and cops to confirm the story and see what they do.

On a side note, I think Shay is trying to offload his 135i which matches what you want. I think his final asking price was $43K.

digi
04-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
On a side note, I think Shay is trying to offload his 135i which matches what you want. I think his final asking price was $43K. [/B]

Yea, i checked his out - as written in my post. He no longer wants to sell his car.

VIN# WBAUC73598VF23413 looked up:

Looks like the last registration record was:
09/30/2008 OSHAWA, ON.

Not reported stolen.

gmoney82
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I hope you pursue the matter instead of dropping it..that sounds pretty damn shady..after the GM spoke to you what options did he offer you?

good luck and keep us updated!

Disoblige
04-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Very interesting read indeed. I'm curious on what happens next if you do go through with pursuing some action on it. I recommend what Xtrema suggested!

w_man
04-20-2009, 04:53 PM
^^ same

contact AMVIC right away and take this forward .. would love to see pics of your brand new 135i which you get for the price quoted on a used one from the east :thumbsup:

It's worth it dude ...

milesmcewing
04-20-2009, 05:07 PM
It's amazing how it instantly becomes a scam.

We have had, in the last year:
-cars stolen (off the lot and in transit)
-car fell off the train
-car fell off the truck
-the whole transporter stolen
-car loose in the container and bouncing around enough to wreck a couple more
-transporter crash
-train arrive with the cars vandalized inside the carrier

One of our cars got stolen by a guy who has taken well over 30 cars here in Calgary, including three in one day!

No, I don't work for BMW

Cheers!

digi
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by milesmcewing
It's amazing how it instantly becomes a scam.

We have had, in the last year:
-cars stolen (off the lot and in transit)
-car fell off the train
-car fell off the truck
-the whole transporter stolen
-car loose in the container and bouncing around enough to wreck a couple more
-transporter crash
-train arrive with the cars vandalized inside the carrier

One of our cars got stolen by a guy who has taken well over 30 cars here in Calgary, including three in one day!

No, I don't work for BMW

Cheers!

By all means, im not weeding out the possibility that my car was truely stolen... Although, until I receive some concrete proof, I will remain to be skeptical.

Milesmcewing, when these scenarios happened to your customers, how did you prove to them that this was in-fact what had happened?

Small update - I received a kind email from my salesman today, which stated that they are willing to cooperate with me to "make this situation right for you". I'll know more details in a few days.

milesmcewing
04-21-2009, 07:50 AM
I honestly can't remember a customer ever asking for proof!

The car that fell off the train on its side, we ended up having a customer trade in a car the next day, that was a better fit for the customer, so he was happier in the end.

Good luck in your search, unfortunately, I can't help you finding a BMW, but feel free to contact me to find a
Porsche, you might be surprised at the pricing versus cost of ownership and value compared to what you are looking for.

Cheers

Miles

igotacookie
04-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Doesn't insurance pay for the cost of the vehicle?
If I had purchased a car and it was stolen/damaged before it got to me, I would expect that the dealer either replace it with a similar one or refund the money at my discretion.

Its fishy because it doesn't appear the dealer was interested in doing business with the OP anymore.

w_man
04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
^^ eemm not sure if the deposit was an issue. I'm sure OP got his deposit back. The point is to have that car (one he wanted) and to make sure the dealership didn't simply find a buyer who was willing to pay more for the car and sold it to him AFTER taking OP's deposit.

digi
05-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Update for everyone.

I was going to make this post earlier, but didn't want to jinx the potential transaction.

Calgary BMW had offered me a fantastic deal on a brand new vehicle. I won't go into any names or specific #'s, but all in all, I believe Calgary BMW has really stepped up to the plate and made me a very satisfied customer.

I ended up with a brand new 09 aspen white 135i, on coral red leather interior. Fully loaded, even including navi. It arrived yesterday :)

So, all in-all I guess my original purchase having been stolen was somewhat a blessing in disguise..

GQBalla
05-01-2009, 09:45 AM
NICE!

TheCheff
05-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Shit george u got it already? Lets go for a spin!