PDA

View Full Version : LF: Cheap 4 port+ SATA Card

nobb
04-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm looking for a Sata card to use in my Windows Home Server. Preferably PCI-e, but will consider standard PCI too if it is dirt cheap. 4 ports or more would be great, independent ports preferred (because some of the cheap ones have 4 ports, but only 2 are actually usable). Cheaper the better, don't need fancy features like RAID.

Name your price and location. Thanks.

eblend
04-19-2009, 03:19 PM
I got 2 PCI cards with 2 sata ports each, $20 for both if your interested. Unfortunately they won't take any hdds bigger then 500GB

nobb
04-19-2009, 04:59 PM
^I've only got 1 PCI and 1 PCI-e slot on my motherboard. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for a card that can accept 500gb+ hard drives. Any chance you know what chipset or brand the cards are? Perhaps they can be flashed with newer firmware to accept larger hard drives.

Alterac
04-19-2009, 05:55 PM
nvm, was sata 1 only.

eblend
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by nobb
^I've only got 1 PCI and 1 PCI-e slot on my motherboard. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for a card that can accept 500gb+ hard drives. Any chance you know what chipset or brand the cards are? Perhaps they can be flashed with newer firmware to accept larger hard drives.
Trust me I tried and failed miserable many times..until I googled the chipset number online (the actual processor that houses the code), its a write once chip! So even thought there are firmware upgrades available for the model of chipset used...they can't be flashed to this particular chip....