PDA

View Full Version : Urethane?

One_night_lover
10-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Whats the difference between a Fiber Glass Body kit and a Urethane kit? Which one is better?

THREE40SEVEN
10-21-2003, 01:45 PM
urethane flexes. fibreglass doesent.
Go urethane.

civiclvr
10-21-2003, 02:23 PM
to expand on ^^^ fiberglass will break in cold cold weather cause it doesn't flex.. urethane will flex (expand/contract) can lead to sagging but nothing a screw or two can't fix!! Go Urethane

GT2NV
10-21-2003, 03:31 PM
depends... i say go fiberglass if your cars gonna be a summer car, cause it doesnt sag and its not nearly as heavy or expensive, but if its a year round vehical go urethane.

civiclvr
10-21-2003, 03:34 PM
touche! lol

Weapon_R
10-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Reply only if you know what you are talking about.

Urethane is flexible but it sucks dick in summer, it warps and sags.

A good fiberglass kit is a lot better than a urethane kit. They don't "break" in the winter, they don't crack that easy unless its a good impact. There is much better selection of fiberglass kits.

Barlow
10-22-2003, 11:38 AM
yeah in the summer, it sags off the car, put your car ina fuckin ice bath ever summer if we have summers like the one we just had for the next 5 years

buh_buh
10-22-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by civiclvr
to expand on ^^^ fiberglass will break in cold cold weather cause it doesn't flex I drove my car all last winter and mine didn't "break"

Talies R
10-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Urethane is flexible but it sucks dick in summer, it warps and sags.

For the record, my friend has a urethane bodykit and even in the hottest temperature's this summer it never sagged or warped. Has this actually happened to anyone here? Also, even if that is true... anything that heat can warp, will also go back to it's original form the same way.

buh_buh
10-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Talies R

For the record, my friend has a urethane bodykit and even in the hottest temperature's this summer it never sagged or warped. Has this actually happened to anyone here? Also, even if that is true... anything that heat can warp, will also go back to it's original form the same way. it doesn't warp from heat, but it does over time.

Talies R
10-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
it doesn't warp from heat, but it does over time.

Overtime as in how long?

rice_eater
10-22-2003, 04:38 PM
my urethane front doesn't sag and it's flexible enough that i hit the end of a parking spot (very slow speed) and my car stoped and bounced back with no damage done to it. My fiberglass back bumper on the other hand rattles and i got some small fisures in it over last winter. How's that for personal experience?

Wildcat
10-22-2003, 04:44 PM
i have a polyurethane kit thats molded... never have i had any problems with it,

i did tap a curb in a parking lot however and it left a few hardly noticable spider cracks on the front bumper, but thats expected. the moldings are still mint and it looks as great as ever.

urthane is known to stand up beter to rocks and other dibres compared to fiberglass..

Talies R
10-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Urethane makes way more sense than fiberglass!!!

Wildcat
10-22-2003, 04:53 PM
id say the best advantage fiber glass kits have is the selection over urethane

civiclvr
10-22-2003, 05:11 PM
sorry.. i meant cracks not break. i know it wouldn't actually break into 2 pieces.. but i guess i'll keep my mouth shut

buh_buh
10-22-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by civiclvr
sorry.. i meant cracks not break. i know it wouldn't actually break into 2 pieces.. but i guess i'll keep my mouth shut
no cracking either. If its gonna crack, what's gonna stop it from breaking into 2 pieces?

Originally posted by Talies R

Overtime as in how long? probably over a few years

THREE40SEVEN
10-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Elighten us, oh mighty knowledgable one:rolleyes:
I will now sit attentively and axiously wait a response from our "R" powered brother.

Weapon_R
10-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

Elighten us, oh mighty knowledgable one:rolleyes:
I will now sit attentively and axiously wait a response from our "R" powered brother.

Were you too dumb to read the rest of the post?

THREE40SEVEN
10-22-2003, 08:42 PM

Were you too dumb to read the rest of the post?
The rest of your post says that fibreglass is superior to urethane. I dont agree, and therefore you are saying i dont know what im talking about.
The urethane parts for imports may be of a cheaper quaility than the brands that i use. To date, i have had no warped urethane parts on any of the kits that i sell.
Also, the 16 year old dick sucking original urethane parts on my car are not warped.
If the urethane parts that your buying warp over one summer, buy a different brand, becuase your buying junk.
I would rather buy a urthane bumper that MAY warp over the next 10 years than a fibreglass one that would shatter with a small impact.

Barlow
10-23-2003, 12:11 PM
thi is wear learning to drive comes into play

Blue Devil 2
10-23-2003, 12:13 PM
My urethane side skirts haven't deformed in any way :)

Weapon_R
10-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

The rest of your post says that fibreglass is superior to urethane. I dont agree, and therefore you are saying i dont know what im talking about.
The urethane parts for imports may be of a cheaper quaility than the brands that i use. To date, i have had no warped urethane parts on any of the kits that i sell.
Also, the 16 year old dick sucking original urethane parts on my car are not warped.
If the urethane parts that your buying warp over one summer, buy a different brand, becuase your buying junk.

Here's why:

Fiberglass is superior to urethane in the variety of styles available.

Fiberglass does not "break" in winter

Fiberglass costs less than Urethane.

Fiberglass is lighter than Urethane.

Fiberglass from a reputable company fits just as well as Urethane.

Fiberglass can withstand light impacts if a well made kit is purchased.

Now, Urethane flexes. Great. For those worried about flexibility, use the difference in cost to buy yourselves some driving lessons :thumbsup:

KoukiS14
10-24-2003, 08:59 AM
How bout a kit made from Hybrid Glass. Its a bit costly but you get the best of both worlds.

Or fuck it.....get Carbon Fiber :D

scott douglass
10-28-2003, 11:10 AM
what about poly fiber

99SiR
10-28-2003, 11:40 AM
i'm guessing its fairly simple. What is going to hold up better and will last longer and look better in the long run is what all bumpers on cars are made out of with the exception of exotics.......POLYURETHANE. I mean all car bumpers are made out of this, if it sagged they wouldn't make bumpers out of it. If fiberglass was better and help up just as strongly has poly did then car companies would use fiberglass. Isn't the really expensive cwest kits made out of poly as well?

gpomp
10-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Arn't bumpers made out of ABS plastic?

One_night_lover
11-17-2003, 12:41 PM
yea, alot are made out of ABS plastic, or some kind of plastic. Makes sense, since why waste money on bumber.

ls/vtec-crx
11-17-2003, 06:03 PM
I have poly-fiber available. It's basically a combination of fiberglass and urethane. I have seen it in person and it has the same characteristics of a urethane piece. You can twist the bumper in half, and i've seen the side skirt actually been run over. The only advantage it has to urethane is it doesn't warp in hot temperature.

3G
11-17-2003, 06:20 PM
k so what's the difference between poly fiber, carbon fiber and fiber glass? :dunno: sorry im new to thiss shit

ls/vtec-crx
11-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
k so what's the difference between poly fiber, carbon fiber and fiber glass? :dunno: sorry im new to thiss shit

Poly fiber is flexible and light weight.
Carbon Fiber is meant for light weight. (Hoods)
Fiberglass doesn't flex and is abit heavier than Carbon Fiber.

ls/vtec-crx
11-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo

Poly fiber is flexible and light weight.
Carbon Fiber is meant for light weight. (Hoods)
Fiberglass doesn't flex and is abit heavier than Carbon Fiber.