PDA

View Full Version : Condo Window Blinds/Tint

vitamin-L
04-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I just recently purchased a condo and I have wall to ceiling windows. I have a SW view, so I get a lot of natural light coming in. I wanted to know if anyone can point to a good company or information regarding getting nice (ie. not IKEA) condo/apartment style blinds.

The windows don't have any tint on the outside of them so you can see pretty clearly into my condo and I was thinking of maybe getting some kind of tint installed. I'm pretty sure it would have to be done from the inside. I have a really great view and don't want to impede my view but at the same time, some privacy is needed. Does anyone ever had something like this installed or any information about this?

Any comments would be great. Thanks,

G-ZUS
04-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Get some window tint from homedepot.ca. Its the cling type, so you can take it off and on as you please

eblend
04-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Make sure that if you do do tint that is allowed in your condo. I know most new condos only allow some colors, for example in our we had to install white blinds only, no choice

em2ab
04-19-2009, 06:40 PM
If it's daytime and you have the window wide open, people still won't be able to see inside. If it's brighter outside than inside then you're good.
And if you're applying tint, check to make sure cellular signals pass through it. When they glazed all the windows in Banker's Hall a few years ago it blocked the cellular signal and nobody had reception.

frozenrice
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
You have to remember that windows in houses/commercial are different than automotive glass. Windows are usually double/triple paned and are sealed airtight to create a thermal break. Tinting can sometimes create too high of a temperature difference between the outermost panes of glass causing the sealing structure to fail over time. Failures as such may result in leaks and condensation in between the panes. Tinting is not usually recommended by the manufactures and in some cases void the warranty on the windows.
That's not to say you can't tint the windows, just be aware of the possible consequences. You're safest bet is to go with blinds.

NickGT
04-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
You have to remember that windows in houses/commercial are different than automotive glass. Windows are usually double/triple paned and are sealed airtight to create a thermal break. Tinting can sometimes create too high of a temperature difference between the outermost panes of glass causing the sealing structure to fail over time. Failures as such may result in leaks and condensation in between the panes. Tinting is not usually recommended by the manufactures and in some cases void the warranty on the windows.
That's not to say you can't tint the windows, just be aware of the possible consequences. You're safest bet is to go with blinds.

:werd:

Tint can also cause bad breakage. Especially with southern exposure. To much heat gets trapped between the panes, they swell and blow up. I do residential glass for a living we fix lots of these.

Not to mention if there's a warranty on your windows, you can kiss it goodbye after you tint.

Blinds, curtains, or both are a much better route.

vitamin-L
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Great, thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.

ee2k
05-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Blinds can be pricey. A good alternative is to go with sheer drapes. While they give you privacy, they allow you to maintain your view and look out the window from inside. I have seen them in white, creme or mustard colour at Home Outfitters, got them in creme and they're great. Less than $100 including rods for living room balcony size window and bedroom window.