PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into welding, advice on what welder to buy?

zieg
04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Ok, I have a little bit of welding experience.. Some stick welding.. mostly wire feed though. I'd like to buy a welder of my own so that I can tackle some projects (automotive related and otherwise) but I really have no idea what I should look for in a welder or where I should look to buy it.

Basically just looking for something that will work for welding pipes, tubes, steel angle, stuff like that. But like I say, I have no idea what amperage, etc I need to look for. Any help appreciated.

Edit: Kinda liking this (http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=910186&Ntt=910186&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber) but damn, expensive. Maybe I should look for a used one?

Kobe
04-19-2009, 07:53 PM
My buddy says you should pick up the Miller pro diesel welding machine.. its the 305d he thinks...

delled
04-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Ranger 305D LINK1727-3
List price: $9490.00
Free Shipping!

The 305D is a little pricey for a home welder. I think the OP is on the right track. (just my opinion)

Jason Lange
04-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
My buddy says you should pick up the Miller pro diesel welding machine.. its the 305d he thinks...

Haha I don't think he is looking to set up a truck and head out looking for pipeline work.

I would suggest something a little nice than the one you've posted. It depends if you have 220 available though. If 120 is all you have then that will do the trick. Whats your max budget? Remember to think about shielding gas, helmet, gloves, wire, consumables, etc...

nonlinear
04-19-2009, 11:07 PM
if you're not willing to drop $500-600 on that wire-feed, then you definately need to find a used welder. i'm not sure where to get such a thing, did you check kijiji? or maybe a pawn shop?

zieg
04-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Well, I don't have 220 wired up atm, but it's not impossible to do. As far as other things like helmet, gloves, etc go.. I was thinking I would definitely pick those up used. Already checked kijiji and craigslist for welders.. Once I have a better idea of what I want, I will hit up some pawnshops in search of an actual welder.

How expensive is gas anyhow? I was kinda thinking It would be cool if I could find a MIG that would do flux core as well, so I could start with flux core and then go from there..

So when a welder's spec sheet says it will weld up to say.. 1/4" or whatever, does that mean you could get full penetration from one side only, or what?

I'm sure these questions sound fucking retarded to experienced welders, but I've just never had much of a chance to learn before.

Supa Dexta
04-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Syncrowave 250, Thermal-Arc 185, Miller Diversion 165, Lincoln Precision 225, Miller Dynasty. Pick a budget.

Jason Lange
04-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Syncrowave 250, Thermal-Arc 185, Miller Diversion 165, Lincoln Precision 225, Miller Dynasty. Pick a budget.

I doubt he is looking for a tig...I would honestly go into a welding supply shop sit down tell them your budget, your requirements and they can talk you through a variety of machines. Take that information and if you can find something used that is similar to what you discussed then pick it up. If not spend the little bit extra and buy new.

Gas will run you about $160 to get your lease setup and fill the bottle.

As a starter welding setup check these out...

I would suggest this for 120v...http://millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_140_autoset/

and this for 220v...http://millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_180_autoset/

zieg
04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I think I will follow Jason's advice and try to talk to someone at a supply shop. I guess I'll be spending a bit more than I had planned, but if that's what it costs, that's what it costs.