PDA

View Full Version : working the night shift workout

Jim Rome99
04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I have a buddy who works from 7.30pm-6am every night, for eighteen days straight. He wants to know when he should work out and when to eat protein/carbs, or avoid eating protein/carbs. I would really appreciated some advice as I don't know what to tell him. Cheers.

Supa Dexta
04-19-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm on nights and usually go to the gym 5mins after I wake up... It sucks dragging my ass over there, but gotta do what ya gotta do. Eating is rough, since I have to eat a supper meal for breakfast.. Then whatever for midnight, and cereal before bed. :rofl:

Darkane
04-20-2009, 11:32 AM
What are his sleeping patterns like?

I know some people who work nights like to try to make them as normal as possible, staying up a couple hours after, winding down etc.

When I work nights I try to go to bed the instant I get home. I try to spare my body the couple hours of added night time stress.

So if he likes to wake up just before work, tell him to start waking up earlier. Workout pre-work.

Easiest way I've found working nights it to do this: Wake up - breakfast, wait an hour or so then hit the gym.

Come back Post workout shake, and 30-60min after have your first pwo meal. Depending on what his goals are, carbs should be mostly pre-post workout. If he's cutting, all carbs post workout in the shake only.

If he's bulking, then he can have up to 2 meals after the shake containing carbs. This is all of course dependent on how he handles carbs.. I don't know him so I can't offer concrete advice.

Then he can work and do a 5 hour carb cutoff before bed.