PDA

View Full Version : Im an idiot....

DUBBED
10-21-2003, 04:35 PM
okay i have this question that i cant figure out i need some help...

please please please

Find and equation of the tangent line to the curve y = 3x^2 - 2x +1 that is perpendicular to the line 3x - 2y +2 = 1. Write your solution in the slope-intercept form.

okay i just rearrange the second equation and found the slope of the line i need to find which is -3/2. Then to find the equation of the tangent i took the derivative of the first equation and now what? this is where i get stuck..... anyone have an idea?

prelude_crazy
10-21-2003, 04:43 PM
MAth on beyond.ca.....

Cant you ask ur dad or something.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Math 30 or 31. Cuz there is a way to do it with derivatives in 31, i just forget.

Akagi Redsuns
10-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
okay i have this question that i cant figure out i need some help...

please please please

okay i just rearrange the second equation and found the slope of the line i need to find which is -3/2. Then to find the equation of the tangent i took the derivative of the first equation and now what? this is where i get stuck..... anyone have an idea?

The derivative of that curve (y = 3x^2 - 2x +1) equals the slope. So basically take the derivative, dy/dx=6x-2 and make it equal to the slope you just figured out which you said was -3/2. So basically simplify

6x-2=-3/2, so basically y=6x-1/2 I think it is. Should double check....it's been years since I have done any math of this sort (aka, this simple), lol :)