PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Mail on Iphone

VTEXTC
04-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey folks,

I have had an Iphone 3G (Rogers) since their launch last summer. I have also been a Shaw residential internet customer for over 12 years now (since the @home days).

In any event, up until now, I configured my Iphone 3G to recieve and send emails from my Shaw account, using the "Mail" application on the phone.

As of last week, I am only able to recieve emails, and no longer send them. I have not changed any settings on my Iphone, nor have I updated any software from Apple in well over a month.

What has changed? Has Shaw changed anything at their end that would prevent me from sending emails remotely on the Roger's network? Anyone found a way to circumvent this?

Thanks in advance
A

Shogged
04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
what is your outgoing server set too?

VTEXTC
04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
The Primary Server was set to:

shawmail.cg.shawcable.net (ON)

And the "Other SMTP Server" was set to:

smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com (OFF)

I have since tried fooling around with turning the Rogers outgoing server on and off, to no avail.

A

Shogged
04-21-2009, 10:38 AM
change the primary server to

smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com

and make sure SSL is off

should so the trick, make sure you reset your iphone too by holding down the power and home buttons

zipdoa
04-21-2009, 10:42 AM
You can only send when connected to WI-FI AFAIK, the shawmail server does not work to send emails over 3G. Someone correct me if i'm wrong? I just tried to set it up a couple weeks ago and couldn't b/c I wasn't on WI-FI.

VTEXTC
04-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Shogged,

Changed primary outgoing to Rogers, and much like before, I'm only able to recieve emails, not send them.

Zip/Doa, incidentally, I've been receiving and sending emails via Shaw on my Iphone since last summer :dunno: Not sure what may have changed here in the last few weeks!

A

Shogged
04-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by VTEXTC
Shogged,

Changed primary outgoing to Rogers, and much like before, I'm only able to recieve emails, not send them.

Zip/Doa, incidentally, I've been receiving and sending emails via Shaw on my Iphone since last summer :dunno: Not sure what may have changed here in the last few weeks!

A

interesting, i'll give you the steps that tech support is going to go through if you like to save you a call into them. if none of these work it could possibly be a problem with the phone itself, but if just the email isn't working then i'm sort of doubting that.

First thing they're going to do is check your simcard, to see if its a 4000 series. If you pop that out and see 4000 as the 9,10,11 and 12th digit then you're good to go, if not a new sim card will do wonders for your phone and your battery life.

then they'll double check your software, currently the iphone is at 2.2.1. If you check the about category on your phone and its anything less, sometimes not having the most updated version can affect your network settings (more commonly with dropping calls, but who knows!)

Then they'll probably double check if a different email account works on the phone. My suggestion would be quickly make a gmail account because its free and the phone already has the settings enabled by default. Send a few test emails to yourself. This will tell right away if its the account settings on your shawmail, or something to do with the rogers network.

Finally if your gmail account is working fine, write down all the settings for your shawmail and just delete the account entirely, and put it back on your phone. I've had a few customers (mostly with yahoo accounts) that have had perfectly set up email accounts that suddenly stopped working, but were fixed instantly by just deleting the account and starting over again. In cases like this it could be that something was changed on shaws end that might have had something to do with serial numbers, wifi addresses, or a number of other things (none of which i'm an expert on by any means haha, shawmail is so fucked!) Simply just reseting the network settings like that can make all the difference (same reason turning a phone on and off fixes at least half the problems people find haha)

if this fails to produce results, I would give tech support a call from a phone other than your iphone at 1888ROGERS1, just before lunch being the best time in my experience for hold times. If they push you through the same steps I offered you, tell them you visited a rogers store and they did all of this with you. Odds are if they don't have any other tips they're going to send you a new phone.

Hope that helps!

VTEXTC
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Shogged,

Thank-you for being so prompt in replying, and being so thoroughly helpful.

Despite this, I've had no luck and have performed the following:

-Checked SIM Card; it is indeed a "4000" series as you say.
-Sync'd IPhone again w/desktop and confirmed that it has O.S 2.2.1 installed

-Spent 27 minutes on the phone with Rogers, during which they set up my Shaw account on another IPhone at their call centre. They were able to replicate the issue where they were able to send emails (as I am), however the emails are not making it to their destination. Both Iphones are still successfully able to receive emails from various other servers.

At a loss, the representative concluded that it is a Shaw outgoing mail server issue!

Anyone else? Perhaps I'll try giving Shaw a call and will keep you all updated.

A

benyl
04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Email/RemotePOPAccess.htm

To send email you must use the outgoing mail server settings of the Internet connection you are connected to, you cannot use Shaw’s outgoing server when not on a Shaw Internet connection.

In other words, you need to set the outgoing SMTP server to rogers or something else like gmail that allows outgoing mail.

VTEXTC
04-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by benyl
http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Email/RemotePOPAccess.htm

In other words, you need to set the outgoing SMTP server to rogers or something else like gmail that allows outgoing mail.

Correct :thumbsup: The smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com server address meets this criteria AFAIK.

A

FreakinPrince
04-21-2009, 12:09 PM
can some one actually outline exactly what to put in the following field?

incoming mail server
HOST NAME: ???

outgoing mail server
HOSTNAME: ??

i have tried so many time and i can't even get emails...

i don't mind not sending but i would like to recieved it

thanks for the help

VTEXTC
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince
can some one actually outline exactly what to put in the following field?

incoming mail server
HOST NAME: ???

outgoing mail server
HOSTNAME: ??

i have tried so many time and i can't even get emails...

i don't mind not sending but i would like to recieved it

thanks for the help

For Shaw customers:

incoming: pop.shaw.ca
outgoing: smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com

Hope that helps!

A

VTEXTC
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Update: After 49 minutes on the phone with Rogers (again), it would appear that this is a 3G network related issue. Apparently, I was only the second person to call and bring their attention to it, and only now have they started working on the problem.

ETA to repair the issue is 24-48 hours, just as a heads-up to anyone else experiencing the same.

Thanks again to all the troubleshooters!

Asif

LBG
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
All you have to do is in settings or preference in your shaw email change auto send email or something like that forward them to your gmail account and add the info on your iPhone your good to go to get shaw email on your iPhone that's what I've done

soupey
04-21-2009, 11:06 PM
like stated above, shaw doesnt let u access their outgoing server outside of their network, you need to use another smtp server like ucalgary or gmail.

ZorroAMG
04-21-2009, 11:35 PM
forward shaw to gmail then gmail to iPhone mail