PDA

View Full Version : US Vehicle In Canada???? HELP!!

stikkyp
04-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a vehicle however the vehicle i'm looking at has come from the US and never got inspected. The guy brought it here and stayed. Moved everything to his home in Edmonton and there it sits.. Its been here for years and its a late 80's vehicle. The body and vehicle condition is great. I'm just wondering what i should do. I have another vehicle that i could switch all the parts to however its got a worse body (rust) and the US vehicle is CLEAN! I want to drive the US vehicle but need to make it ok to run and drive in canada..

Whats your opinion on what i should do.. He has the title and its in his name willing to sign it over..

realazy
04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I believe you'll have to import the vehicle if you want to drive it in Canada.

It's still registered in the US, and never had Canadian registration.

Since it's over 15 years old, you should be able to import it without much hassle with the 15 year rule.

clem24
04-21-2009, 03:24 PM
AFAIK, he has to physically take it out of the country, go back to the border to "import" it, fill out all the paper work, pay GST and fees, get OOP, register, and you should be golden.

I am pretty sure that if it's never been imported, then it has to leave the country. He can't just sell it. I could be wrong tho.

JAYMEZ
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure a time limit is put in place to import a vehicle , im suprised it hasnt been crushed. I would not buy this car. Why would he not import it , its useless to you.. And at the Canadian boarder taxes need to be paid , so how do you explain how much it was bought for YEARS ago...

Weapon_R
04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
See if you can drive it back into the U.S. and then drive back in. Since its more than 15 years old, RIV won't have much authority but you'll still need to pay taxes and do the OOP.

funkedelic2
04-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Don't buy it unless your sure that you will be able to drive it legally in Canada. If you want to persue it make the owner go through the process of importing it before you give him any money.

Chances are that they won't allow it to be imported since it just sat her for so many years already.