PDA

View Full Version : dealership calling to buy my car?

Proyecto2000
04-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Have any beyonders received calls from car dealerships wanting to buy your car?

I just received a call from a Nissan dealership here in town that would like to buy my car. My car has never been for sale, which is why the call surpised me. So my guess is that they are calling people who have bought cars from them in the past and are now wanting to buy them back for next to nothing. :dunno:

Any one else receive any calls from Nissan lately?

brandon
04-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I am not to sure in your case but I know in the past dealerships have used this method to bring in you and upsell you on a newer car while taking your car in on trade.

I have seen some salespeople leaving notes on peoples cars in mall parking lots saying the dealership wants to buy your car and to phone XXX-XXX-XXXX ect..

chkolny541
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
yea its just a selling tactic, car sales are down, and by doing this they can force people to come to the dealership

Proyecto2000
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
^ hmm thats good to know then.

The guy who called me was from Fish Creek Nissan, told me that they had a customer looking for a Sentra like mine. They (the dealer) just wanted me to sell the car directly to this customer via the dealer. From what I understood, they just wanted to buy my car for peanuts for the "customer" that they currently have lined up.

I told him I wasnt thinking of selling the car as I had just spent about $2000 in service/maintence in the last 8 months. But if they wanted to give me a serious offer I would consider selling it. Gave him the car details and he said that he would talk to his manager and call me back with an offer. Long Story short, they offered me 40% of what beat up Sentras with 50%-80% more KM's are going for in the Autotrader. I just laughed and told the guy that unless they would give me a large discount on an Xterra or Frontier, I would not be selling them my car at such a low price.
Sales guy then told me he would call me later after talking to his manager.

Masked Bandit
04-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I'll give these guys credit for being a little more creative in their selling / business tactics but offering a lowball number (while not surprising) kills the concept.

Super_Geo
04-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
Long Story short, they offered me 40% of what beat up Sentras with 50%-80% more KM's are going for in the Autotrader.

Next time tell him you're 100% down and they should get all the paperwork ready for you to sign and that the only time you can meet them is 7AM on Sunday morning due to your busy schedule.

Repeat as necessary.

98brg2d
04-22-2009, 02:09 PM
I told him I wasnt thinking of selling the car as I had just spent about $2000 in service/maintence in the last 8 months.

I have had this happen to me a couple of times right after spending lots to fix my car/truck, I think they figure "This guy probably doesn't want to deal with high repair costs anymore, lets try to get him into a new car". The funny thing is, my Neon is and has been worth next to nothing to a dealer for almost 5 years now and my truck was still under warranty when any work was done so there was no point in even thinking about getting rid of either of them.

94boosted
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
That's a new tactic for sure never heard of that one before. At my old dealership some sales guys would put their business cards on peoples cars but not try to buy back there car especially at a Low Ball offer