PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Wiring Help

roadwarrior57
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Okay, I'm having a brain fart... Too much biology on the brain from studying for final exams. If I had two speakers at 4 ohms and I wire them in a series-parallel fashion, it will still present 4 ohms. But will the wattage going to both be split between the two? For example, if an amp could send 300 watts, then each speaker will see about 150 watts each? (I even took a university course on this! >.<)

Also, if I ran two amps, I'd run separate power and ground wires. But is it safe to tap the remote turn on wire from the first amp?

nobb
04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
It should be ok to use the same remote wire to trigger other amps, the current drawn from the ACC wire shouldnt be that much.

What do you mean wiring two speakers in "series-parallel"? That doesnt make sense....if you have two speakers then you either wire them in series or parallel. Wire them in parallel and it will appear as a 2 ohm load. Wire in series and it will be 8 ohms. If your amp isn't rated to drive a 2 ohm load, then it's best to wire in series (although you will have to turn it up more to get any volume out of it).

.civictyper.
04-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes you can tap the remote to turn on both amps. You also do not need to run separate power and ground wires if you are running a proper gauge wire for both the power and ground, you can simply bridge the amps.. I would recommend using a cap as well if you are pulling that much power from your battery.

As for the ohms.. i don't know. But I am sure someone on here can help you out

roadwarrior57
04-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Sorry... I looked at the wiring schematic and realized the style of wiring it was referring to only applies if there are four speakers to drive at the same time.

Anyway, nonsense aside... Two speakers on one channel means the watts get split between the two?

///LOUD LOAD\\\
04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes.

roadwarrior57
04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Straight and to the point. Just what I needed to know. Thanks.

One more question. I'm planning on getting a 5 channel amp to run 4 speakers and a sub. Will I be able to mix and match the impedance? For example, 4 speakers at 4 ohms and a the two subs wired in parallel giving me 2 ohms altogether. If my amp has ratings for 4 and 2 ohms, will I run into problems or is it safe to do such a thing? This is assuming that in the end, the watts of all the speakers/subs match the output of the amp.

I really appreciate everyone's help! Glad I joined this forum.

///LOUD LOAD\\\
04-24-2009, 09:44 PM
That will be fine too. You say the amp is 2ohm stable on the sub channel then its all good.