PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to the darkside.

Dope7
04-21-2009, 10:55 PM
lol, well my 7 is up for sale. if sold for what i am asking for , i will be picking up a decent winter(all season car) and saving up for a Honda S2000.

any ideas guys? what's the difference between the AP1 and Ap2?
i am a Bmw fanboy haha, BMWs are expensive to fix, parts are expensive too. I used to hate honda's hahaha But i just can't stand the beauty of that 2800lbs S2000. I think what makes those cars fun is that, it's a RWD, Light, and Reliable.

Post some Pics, let me drool all over it.:drool:

psycoticclown
04-21-2009, 11:10 PM
http://images.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_0803_17_z+spoon_sport_honda_s2000_demo_car+front_custom_widebody_front_view.jpg
http://www.tommychang.net/uploaded_images/061505_1j-798193.jpg
http://cornerbalance.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/amuses20001.jpg

Mein gott that's a sexy machine :drool:

ZorroAMG
04-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Eww that first one looks like the breast bug.

LUDELVR
04-21-2009, 11:45 PM
There's an entire thread dedicated to the s2k. Do a search, it's got heaps of info and photos!! :thumbsup:

By the way, it's not so dark once you have to the top down!! :devil:

:poosie: :poosie:

And just for the record mate, I never used to get laid!!! Now, I NEVER get laid in a convertible!!!! :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

funkedelic2
04-22-2009, 02:09 AM
I don't know if its just me but both of those are fucking ugly! (I think 2 and 3 are the same car?)

you&me
04-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
I don't know if its just me but both of those are fucking ugly! (I think 2 and 3 are the same car?)

Not just you...

I thought the darkside was Ferrari owners buying a Lambo :dunno:

SRT10Killer
04-22-2009, 10:46 AM
I also had disturbing thoughts of moving to the darkside

from JDM to vipers :(

JAYMEZ
04-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Going from a BMW to a s2k is a big change... I owned an S2k for a short while (Had m3 as well).. You know its a fun car to rip around in , the interior is kinda "ok" .. It was pretty snug fit for a 6'1 driver , but the one thing I didnt like about it was the HP (and mine was Supercharged).. I think the s2k would be an awesome second car .. IMO

heavyD
04-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Since when is owning a Honda joining the dark side?

TorqueDog
04-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Honestly, you're gonna enjoy the hell out of an S2000.

I got to drive imjimmylin's S2000 when he test drove my M, and what a car. I was afraid to give it too much jam since it wasn't my car, but simply amazing to drive.

I'd buy one without thinking twice.

canuckcarguy
04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer
I also had disturbing thoughts of moving to the darkside

from JDM to vipers :(

So you keep telling us. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.:rolleyes:

SRT10Killer
04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

So you keep telling us. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure this is the second time....

you&me
04-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Honestly, you're gonna enjoy the hell out of an S2000.

I got to drive imjimmylin's S2000 when he test drove my M, and what a car. I was afraid to give it too much jam since it wasn't my car, but simply amazing to drive.

I'd buy one without thinking twice.

You drive an E39 M5 and enjoyed driving an S2000? I'm surprised...

It's one thing to go from a car that is both hp-less and torque-less and find the S2000 'amazing', but coming out of an M5, I'm shocked... The S2000 would feel like it can't get out of it's own way

JEFFRIX
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
checkmate.

911fever
04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
It feels underpowered and you have to rev the hell out of it to get anywhere. annoying, and most people sell them quickly after they own them.

heavyD
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
It feels underpowered and you have to rev the hell out of it to get anywhere. annoying, and most people sell them quickly after they own them.

I have noticed that with S2000's much like RHD cars many buyers sell them after less than a year of ownership.

911fever
04-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I have noticed that with S2000's much like RHD cars many buyers sell them after less than a year of ownership.

look at James, Ryan, they all sold their cars quickly. I test drove one for a week (a friend's), and I didn't want to own it, too harsh of a ride, and required ridiculous revving to get anywhere. I took two of them in for trade-in's last year, both were AP1's mind you, and both had 4 - 5 owners for a 6-7 year old car (which is 2 more than the average norm). Weird, especially since it's usually a summer car, more so in Calgary than the GTA anyways.

TorqueDog
04-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by you&me
You drive an E39 M5 and enjoyed driving an S2000? I'm surprised...

It's one thing to go from a car that is both hp-less and torque-less and find the S2000 'amazing', but coming out of an M5, I'm shocked... The S2000 would feel like it can't get out of it's own way Comparing the S2000 directly to an E39 M5 is unrealistic. They're two cars built with different purposes in mind. If I try and hold the S2000 to the standards of which I hold the M5, then you're right, the S2000 loses horribly.

The S2000 feels fast, it's very nimble, may not have torque, but there's an overwhelming 'whoosh' of power as the RPMs climb and you get into the sweet spot of the powerband.

you&me
04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Comparing the S2000 directly to an E39 M5 is unrealistic. They're two cars built with different purposes in mind. If I try and hold the S2000 to the standards of which I hold the M5, then you're right, the S2000 loses horribly.

The S2000 feels fast, it's very nimble, may not have torque, but there's an overwhelming 'whoosh' of power as the RPMs climb and you get into the sweet spot of the powerband.

I didn't think you were making a direct comparison, but I am still surprised you were at all impressed. I have never gotten the impression of speed from an S2000...

I know it's all relative, but on a scale of 1-10, the S2000 feels like a 3, maybe 4. It just doesn't give any kick in the pants. Now, if you're used to something that is a 1 or 2 out of 10, then it will feel fast, but your M5 is much higher on the scale, so I'm just surprised you could even feel it.

4doorj
04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

That's probably because of the price getting cheaper, so alot more people can afford them. Then they realize that it's very unpractical and want something they can fit more people and drive year round with no problem.
S2000 is a great car if you have a another car for daily driving!

Not saying it can't be driven year round because I have done it.

arian_ma
04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I've owned my car for nearly 2 1/2 years before thinking about selling.

TorqueDog
04-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by you&me
I didn't think you were making a direct comparison, but I am still surprised you were at all impressed. I have never gotten the impression of speed from an S2000...

I know it's all relative, but on a scale of 1-10, the S2000 feels like a 3, maybe 4. It just doesn't give any kick in the pants. Now, if you're used to something that is a 1 or 2 out of 10, then it will feel fast, but your M5 is much higher on the scale, so I'm just surprised you could even feel it. Well you're sitting a lot lower, and the suspension is far more firm. The car is much lighter as well. It's the sensation of going fast.

Dope7
04-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks Guys,

Let's Not turn this into another Honda Vs Another Car Market Fight.

i just want your over all review of the S2000. Well the whole power thingy is kindda ok with me. i am Used to slow car, so this doesn't really bother me. :werd:

4doorj
04-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Dope7
Thanks Guys,

Let's Not turn this into another Honda Vs Another Car Market Fight.

i just want your over all review of the S2000. Well the whole power thingy is kindda ok with me. i am Used to slow car, so this doesn't really bother me. :werd:
My over all review of S2000: I have driven way faster cars, but I still think it is one of the funnest cars you can own. By far one of my favorite cars! Which is why I've owned three of them:drool:

I say go buy one!

INeedBoost
04-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Don't know why there is so much hate for the S2000. Also driven faster, more powerful cars but I don't think this car was built for that. I have a pretty stock AP2 and love it. Its pretty much tops for what its built for and in its class.

I was steered by a fellow S2k owner into an AP2 for its daily drivability. The power is adequate and pretty zippy when reved up. For the 2.2L anyway. Can't speak for the 2L. Suspension is pretty harsh and find myself cringing when accidently hitting potholes and so on. Ok for practicality. I daily drive mine in summer and take it golfing, shopping, whatever. My only problem with the S2k is the softop. Poorly designed imo. I'd watch out for wear and tear leading to an eventual rip. I found this out a bit too late.

buh_buh
04-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Everything about the car resembles a go-kart, including the engine. If the power doesn't bother you, then go for it. I traded cars with a friend with a S2000 for a week, and I found it to be so gutless, but still fun. But the things that bothered me were 1) lack of power 2) road noise 3) bland interior 4) horrible blind spots with the top up 5) uncomfortable. That's not to say I hated the car though.

max_boost
04-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Always thought the dark side means going to FI? lol

Anyway, I've said it before, the S2K is like a hot chick that you want to bang occasionally and live with for a short duration but after awhile you just to move on. That's why everyone keeps buying, selling and re-buying them *ahem, 4doorj* :D

superboss
04-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Come over to the darkside, we have cookies... hahahaha
Welcome brother...

buh_buh
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Always thought the dark side means going to FI? lol

Anyway, I've said it before, the S2K is like a hot chick that you want to bang occasionally and live with for a short duration but after awhile you just to move on. That's why everyone keeps buying, selling and re-buying them *ahem, 4doorj* :D my question is... why would you want to live with a chick you want to bang occasionally? :poosie:

LUDELVR
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
my question is... why would you want to live with a chick you want to bang occasionally? :poosie:

I asked that question a million times mate...A MILLION TIMES!!!! :devil:

I've only owned mine since October and right from the test drive, I knew that the power would not do so that's why I started slowly buying parts for my turbo kit. The kit is done mind you I need to get it tuned so we'll see if the turbo kit will alleviate the paucity of ponies under the hood!!

As for the car itself, love the look, love the handling and I love the essence of it; however, it's as buh_buh said, the blind spots are horrible (but with a nice rear view, they're tolerable), the seats are very uncomfortable for long durations of driving, there is a lack of luxuries in the car, namely: no tilt, no heated seats, no heated mirrors and no rear speakers (I added some to mine though).

Overall, I love the car and can't wait to actually get my boost gauge into the positive numbers but will have to wait about another week!! :(

When it was NA, revving it that high always got me on edge and I'm not used to it and always felt like I was running out of room; however, I do love the feeling of the top down and just cruising!! :thumbsup:

Dope7
04-26-2009, 11:17 PM
damn i just test drove one last week, let's just say my 7's feels faster than the S2k off the line, and my car is well over 4000lbs:werd: dunno about that right now, i am more into the E46 M3 right now. :devil:

95EagleAWD
04-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Boost or bust in an S2K.

Skyline_Addict
04-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I've enjoyed the S2000 very much, and have owned one for about 7 months (most of those parked, however). It is a 2004 (AP2) S2000.

1) You will absolutely need a winter/daily-driver car if you get this car. If you get a daily driver that seems more like a compromise than a solution, you better make sure you like the s2000! Otherwise you might be stuck with 2 cars you don't like. Going from a performance BMW to a revvy 4-banger...make sure you do your research. Completely different cars built for completel different purposes!

2) I drive a Honda Fit, which suits my lifestyle perfectly. I don't see it as a compromise as it is amazing on gas and hauling around cargo (and people). In fact, owning an s2000 has made me appreciate the Fit more. If you get an s2000, make sure you get a car that is the direct opposite of it as a daily driver - something that holds cargo, is good on gas and is super reliable (not to say the s2000 isn't).

3) Now, I'm not going to call the s2000 a torque monster but it definetely has plenty of pick-up if you're talking about driving on the street. Now, it's not because I drive a Fit that it makes me believe that the s2000 has tonnes of power. Perhaps it's the modifications done from AP1 to AP2 to give the s2000 better low-end acceleration. Many cars in it's class have the s2000 beat in 0-60 times. To some people, 0-60 times are be-all, end-all...heck I like powerful cars too. However, the s2000 is not a slow car as you can't just judge speed by how fast you go in a straight line. There's plenty of power for your spirited commute to work or your exhilarating trip on the open roads in the mountains. Many of the guys who have posted have driven or own 500 whp cars and I can understand their feelings as its all about perspective. I personally have not owned a car that powerful yet, and don't really care to so much.

4) Yes, other cars have more power...even more doors and a nicer interior at the same time. But the s2000 is a great track car too - it's probably a great track car above anything else, as it relatively more purpose-built for this than some of the other cars mentioned in this thread. You will have the most fun around bends, corners, meanders and so on. Not many people in this thread have praised the handling of the car - which is arguably the best feature of the car and blows other cars in it's class (and well above it) out of the water in this category. Many famous tuning companies have the s2000 as their choice-car for competitions, and it's not because it comes with air-conditioning (which it doesn't, in the CR haha). Most of these tuners have opted for weight reduction instead of FI, as the stock engine unit is so well engineered. I can't wait to take my car to the track, it's one of the things I look forward to most.

5) All in all, the s2000 is an amazing car but you will need to take steps or make some changes to enjoy owning one. You will have to deal with having 2 cars. The s2000 has a very basic (but extremely well designed) interior, with the AP2 upping the ante in this category. Road feel and ride stiffness will increase significantly (with the usual pros and cons). I'm a little bit biased, I love the car and I hope you get one. If you are at peace with the points I mentioned earlier, I can't see why you won't like an s2000. Oh, and the ladies love it! But only get one if this is the right car for you (and not just for the ladies)!

I hope my post, from the perspective of an AP2 owner, has helped.

InLoveWitRSX
04-27-2009, 02:32 AM
^ Great review.

Anyways my bro had a s2k and I have driven faster cars then the s2k but the fun factor on the s2k is way to sweet. Its a nice and raw car and thats what made my pants drop everytime I drove it.. GET IT!