PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need a copy of Windows XP please.

Pacman
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
I installed Ubuntu on my IBM THinkpad X31 which deleted the hidden partition where the Windows XP install was.

I was to go back to Windows XP as Ubuntu is not running as smooth as I had hoped and the computer is getting really really hot.

Does anyone have a copy of Windows XP that you could burn for me. I have a valid and intact COA on the bottom of the laptop.

Or....would anyone have a set of Rescue and Recovery CD's for a Thinkpad X31?

Thanks
Pacman

rage2
04-22-2009, 10:39 AM
You'll prob need the recovery CD's. Retail or volume license copies of XP won't work with your serial # on the bottom of the laptop. Some OEM copies *may* work, but chances are, only the copy on your recovery CD works.

roopi
04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I couldn't find my XP disc a few weeks ago so I just downloaded it and then entered my own license key. I was unable to activate the copy so I just called the 1-800 number and he was able to activate it for me.

Zhariak
04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Keep in mind that the IBM OEM copies of XP have their own Product ID...

OEM keys distributed with IBM laptops only work on copies of XP which are designed to be pre-loaded on IBM laptops.

Keep in mind that if you purchase or obtain a copy of XP illegaly, it may work, however won't include any of the drivers, or IBM value added software that the laptop originally shipped with.

Best bet would be to contact IBM (Now Lenovo), and get them to ship out the ThinkPad Recovery disks to reload the OS/Recovery Partition.

Pacman
04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Lenovo wants too much money for the recovery disks ($80) so I'll try and procure some another way.

eblend
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I never had an OEM disk not work with a OEM stickers on the bottom of the laptop. Find an XP OEM disk, download it from torrents or whatever, use it to install XP with the key you have at the bottom. Once all installed go to www.ibm.com and download the latest drivers, and whola, a fresh copy of XP vs one loaded with "value added" crap. I have access to all OS version from MSDN and could hook you up if you are in need.

w_man
04-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by roopi
I couldn't find my XP disc a few weeks ago so I just downloaded it and then entered my own license key. I was unable to activate the copy so I just called the 1-800 number and he was able to activate it for me.

Try this!!! A friend of mine did the same thing and they helped him out with it.