PDA

View Full Version : supplements

lint
04-22-2009, 04:38 PM
general question, those of you who use supplements, say anything outside of protein and a multivitamin, when did you start? Did you lift without first, establish a baseline, supplement and compare results? Or did you just start out taking supplements because that's what you're supposed to do when you lift?

Ebon
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
What exactly do you mean by supplements? Just anything besides multivitamin and protein?

civic_rida
04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
creatine, n.o. stuff like that i bet.

Redlined_8000
04-22-2009, 05:20 PM
The top 3 "supps" to get is Fish oil, multivitamin / mineral, and maybe some milk protein isolate or egg white protein powder for pre/post WO

Supplements are so overrated its getting retarded.

Lots of lean meat, fish, clean carbs and clean fats are what you need to grow, not the latest Muscle tech supp.

Edit:

not to bash supps or anything, there are lots of good ones, BCAA's, taurine, creatine, ZMA, but if you dont have these they will not break your gains, just clean food is what you need.

max_boost
04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Fish Oil
Flax Oil
Usana Essentials
Chocolate Milk
Food :drool:

I've gained 5lbs in the last 2 weeks and I'm always hungry. :drool:

max_boost
04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000

Lots of lean meat, fish, clean carbs and clean fats are what you need to grow, not the latest Muscle tech supp.

I like meat. :drool:

It's like the perfect compromise. You gain some weight but it's more even in the body, you get a lot stronger and you can eat a lot more. Holy fuck why didn't I start working out sooner? :rofl:

pinoyhero
04-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Supps are fine but overused by most, get your diet right first then if you are going hard enough to need more supplement.

Wildcat
04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I didn't start lifting regularly until i was 18. The highschool years I really didn't have a clue as to what I was doing (like most highschool kids), I trained off and on and didn't take anything. University rolled around and i took a weight gainer protein shake, creatine, vitamin and ate a ton of deep fried cafeteria food for my first year. For a couple years i tried those no2 products and a litany of 'get huge fast supplements', until i found out they're all a bunch of pseudo-science nonsense.

Now i just stick with the basic supplements and have been for the last couple years. A refined diet and large volume of food has made all the difference for me.

lint
04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
to clarify, I'm not looking for advice, just curious about what the population here does. The number of supplement threads, and by that I mean anything outside of protein and vitamins, from creatine to juice, makes me a little surprised by the poll results.

personally I take protein here and there, a daily multivitamin and I drink chocolate milk, and I'm pretty happy with my gains this year.

JAYMEZ
04-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Whats your goal , and why do you think you need supplements? Do you want to get body builder/ Model looking or just for the health?

Ebon
04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyone wanna fill me in on why everyone drinks chocolate milk? Whats the difference between regular milk (obviously besides the flavor)?

lint
04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Whats your goal , and why do you think you need supplements? Do you want to get body builder/ Model looking or just for the health?

My goal is to get strong. I don't need supplements, that's why I don't take them.

lint
04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Ebon
Anyone wanna fill me in on why everyone drinks chocolate milk? Whats the difference between regular milk (obviously besides the flavor)?

cause it tastes better, and if I didn't lift so much, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it without guilt.

Redlined_8000
04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Ebon

Chocolate milk has more carbs than regular milk to help replenish glycogen levels post WO.

theken
04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Chocolate milk makes me sick. I have heard things about chocolate milk from an old dairy worker

core_upt
04-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by theken
Chocolate milk makes me sick. I have heard things about chocolate milk from an old dairy worker

That it's thickened with blood. Totally untrue.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chocmilk.asp

it's milk, coca, thickener (carrageenan or starch)and sugar. loads of sugar!

BigShow
04-23-2009, 11:17 AM
If for whatever reason I wanna be completely ripped, or bulked up or just big in general...I'll use supplements including but not limited to creatine mixes, proteins, vitamins and whatever else I can get my hands on.

But if I want to maintain a regular, healthy strong body I've gone without supplements for a long period of time and maintained even gained strength and felt perfectly fit. I didnt gain any size at all, but that wasnt my goal during this period.

In reference to your question, about the beginning, personally I used a lot of protein and weight gainers to kick start things...gained 30lbs first 4 months of working out, than toned out..worked quite nicely.

theken
04-23-2009, 10:27 PM
no its not a thickened with blood myth i dont want to get into it on here, you can pm me if you want :barf: