PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Truckers. STRAP YOUR EFFING LOADS DOWN

TravisD62
04-23-2009, 10:23 AM
so as i'm driving down glenmore about a half hour ago, a semi speeds past me. all i see is a brown thing flying and then BOOM, right into the side of my car goes a nice thick sheet of plywood. of course, i'm pretty freaked out at this point, so i pull over a lane and can see the semi drivers face in his mirror checking to see if i'm following. he drives like a moron, and suddenly tries to exit off onto crowchild. i keep up laying on my horn like a crazy mofo, and he FINALLY pulls over. he slowly comes wandering over to my car, looks at it, and says, "Oh good, i was pretty sure that didn't hit you, can't trust these damn trailers" this sentence pours out of his mouth just the same moment as i'm picking pieces of wood out of the little space between my glass and the door pillar. at this point, i'm pretty fucking speechless. i proceed to just point at the pieces of window trim hanging off of my car and the dent on my roof. well, now this asshat starts begging me not to call insurance, and tries telling me it'll cost like $20 fix at the most. anyways, as much as i wanted to tell the strung out truck driver he's an idiot. and it might not be a bad idea to go visit his local dentist, i didn't. just got his information and left. anyways, i'm also looking for a RELIABLE body shop to take my car too. everytime this has happened to me in the past i end up getting screwed out of getting my car back to 100% the way it is and suckered into paying for little dents and scratches on top of all the other shit. i drive a pretty damn clean 98dx but it has a few minor flaws, i just want my car the way it was! i don't care if they have to paint a fucking dent that wasn't the other guys fault. i'm a broke ass student and shouldn't have to drive a car that looks like it got molested by splintery balls wood because some cracked out truck driver forgot to tie his shit down! like really. what if that thing went flying through a window and took out a kid or something?
:banghead:

JAYMEZ
04-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Yah I just dodged a big cinder block on the Glenmore about an hour ago (By the dealerships) , that thing would cause a serious crash , is it moved now?

BlackArcher101
04-23-2009, 10:27 AM
I would have called the cops too.... nail his ass for an unsecured load ticket... that's a hefty one.

TravisD62
04-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Yah I just dodged a big cinder block on the Glenmore about an hour ago (By the dealerships) , that thing would cause a serious crash , is it moved now?
what!? more shit flew off of him? i thought i saw him starting to strap his shit down before he left. i doubt the plywoods all off the road. i followed him a good while from where it happened till he stopped..

adam c
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
almost 2 years ago i was driving on the Anthony Henday in edmonton and a rig truck pulled out onto the road, next thing i new i saw a shiny 1 foot piece of something fly off the truck and in slow motion i just watched as a pipe smashed into the middle of my windshield

so consider yourself lucky on this one

JAYMEZ
04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by TravisD62

what!? more shit flew off of him? i thought i saw him starting to strap his shit down before he left. i doubt the plywoods all off the road. i followed him a good while from where it happened till he stopped..

Yah saw a peice of wood the size of a fence post , not just a normal size.

Civ2NR
04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Consider yourself lucky at least that sheet of plywood didn't come through your front window.

I had a matress come out of a truck driving in front of me before on the highway. With the speed and wind it flew completely over my car and then got run over by a pickup coming behind me. That's scary ass shit though as you follow something flying through the air and wondering if it's going to hit you.

Good luck with the repair.

ClearBluewater
04-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I dont even risk driving behind these guys, ever.

Moezer
04-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Civ2NR
Consider yourself lucky at least that sheet of plywood didn't come through your front window.

I had a matress come out of a truck driving in front of me before on the highway. With the speed and wind it flew completely over my car and then got run over by a pickup coming behind me. That's scary ass shit though as you follow something flying through the air and wondering if it's going to hit you.

looool was that beside deerfoot mall almost? last summer

Civ2NR
04-23-2009, 01:52 PM
^ sounds like it happened to someone else as well. I was between Calgary and Red Deer when it happened to me.

ShermanEF9
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
yeah i've had drywall sheets fly at me. not so much fun

chkolny541
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
I would have called the cops too.... nail his ass for an unsecured load ticket... that's a hefty one.

this is what you should have done, his company wouldnt have been pleased about it either

adidas
04-23-2009, 05:55 PM
thats why i dont drive beside/behind anyone that is transporting something! I dont trust them one bit!

Zhariak
04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Lol!

Last week I was driving on deerfoot. This BFI truck was doing 130KM/h and shit was spewing out of the top.

Just after I washed my vehicle. A Bucket of white paint flies out of the top of the BFI truck, and covers my 08 Escalade ESV....

Fuck I was sooo mad... He FLEW by me, and considering other cars were hit with drywall, etc... I got the fucking PAINT. After swirving and almost crashing, he was already FAR ahead.

It was either speed up, get his plate and by then the white paint would have dried on my Black SUV

Or Run back to the carwash.

Thankfully it all washed off.... but wtf

psycoticclown
04-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Lol!

Last week I was driving on deerfoot. This BFI truck was doing 130KM/h and shit was spewing out of the top.

Just after I washed my vehicle. A Bucket of white paint flies out of the top of the BFI truck, and covers my 08 Escalade ESV....

Fuck I was sooo mad... He FLEW by me, and considering other cars were hit with drywall, etc... I got the fucking PAINT. After swirving and almost crashing, he was already FAR ahead.

It was either speed up, get his plate and by then the white paint would have dried on my Black SUV

Or Run back to the carwash.

Thankfully it all washed off.... but wtf

Omg... if something like that happened to me...

Zhariak
04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

Omg... if something like that happened to me...

It was an interesting day for sure. A bunch of shit went wrong. After that happened, all the events of the day were wrapped up. My blood pressure was off the charts but it was kinda funny to sit and chuckle over that and a million other things that went wrong that day.

frozenrice
04-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Maybe this was the guy that ran over that mattress.....

http://bitsandpieces.us/2009/01/15/dont-run-over-a-mattress/

DannyO
04-23-2009, 11:27 PM
About 6-7 years ago I was driving north on deerfoot and just going over Calf Robe bridge, there was this dirty ass truck in front of me that was a mess and had some giant cylinder in the back, didn't think anything of it, then about half way over the calf robe bridge, there was some bump/dip (not there anymore) and when the truck hit, the next thing I knew, my entire windshield was covered black, could not see anything, quickly put the wipers on that did nothing, the roads weren't busy, but busy enough, I had to put my head out the window, got in the far right lane and tried to see if I could get a plate from the truck, could not see anything as the truck was covered, had to pull over and clear up the windshield enough to take it to the wash, never got it all off, screwed the paint up in a few areas.

Moezer
04-24-2009, 12:56 AM
^ sounds like it happened to someone else as well. I was between Calgary and Red Deer when it happened to me.
lol that was beside deerfoot mall lol it was a normal truck not a sami lol but almost hit a van lol scraped the side of the van lol

Rat Fink
04-24-2009, 01:12 AM

TravisD62
04-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
You see a lot of local trucks running junk around, and total retards behind the wheel at times. Running locally, you usually don't have to worry about weigh scales, inspections are few and far between, etc.

Did you get the plate number or company name? Drive to the weigh scale between Calgary and Airdrie, tell them your story and maybe they'll bring in all the company trucks for an inspection and audit. Could cost them thousands of dollars. That'll be a huge dick slap and buddy will probably lose his job. I have zero tolerance for fuckhole drivers like that.

Don't worry, I strap my shit down. ;)

Here's what's sitting right behind me as I type this out in my sleeper. Limestone...total weight of this load is 48,000 pounds. Truck weighing in at 78,500 pounds. Loaded in Indiana yesterday morning and I'm already in Saskatchewan.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/polypolara/DSCF1708.jpg

To contrast, I took this picture just outside of Salmon Arm last week. It was right in front of a gas station. From the path the truck took, it looks like he hit the ditch to miss a turning car, or was cut off, or lost control at the turn before coming upto the station. At least it wasn't one of those pieces that hit your car!!
At any rate, if you hit the ditch with a flatbed, your shit is going for a ride.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/polypolara/DSCF1683.jpg

yeah i have all the info i need to do anything. i'm going to give my self a couple days to think everything through then go from there. off topic, but did you haul drywall to totem regularly by chance? truck and trailer look awfully familiar!

Rat Fink
04-24-2009, 07:26 AM

em2ab
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
You didn't stop and move it?

If you're looking for a good body shop that I've used many times for various things and had them do extra bits of work on top of the insurance work for free or very little, then try Contemporary Coachworks. They're in the north and south but I've only dealt with the north, amazing guys and great work.

gmoney82
04-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

You didn't stop and move it?

yah he STOPPED to move it on glenmore going 80+ :rofl:

em2ab
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82

yah he STOPPED to move it on glenmore going 80+ :rofl:

At least call the cops to remove it.

em2ab
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
While we have truckers reading this, I need to ask if it's legal for a semi to be hauling its fat ass trailer down the fast lane of Deerfoot. I run into this every morning and evening to/from work, I thought it was illegal. am I wrong? They're sooooooooo slow.........:zzz:

bignerd
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
I would make all the reports necessary to stop this guy from doing this again and for the next person who gets hit and stops to check the damage or can't drive their car to chase him down.

Obviously if you had not pursued him he would not of stopped.

johnboy27
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
While we have truckers reading this, I need to ask if it's legal for a semi to be hauling its fat ass trailer down the fast lane of Deerfoot. I run into this every morning and evening to/from work, I thought it was illegal. am I wrong? They're sooooooooo slow.........:zzz:
Tractor trailers are legal to run down any lane on Deerfoot. If I am hauling an oversized load threw Calgary I go straight to the passing lane if traffic is heavy. If I am hauling a normal load I will always stay in the middle unless I come upon a slow moving vehicle and the fast lane is clear.

luv2ride_bikes
04-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27

Tractor trailers are legal to run down any lane on Deerfoot. If I am hauling an oversized load threw Calgary I go straight to the passing lane if traffic is heavy. If I am hauling a normal load I will always stay in the middle unless I come upon a slow moving vehicle and the fast lane is clear.
Why go to the passing lane? This fustrates a lot of drivers when they have a slow moving truck in the passing lane. I don't understand why truckers just don't stick to the middle lane.

johnboy27
04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by luv2ride_bikes

Why go to the passing lane? This fustrates a lot of drivers when they have a slow moving truck in the passing lane. I don't understand why truckers just don't stick to the middle lane.
Because when you are hauling a wide load the center lane is not always an option. If you are wider than the lane it is alot safer for you in a car to have part of my trailer overhanging on the shoulder rather than having me using the entire widdle lane encrouching on the other two lanes. The inside lane is pretty much out of the question because in the event that you may get stuck in a turning lane due to people not letting you change lanes you could be really fucked. On a side not, if I can't due 110 due to weight I will not go into the passing lane unless I have lots of roadway with nobody on it and I have to get by some really slow moving traffic.

adam c
04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
wide load or not, semis on the deerfoot during rushhour cause so much more hassle

i have the most respect for semi's just stay out of the damn left lane

theken
04-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Its not the semis on deerfoot during rush hour that cause a problem its the fucking morons that cut them off during rush hour. The next time you are a Lafarge truck at 430 going northbound in the right lane at Blackfoot and 17th there and decide to stay in the far right lane to get ahead of me I will not slow down and you can eat the side of my fuel tank. Dicks

Brap_Brap
04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
My buddy drove over a piece of wood on glemore today, right by the Crowchild Tr. exit, and took out his tire. Maybe same piece??

NickGT
04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Brap_Brap
My buddy drove over a piece of wood on glemore today, right by the Crowchild Tr. exit, and took out his tire. Maybe same piece??

I saw that chunk of wood. It was like 4"x4" post and a couple feet long. It was laying right in the middle of the lane when I went by. Dangerous for sure.

jonnycat
04-29-2009, 10:33 AM
This type of conversation always reminds me of the first minute of the video below.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1744012/the_most_amazing_deaths/

Caramel Coffee
04-29-2009, 10:42 AM
You're the terrible driver, not the truck driver. Move out of the way or be moved.

Ntense_SpecV
04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
In a similar circumstance I witnessed a guy in a truck lose 4-5 sheets of plywood out of his truck bed, on Saturday morning. He had his tailgate down and had just accelerated from a redlight, and didn't have the plywood strapped together. I guess he thought that the weight of the wood would hold it down. The dodge avenger behind him found out the hard way. This never would have happened if the guy loaded the wood with his tailgate up.

Zhariak
04-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
This type of conversation always reminds me of the first minute of the video below.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1744012/the_most_amazing_deaths/

That link is effin RAD!

SR54RNR
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM

That link is effin RAD!

thats the opening scene from the movie final destination (2?) The whole movie was pretty good

johnboy27
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by adam c
wide load or not, semis on the deerfoot during rushhour cause so much more hassle

Do you honestly think that any truck driver wants to drive down deerfoot during rush hour while every moronic speed demon, no blind spot checking four wheeler is driving home, no they don't. I will avoid it if possible but I am not going to park for a couple hours just so I don't inconvinience other people.

Kona9
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by adam c

It's a major highway, not an express route only for your convenience.

I like how we are on page 3 and nobody has peed a little over "The Deerfoot" or "Deerfoot."

Rat Fink
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Zhariak
04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
I take the left lane down deerfoot at times but I always match the speed of the car in front of me.

I take the left or middle lane so I don't get constantly cut off and brake checked by stupid fuckwads all day.

Even though I am matching speeds while in the left lane, I always have people packing their stupid cars up my ass because they are impatient and "inconvenienced".......even though I am going the same speed as everyone else!! Its the semi factor....as soon as a semi is in front of you, some of you have to put on your cunt hats. Maybe they see the safe following distance in front of me and figure I should floor it, close up the gap, and drive like most retards on the road these days? :dunno:

And wide loads rarely take the center lane. They either take the left or right lane so they only need to really focus on one side of their truck. Since sitting in the far right usually gets you cut off by every asshole that crawls out from under their rocks....you guessed it! wide load in the hammer lane!

I get paid per mile...not per hour. If the truck isn't rolling I am not getting paid at all. I also only have so many allowable driving hours per day to work with (13/day in Canada and 11/day in the US). There is no way I am taking one for the team and sitting in the far right lane getting hacked off all day. If I did that I'd probably only get something shitty like 10,000 kms in one month.

I feel bad, alot of people have bad stories about truckers. I personally love semi drivers...

They have ALWAYS made room for me when merging, they have always waived me on, always done everything in their power to make my driving experience exceptional. Even on road trips, dealing with Semi's is just a pleasure.

That's why I always make sure if they have to merge, no matter what they always have a spot infront of me.

But I have noticed in the past 2 weeks alot of semi's driving in the fast lane for 30+ minutes when they've had ample oppurtunities to get into the middle lane (they weren't passing anyone), and they just sat there and boxed a large group of cars in.

I'm pretty sure they were all local transportation companies though (inside the city).

luv2ride_bikes
04-30-2009, 07:47 AM

I feel bad, alot of people have bad stories about truckers. I personally love semi drivers...

They have ALWAYS made room for me when merging, they have always waived me on, always done everything in their power to make my driving experience exceptional. Even on road trips, dealing with Semi's is just a pleasure.

That's why I always make sure if they have to merge, no matter what they always have a spot infront of me.

But I have noticed in the past 2 weeks alot of semi's driving in the fast lane for 30+ minutes when they've had ample oppurtunities to get into the middle lane (they weren't passing anyone), and they just sat there and boxed a large group of cars in.

I'm pretty sure they were all local transportation companies though (inside the city).
I wonder if some of these truckers are just doing it to piss off the other drivers.

the other thing i hate is when a semi decides to get in the left lane to pass someone, but they do it at the start of a hill. Then they end up going slower than the right lane. then you end up with a lot of pissed off drivers behind who speed like hell to get a head of the semi.

Rat Fink
04-30-2009, 11:06 PM

johnboy27
05-01-2009, 06:54 AM
The semis aren't always trying to pass when coming to a hill. A lot of times they are just trying to maintain whatever momemtum they have going to the hill. I cant even count how many times I've had to slow down for some car that's off in daydream land while going uphill. It kills all my momentum to the point I'm crawling up the damn thing.....then, the friggin jerk in the car wakes up and comes back to reality and easily gets back upto the speed limit while every semi in the right lane is fucked.
Yeah , what you said. I fucking hate the people who are in Lala land while driving down the highway and as soon as you pull out to pass they realize they are only doing 100 and then go right up to 110 and leave you sitting in the passing lane with no possible chance to pass.

schurchill39
05-01-2009, 09:39 AM
You can really tell that all the people who bitch and moan about semis have zero experience with them. By that I mean that the everyday driver takes the their ability to drive for granted.

Us truckers have alot more on our minds then getting home to catch the last 10 minutes of sports net. We are hauling thousands of lbs of equipment/material/what ever in a humongous truck. There are a million things we are watching for and dealing with that the average driver probably never thinks of on their regular commute.

Like Ratfink and Johnboy said we drive the way we do for a reason. Lane position, stopping space, speeds etc are all things we are dealing with to ensure the safety of ourselves as well as everyone else around us. That being said we also need to consider the economical factor too. Ratfink said it best, if we aren't rolling we aren't making any money and whatever we are hauling isn't being used for what it is needed for.

Here are a couple "why we do what we do" 's just because I am bored:
- I'm sure you've probably pulled up to a light and have seen a semi slowwwwly crawling up to it leaving tons of room in front of him. Or a semi slowing down well before the light turns red. You might be tempted to pull infront of him and take up that space but we do that because its not easy to bring this big heavy truck to a stop. Its not like we are driving a car, we have alot of momentum behind us and if you take that space away your putting yourself in danger.
This is also why we creep up to lights because as hard as it is to stop its also hard to get going again. Accelerating from rolling is alot quicker then if we came to a complete stop.
-Lane position, Ratfink and johnboy explained this one great.
-Loads: We are required by law to have our loads secure. Essentially you should be able to take the truck, flip it upside down, and nothing should fall off (as its been explained to me). Anything less then this (im sure with a few exceptions) is illegal. Lots of people neglect this due to hastle etc but its a safety issue. If you see an unsecured load get the fuck away from it! If its a major safety issue make a phone call...
-General behavior. We are physically higher up and probably much more away of our surroundings then you or the 28,000 other soccer moms on the road. We can see things before you can and start to react sooner or deal with them sooner. If we start slowing down in the middle of a highway chances are somethings going on up ahead, dont speed up to cut in front of me then slam on your brakes when you see the po po and ambulances ahead.

Sorry to ramble but peoples ignorance when it comes to their own safety erkks me. I was there too before I started to drive truck but since then I've have a whole new appreciation for truckers. Just like everywhere else in life there are going to be giant douche bag truckers like the guy in the OP's case and I know those cunts are the ones who give the rest of us a bad name...

Sorry for the long post, exams are done and work hasn't started yet. Im bored out of my fucking treeeeee:banghead: