PDA

View Full Version : Nausea during workouts?

JNeil
04-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey guys,

So I started working out regularly about 8 months ago and started "Built for Show" about 3 months ago.

Ever since I started working out I have been getting nauseated during my workouts, I like to keep rest periods down to 30-60 seconds but sometimes I have to take up to 5 minutes to avoid throwing up.

I haven't got sick at the gym yet which is good, but I have a couple times after the gym. I am guessing its exhaustion related but I figured that it would go away after a couple weeks of exercising.

Is there something I can do to get this to stop?

P.S. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor as soon as I'm done exams but if this is something common I'd rather save the gas.

GQBalla
04-23-2009, 06:46 PM
are you pushing a big amount of weight?

like setting PB's kind of weight?

are you taking supplements just before working out? NO Xplode maybe?

for me when i push to much weight, right after ill just be dazed and my hearing goes weird but ive never felt like throwing up.

JNeil
04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Well I'm not going easy with the weights by any means but I'm doing reasonable sets (usually 4 sets of 4 give or take).

And yea I'm taking naNO vapor usually 15 minutes before I get to the gym, I guess that might have something to do with it.
I thought it was the fact that i wasn't eating before working out, but I had a 12" sub about an hour before I went today and had the same problem.

buh_buh
04-23-2009, 08:26 PM
you don't want to eat right before you workout. You probably want to eat at least an hour before. But I was thinking it had to do with your eating before I even read that post. Try eating an hour or two before you hit the gym.

Pre-workout supps on an empty stomach then going hard will definitely give you nausea.

GQBalla
04-23-2009, 08:27 PM
yeah you should eat before a work out.

i like to eat 1.5 to 2 hours before a work out.

lay off the nano vapour,

roopi
04-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by JNeil
And yea I'm taking naNO vapor usually 15 minutes before I get to the gym, I guess that might have something to do with it.

I tried Cytogainer for a few weeks and it made me nauseous. I didn't suspect it was the cause until I finished taking it and 2 days later I was fine. It's too bad because the stuff seemed to be working quite well.

ZorroAMG
04-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Eating RIGHT before a workout does nothing....makes you sluggish if anything...you need at least an hour and a half to digest the nutrients/protein to benefit from them. This may be why you are having issues...sorta like not swimming right after you eat effect...

I felt light headed and hammered after workouts doing the BFS program too...love it...I was the only guy in my gym that looked like he was actually working. Feels great but you might be over the top with the sick feeling.

Stupid rotator cuff sidelining me for a bit :(

JNeil
04-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Yea I'll maybe try going a few times without the vapor, see how that goes.

It works so well though :(

kutt3r
04-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Hmmm I am regularly sick on back and leg days if they are good workouts...

Large muscle groups+increase blood flow to them=less blood to the stomach=sick

Puke in your mouth, swallow, finish your set, repeat...

Kill the vapor, test.
If that doesn't work try eating earlier, if that works consider a digestive enzyme.

Euro838
04-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I find it also depends on what you eat before. I noticed I might get a feeling of nausea if I have something with a long lingering taste or something heavier that doesn't pass through your system as fast.

I'd suggest plain, unprocessed types of food before a workout and also go with what everyone else has said and FINISH eating at least 1.5 hour prior to a workout.

Otherwise, during the workout just slow down your sets until the feeling passes.

core_upt
04-24-2009, 09:54 AM
weird question. What do you use for your water bottle?
I used to use a standard squirt-type water bottle and had a similar problem. I'd push heavyish weight, rest and drink water and by my third exercise feel sick.

Switched to a regular Dasani bottle or whatever, with a wider opening and sipping water, and I felt totally better.

Maybe something to do with extra air being ingested?? I don't know?

It's a weird solution, but it worked for me.

Anyone else yawn a lot at the gym? I don't do well with recycled air, but I'm constantly yawning in my workout.

.civictyper.
04-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Vapor on empty stomach = :barf:
Eat well throughout the day, don't skip your breakfast.
Eat 60-90 mins before your workout.. keep your meal fairly small.
Keep hydrated all day long.
If you actually stick to this I guarantee you won't get nausea at the gym... the supplements and poor eating/drinking habits are what is causing this. No need for the doctor.

pinoyhero
04-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Ever had a coach make you run til you puked ... work your ass off and you'll get there again.

During certain crossfit WODs I ensure there's a gcan or bucket nearby.