PDA

View Full Version : Should I take my BMW to Future Shop?

colt22
04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
How bad of an idea is it to take me e36 to futureshop for headunit/ipod/sub/amp/wiring install?

I've heard my fair share of bad things but my friend who works there can get me a discount. IS it worth it or will they hack my e36's panels to pieces?

G-ZUS
04-24-2009, 11:16 AM
They will hack your stuff to pieces, then when something goes wrong a couple days later, they will say it has nothing to do with their install. I wouldn't even trust them with a pos $500 car

Pahnda
04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
How true... They cut a hole in my friend's dash to route a wire only to realize they can route it along existing wires... :facepalm:

Then they wouldn't pay for the repairs to his dash.

colt22
04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
They will hack your stuff to pieces, then when something goes wrong a couple days later, they will say it has nothing to do with their install. I wouldn't even trust them with a pos $500 car

ya screw that

where should I take my bmw? I dont want retards who have no idea how to remove e36's fidgety and fragile panels properly working on my car because only my old 92 e36 every panel was just royally messed up, on my new 328is everything is pristine, so I plan to keep it that way.

Are there any shops tailored to bmw that will do this right?

realazy
04-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Stereo installs usually aren't that difficult. Get some proper panel removal tools and do it yourself.

You are the only person that will care about your car as much as you do.

nadroj23
04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND GETTING WORK DONE AT FUTURESHOP

I got a Compustar 2way pager alarm/started installed on my RSX. They fucked up all the wiring, put the module behind my gauge cluster, but forgot to ground the wires or some shit. Blew my high beams, fuses, created a fire behind my gauge cluster.

All in all I had to take my car to Acura to get the wiring fixed. It was just the cost of labour the the price of high beam blubs, which was a total for almost $1000. Futureshop ended up paying for everything that was done at Acura but the hassel of it all was not worth it. I am taking my next car someplace else.

The only reason I got the work done at futureshop in the first place was because my bro worked there and got me a good deal. But again the deal I got wasnt worth the hassel it put me through dealing with Futureshop after the fact and having my car in the shop for an extra day to fix all the fuck ups futureshop caused.

ruffryder
04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
i work at visions westhills in car audio.. we're doing an 01 X5 and an 2005 M3 right now.. come by and ill hook u up with a better discount than your buddy at FS..

PM me for details bro.

:thumbsup:

rage2
04-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Send a PM to jza71, he's done the install on my E55, M3, GTI, and Yaris. Awesome work.

deefud
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ruffryder
i work at visions westhills in car audio.. we're doing an 01 X5 and an 2005 M3 right now.. come by and ill hook u up with a better discount than your buddy at FS..

PM me for details bro.

:thumbsup:
If you live in the northwest, I work at the Visions in crowfoot. Either one of us can hook you up.

Graham_A_M
04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
If you live in the NE, go here, Ringos a great guy and does awesome work.

I've went to him for quite a few alarm and deck installs, and I'm consistantly impressed by his work.

Dope Dealer
04-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Send a PM to jza71, he's done the install on my E55, M3, GTI, and Yaris. Awesome work.

jza71 had done my car as well, after Rage2 recommended him. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

///LOUD LOAD\\\
04-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I've went to him for quite a few alarm and deck installs, and I'm consistantly impressed by his work.

x2 i will vouch for Ringo. But if it must be a box store Visions is the best place to go for sure.

jay.low
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM
DIY! It's not that hard. A friend and I did an amp/speaker install in my e36.

dj_rice
04-25-2009, 11:22 AM

I assume your referring to Grand Car and Audio?

But yes OP, do not take it to Futureshop, I had the NE Futureshop install a amp/sub in my car, the installer kept on blowing up my amp for some reason, luckily the place I bought the amp had a "if its installed by a certified audio shop we'll give u a new amp if it breaks sorta deal*, so finally I told the installer to forget it, I'll install it myself, find out, he didnt ground it and wired it opposite, connecting - to + and vice versa :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

black13
04-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Yea Futureshop fucked the alarm install on my last car. Fuck that place, they got teenagers working in the back.

beyond_ban
04-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by black13
Yea Futureshop fucked the alarm install on my last car. Fuck that place, they got teenagers working in the back.

Quoted for ignorance.

Graham_A_M
04-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I assume your referring to Grand Car and Audio?

Yessir. :thumbsup:

chkolny541
04-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by colt22

lol
this is almost sig worthy

pinoyhero
04-26-2009, 08:08 AM
^LOL, nice

Graham_A_M
04-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

lol
this is almost sig worthy
yeah, its kids like this person make me want to sell my car and buy something non-bmw. :nut:

soupey
04-26-2009, 10:35 AM
it reaaaaaaaally depends on the installer they have at each individual location, some are better, some are worse. blackradiation on here used to work at one of the south locations and was a great installer....

dj_rice
04-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by soupey
it reaaaaaaaally depends on the installer they have at each individual location, some are better, some are worse. blackradiation on here used to work at one of the south locations and was a great installer....

Wasn't blackradiation a scammer??I recall him fucking over TomCoPDR

soupey
04-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Wasn't blackradiation a scammer??I recall him fucking over TomCoPDR

shrug, thats news to me if he did, back like 2-3 yrs ago blackradiation helped me out while installing an alarm/starter system in my camry...can't say ive kept in touch since, didnt seem teh type to screw people over tho, he went out of his way to help me out with my own install...and i was just a random beyonder to him...

dj_rice
04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by soupey

shrug, thats news to me if he did, back like 2-3 yrs ago blackradiation helped me out while installing an alarm/starter system in my camry...can't say ive kept in touch since, didnt seem teh type to screw people over tho, he went out of his way to help me out with my own install...and i was just a random beyonder to him...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/218152/scammer-alert-beyond-member-related/

takemtochurch
04-26-2009, 11:23 AM
if you need install pm me. i worked at futureshop for 6 months, and visions for a year installing. i also know the e36 like the back of my hand because i have owned both a 93 325, and currently a 97 m3 and 98 m roadster. just so you know, in order to do ipod the glovebox will need to be removed and a hole will have to be drilled (not a big deal). my prices are 40% off visions. if you need any equipment check out the audio section as i have a HUGE fs thread right now

HuMz
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I had a full install done at FS in shawnessy and they did a perfect job and I know a few other people who've gone through that location and never had a problem.

A head unit is pretty easy to install so I don't see how they could manage to fuck that up.

Weapon_R
04-26-2009, 11:48 AM

What is this mythical creature you call a BMW?

G-ZUS
04-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

It's made of Gold and it sprays water

soupey
04-26-2009, 12:37 PM

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/218152/scammer-alert-beyond-member-related/

yikes, i missed that thread, read thru it, looks like it was prettymuch resolved by the end though, altho there was a bunch've tension in it.

colt22
04-26-2009, 02:23 PM

yeah, its kids like this person make me want to sell my car and buy something non-bmw. :nut:

what are fools talking about.. kids?

the problem with bmw is half the shit is made from these cost cutting plastic clips that are notorious for exploding anytime you take a panel out. This also damages the socket for the clips as well. I am assuming a standard place such as future shop does not realize this. Once the clips are messed the panels never go on right anymore and it looks terrible.

By going to a place that knows bmw's well and works on them often would probably be able to work around the delicate/crappy panels and do the job right.

but yes..sell your bmw for this reason

:facepalm:

nonlinear
04-26-2009, 03:15 PM
i got a head unit installed at the northland location in about 2003. they totally fucked up my dash. must have broken some clips inside cause it would never snap back on correctly :guns:

infected
04-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Stay FAR away! It's not worth the headache after.

dj_rice
04-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Its either Alarmtec or NE Visions for me

Graham_A_M
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM

what are fools talking about.. kids?

the problem with bmw is half the shit is made from these cost cutting plastic clips that are notorious for exploding anytime you take a panel out. This also damages the socket for the clips as well. I am assuming a standard place such as future shop does not realize this. Once the clips are messed the panels never go on right anymore and it looks terrible.

By going to a place that knows bmw's well and works on them often would probably be able to work around the delicate/crappy panels and do the job right.

but yes..sell your bmw for this reason

:facepalm:

Originally posted by Weapon_R

^ This

Of all the installs I've done on my various cars, the clips are the last thing I ever worry about. There really isn't a rocket science behind them I've found. ;)

BMW's aren't any different then the wiring of any other car, there typically is just more of it.
The fact you keep on mentioning its a BMW is what I was reffering to.

NoMoreG35
04-26-2009, 07:35 PM

^ This

Of all the installs I've done on my various cars, the clips are the last thing I ever worry about. There really isn't a rocket science behind them I've found. ;)

BMW's aren't any different then the wiring of any other car, there typically is just more of it.
The fact you keep on mentioning its a BMW is what I was reffering to.

Haha true that. :dunno:

colt22
04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
useless posts aside,

Are there any alternatives to having the ipod in the glovebox for the DICE link?
Is there a way to route the wire through the center console to underneath the armrest?

eb0i
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
My vote is for staying the eff away from Futureshop.

I took my install to Audio Concepts, best work I have ever seen. :thumbsup:

5hift
04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by soupey
[B]it reaaaaaaaally depends on the installer they have at each individual location, some are better, some are worse.
:werd:

I got my compustar install at Speedtech thinking it would be better than future shop and the like, and it was quite possibly the shittiest install ever. They ruined my head unit, and when installing the alarm, they managed to somehow fuck up my recently installed sound system by crossing wires. Luckily my car was almost new and still under warrentee, and Acura was nice enough to redo the entire wiring for free.

Speedtech's explaination was the guy who did it (some brown guys whos name I cant remember) was new at it, and apparently thats a reason now.

But yeah for the OP, I'd honestly take the suggestions of a backyard guy with a decent rep as if your paranoid you can even watch him, and he cant just do a shitty job and hide it.

jay.low
04-26-2009, 09:20 PM
useless posts aside,

Are there any alternatives to having the ipod in the glovebox for the DICE link?
Is there a way to route the wire through the center console to underneath the armrest?

You have an arm rest!? (Hooray for my bottom of the rung, totally basic, no frills e36).

It's possible, provide the cable is long enough and you're willing to pull a few panels out. I didn't route the iPod adapter for my Sony HU through the glove box. Mine comes out of the passenger side footwell area. I usually keep my iPod in the sunglass cubby. Glove box is a little on the safer side though because no one will see it through your windows and be tempted to break into your car to steal it.

deefud
05-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by takemtochurch
if you need install pm me. i worked at futureshop for 6 months, and visions for a year installing. i also know the e36 like the back of my hand because i have owned both a 93 325, and currently a 97 m3 and 98 m roadster. just so you know, in order to do ipod the glovebox will need to be removed and a hole will have to be drilled (not a big deal). my prices are 40% off visions. if you need any equipment check out the audio section as i have a HUGE fs thread right now
If you need a reference to the workmanship he does, please PM me.

Spoons
05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I used to work at future shop, I wouldn't personally... I've seen some really shitty work. Depends on what installer you get...

psi_klops
05-05-2009, 12:25 AM
in a word...No!
they had my car in there SEVEN times and messed everything up. It is still not fixed!

Beware, they told me they usually don't like working with BMW's specifically b/c they are more complicated with respect to audio upgrades:dunno:

Kavy
05-05-2009, 02:31 AM
^
The reason behind this is because BMW uses wires weaved together with unicorn hair done by small children raised on stone bread and spring water in a monastery in Germany.

Do not take it to future shop, if the person touching your car doesn't understand the proper way to wear a hat or own a belt for their pants go elsewhere.

Rstar
05-05-2009, 07:54 AM
This sort of reminds me of the guy that was asking what mechanic can service his RHD and can change his JDM oil.