PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Swine Flu Virus

Pages : [1] 2

94boosted
04-24-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't think this a repost of http://forums.beyond.ca/st/254527/canada-issues-mexican-travel-warning/ because that thread deals mostly with the Drug Cartel Wars going on in Mexico.

I'm leaving to Puerto Vallarta Friday May 1st and this virus is scaring me quite a bit. Been hearing alot of conflicting stories on the news and through other people some say don't worry it's not that serious and can be easily treated if detected early. Others are saying cancel your trip and stay home because this could become a Pandemic.

My step mom who is a doctor is saying don't worry about it too much but wash your hands often and limit contact with strangers and perhaps wear a mask on the return flight home just to be safe.

Apparently the virus is some hybrid version of the swine virus but it can be cured with either Tamiflu or Relenza at least if treated soon after symptoms appear according to this ( http://health.yahoo.com/news/ap/med_swine_flu.html ).

Anyone else traveling soon who is concerned?

Trini
04-24-2009, 11:42 PM
some info. from the BBC here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8017585.stm

autumnrain
04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
hey let me know how bad it is down there?
i'm supposed to go for my wedding june 12-19
i hope it gets better by then

94boosted
04-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Trini
some info. from the BBC here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8017585.stm

Thanks Trini

Originally posted by autumnrain
hey let me know how bad it is down there?
i'm supposed to go for my wedding june 12-19
i hope it gets better by then

Will do!

pinoyhero
04-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Let me get this straight, there are now three things to avoid in mexico ...

1. Mexicans as they may be gang members and kill you
2. Food as you may die from eating it.
3. Air as you may die also.

hampstor
04-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Initial reports are most of the people in mexico that have died from this are in their 20's, not the children/elderly as with other flu's... however no one in the US had died yet.

don't bring this shit back with you :eek:

Xtrema
04-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Bring a mask.

BigMass
04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Let me get this straight, there are now three things to avoid in mexico ...

1. Mexicans as they may be gang members and kill you
2. Food as you may die from eating it.
3. Air as you may die also.

I don’t even know where this shit comes from. Mexico has been a preferred vacation destination for me and my family for decades. Usually go down at least once/year and never have had any issues. I wonder if other countries post Canadian travel warnings like “don’t touch beef in Canada or you may get mad cow disease”, “don’t take busses in Canada or you might get beheaded”. Can we just get along with our lives without being afraid of everything?

cgyITguy
04-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I to am going to Mexico from May 1st - 15th in Cancun, I'm thinking I'm not going to worry to much. The main bad shit appears to be happening in Mexico City which is a long ways away. You can't live your life in paranoia, there is air born stuff that can kill you any day any where in the world. Go, have a good time, take regular precautions should be fine

trliniar
04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
they are thinking of updating it to a level 5 which would cause a stop to travel they said.. and level 6 is classified as a pandemic.. so i wouldnt take this so lightly... I believe Air France has stopped flights to Mexico already....

Im sure if we had mad cow disease in calgary where it could be spread from person to person and 70~ people died in calgary everyone would be freaking out as well

hampstor
04-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by trliniar
they are thinking of updating it to a level 5 which would cause a stop to travel they said.. and level 6 is classified as a pandemic.. so i wouldnt take this so lightly... I believe Air France has stopped flights to Mexico already....

Im sure if we had mad cow disease in calgary where it could be spread from person to person and 70~ people died in calgary everyone would be freaking out as well

2 confirmed cases in Kansas, a school in NY has 8 people with an unconfirmed "Type A" strain of the flu with 100 more showing flu like symptoms. However, canada.com says tamiflu has been effective - that's the same stuff they were giving people who were traveling to Asia during the bird flu scare back in 2006

Weapon_R
04-25-2009, 04:41 PM
This is crazy. I am going to Cancun on the 25th. :banghead:

badatusrnames
04-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by cgyITguy
You can't live your life in paranoia, there is air born stuff that can kill you any day any where in the world.

Sure, but:

A) The risk is clearly elevated in this instance from the random chance of catching something else that will kill you.

B) What you do with your life is fine, but when you have a pandemic flu spreading, it's the fact that you could infect others is a problem.

Regardless, it seems confined to Mexico City now, but unless they start restricting travel out of that region on a non-voluntary basis, you'd hope it doesn't start to spread. Mexico City's airport is still open and flights are entering and exiting. It will be interesting to see if they close it within the next few days.

94boosted
04-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I am taking this seriously and I am definately bringing a mask and a bunch of hand sanitizer. There is a group of 10 of us going, and none of us got trip cancellation insurance, so unless it reaches level 5/6 and flights are grounded we are all going.

Its comforting to know that none of the people in the US have died and that Tamiflu appears to be effective against this.

Fuck this couldn't of come at a worse time for me I just graduated from Engineering Today and I am really looking forward to blowing of some steam.

I'm going to keep following this as it unfolds and I will keep everyone posted.

Chris88CL
04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
I would not at ALL be surprised if it were upgraded to 5 or 6. Soon.

Dont believe everything you read in the newspaper or online. The news usually comes late ;)

badatusrnames
04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

I work as a resident doctor in one of the biggest hospitals in Mexico City and sadly, the situation is far from "under control". As a doctor, I realise that the media does not report the truth. Authorities distributed vaccines among all the medical personnel with no results, because two of my partners who worked in this hospital (interns) were killed by this new virus in less than six days even though they were vaccinated as all of us were. The official number of deaths is 20, nevertheless, the true number of victims are more than 200. I understand that we must avoid to panic, but telling the truth it might be better now to prevent and avoid more deaths.
Yeny Gregorio Dávila, Mexico City

D. Dub
04-26-2009, 08:36 AM
What boggles my mind is that travel in and out of there for pleasure is still allowed --- it's going to turn an epidemic into an international pandemic.

:banghead:

crzycroat
04-26-2009, 11:38 AM
They should get all vacationers out of there and quarantine the place off. Even though that would cost a fortune and seems very very unlikely.

crzycroat
04-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Sky News reported that a crew member of British Airways has been taken to hospital with suspected flu symptoms after working a Mexico City to London Heathrow flight.

94boosted
04-26-2009, 12:10 PM
So far no new news except that now there are 20 cases in the states and 6 cases in Canada and everyone has been treated and are fine. Apparently the cases seen in Canada and the US have been mild in comparison to those in Mexico City.

Will probably know more tomorrow once the WHO decides what this thing really is and how severe it is.

I have a friend getting back from Mexico today and two leaving tomorrow and they are going ahead with all of there plans.

PGTze
04-26-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm supposed to go on Tuesday, this sucks balls.

8Ball
04-26-2009, 12:31 PM
quarantined would suck.

trliniar
04-26-2009, 02:43 PM
"Ten New Zealand students from a group which visited Mexico have tested positive for Influenza A, making it "likely" they are infected with swine flu"

two outbreaks in France already

three people in spain, and one in Israel

"Schools, universities and even most bars and restaurants will remain closed for several days and though Sunday church services are going ahead, priests have been asked to give Communion in the hand rather than on the tongue."

"More than 1,300 people have been admitted to hospital with suspected symptoms since 13 April. "

"...tourists to cancel their holidays and Mexican exports are already beginning to be affected."

"Russia has banned imports of raw pork and pork products from Mexico and the US states of California, Texas and Kansas...."

article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8019566.stm

94boosted
04-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by trliniar
"Ten New Zealand students from a group which visited Mexico have tested positive for Influenza A, making it "likely" they are infected with swine flu"

two outbreaks in France already

three people in spain, and one in Israel

"Schools, universities and even most bars and restaurants will remain closed for several days and though Sunday church services are going ahead, priests have been asked to give Communion in the hand rather than on the tongue."

"More than 1,300 people have been admitted to hospital with suspected symptoms since 13 April. "

"...tourists to cancel their holidays and Mexican exports are already beginning to be affected."

"Russia has banned imports of raw pork and pork products from Mexico and the US states of California, Texas and Kansas...."

article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8019566.stm
Same Article:

"There is currently no vaccine for the new strain of flu but severe cases can be treated with antiviral medication. "

It is comforting to hear.

Also I just heard on the BBC just now that the original estimates of 1100 infected in Mexico is not true and that the real number is closer to 350 after screening the patients.

Originally posted by PGTze
I'm supposed to go on Tuesday, this sucks balls.
Please keep me posted on what you decide to do.

gkAeris
04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
There is a group of 10 of us going, and none of us got trip cancellation insurance, so unless it reaches level 5/6 and flights are grounded we are all going.

if you booked with a Visa that has the trip cancellation would you get it back? i'm just curious cos i'm going to my sisters wedding and i used a visa......

hampstor
04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
It's been confirmed in Nova Scotia, confirmed in BC, confirmed in France, Israel, Australia, and possible in the UK. The people who have it in BC did not go to Mexico, but are linked to people who have been to Mexico recently.

Boy is this thing moving fast. Gotta wonder if this is sensationalist media fear mongering or the prelude to a pandemic. Aside from being a hermit, I'm not sure there's much to to do just yet. Fortunately no deaths outside of mexico thus far and the cases in Nova Scotia are mild.

94boosted
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

if you booked with a Visa that has the trip cancellation would you get it back? i'm just curious cos i'm going to my sisters wedding and i used a visa......

I am not sure exactly how this works. When we were buying our pacakges from our Travel Agent she told us that the only way you can get your money back when you have Travel Insurance is if you get sick and have a doctors note or a family death and you have a death cirtificate. So I imagine that Visa's trip cancellation probably works the same way. I will call Visa this week.

If it gets to a Level 5/6 I'd imagine that we will get our money back one way or another. But if it doesn't we are all most likely going to go and just play it safe once there.

PGTze
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM

If it gets to a Level 5/6 I'd imagine that we will get our money back one way or another. But if it doesn't we are all most likely going to go and just play it safe once there.

I'm in the same boat, I'm going unless they close the boarder. I'd highly doubt there would be any sort of refund for any travelers. I mean who would pay for it, the government of Mexico?

The_1
04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
saw on the news that westjet will refund any flights to mexico
air canada will only refund if the flight is to mexico city

KuruptEX
04-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Anyone who's going to mexico please don't come anywhere near me thanks:)

On the serious note I've been reading various articles on global quarantine meaning banning importation of swine(pig) and anyone with a fever like sympton being placed under quarantine

Governments including China, Russia and Taiwan began planning to put anyone with symptoms of the deadly virus under quarantine.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090426/world/swine_flu_world_1

94boosted
04-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by PGTze

I'm in the same boat, I'm going unless they close the boarder. I'd highly doubt there would be any sort of refund for any travelers. I mean who would pay for it, the government of Mexico?

I actually think that Visa would be doing the majority of the refunds because this is a service not rendered, at least that's what alot of people seem to think. Also if the airlines are grounding flights shouldn't they refund the costs of the tickets. :dunno:

94boosted
04-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by The_1
saw on the news that westjet will refund any flights to mexico
air canada will only refund if the flight is to mexico city

From the WestJet Website:

" WestJet issues advisory for guests travelling to and from Mexico.

Following the outbreak of human swine influenza in parts of Mexico, WestJet and WestJet Vacations guests travelling to and from Mexico between now and April 30, 2009, may change or cancel the air portion of their travel arrangements at no charge, and travel at a future date. Guests may contact the WestJet Sales Super Centre at 1-888-WESTJET (937-8538)."

http://c3dsp.westjet.com/guest/webAlert.jsp?i=traveladvisories_guesten

Were leaving May 1st so this doesn't even apply to us, besides were only flying with West Jet there and not using West Jet Vacations for the hotel arrangements or the return flight home.

Supa Dexta
04-27-2009, 05:48 AM
Country list just keeps growing, as to who is canceling flights, and issuing travel warnings.. I wouldnt be heading in that direction ay time soon.. This shit ain't no joke.

civic_stylez
04-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Has anyone heard if there is any advantage to have a flu shot to prevent this? CNN was mentioning something about it but from my understanding this is like a hybrid flu. I didnt get a flu shot this year and im wondering if theres any point. I guess it couldnt hurt:dunno:

Ajay
04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Has anyone heard if there is any advantage to have a flu shot to prevent this? CNN was mentioning something about it but from my understanding this is like a hybrid flu. I didnt get a flu shot this year and im wondering if theres any point. I guess it couldnt hurt:dunno:

I read an article that stated the common flu shot isn't enough for this strain of flu.

I just got back from the Mayan on Saturday and feel fine. A little tired but that's what a week of partying will do to you.

Wildcat
04-27-2009, 10:21 AM
This is how it all starts... first your friend's got a little swine flu, next thing you know you're fending off a zombie horde with a shovel... mark my words.

D. Dub
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
This is how it all starts... first your friend's got a little swine flu, next thing you know you're fending off a zombie horde with a shovel... mark my words.

:rofl:

GQBalla
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
ill bring my ray gun.

PGTze
04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

I read an article that stated the common flu shot isn't enough for this strain of flu.

Everything I've read indicates a flu shot won't help you at all. The only reporting I've seen recommending flu shots is locally, which doesn't seem to make sense.

buh_buh
04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
im supposed to hang out with my old roommate tonight who just got back from Mexico yesterday. When I told him about it he didn't even know what I was talking about. I'm having second thoughts now.

kenny
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
im supposed to hang out with my old roommate tonight who just got back from Mexico yesterday. When I told him about it he didn't even know what I was talking about. I'm having second thoughts now.

Bring a mask:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39196000/jpg/_39196303_mask_103bod_ap.jpg

Wildcat
04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by fmylife.com
Today, I was pulled over by a police officer for speeding. After writing the ticket, he asked me why I was wearing a surgical mask. I told him that swine flu was found in our area and I was scared. He thought that I was insulting him and wrote me another ticket. FML

Pacman
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
You guys worry too much. If it's not "swine flu" it's SARS, African Killer Bees and contaminated chocolate from China.

Don't worry.....God will save our souls.

GQBalla
04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
track it
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&source=embed&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=31.604012,67.5&z=5

roopi
04-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
African Killer Bees

They're still coming!!!

Pacman
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by roopi

They're still coming!!!

Oh god,those aren't Killer Bees,........... they're Locusts!!!

stevieo
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
SoSlowDX is infected, dirty ass vietnamese guy.

Shogged
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
haha this thread has the highest concentration of "omg world is ending quarantine the entire country~*~*~" i've ever seen.

Give it 2 months and people will have completely forgotten

roopi
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
track it
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&source=embed&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=31.604012,67.5&z=5

Asia looks safe. I'm going to HK/China on Friday so I'm good.

kevie88
04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
originally posted by the media:

OMFG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHhhhHHHhH@!#!!!!

kevie88
04-27-2009, 12:50 PM
110,000,000 people in Mexico. MAYBE 300 dead.

I'd say more people are likely to die every day in the americas from car crashes than this flu bug.. :dunno:

Eken9
04-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
110,000,000 people in Mexico. MAYBE 300 dead.

I'd say more people are likely to die every day in the americas from car crashes than this flu bug.. :dunno:

"CNN: We've got another question ... via Twitter this morning. And this is a question, of course, everybody is wanting to know the answer to: "Could this strain get out of control and mutate into something similar to the 1918 pandemic?"

Gupta: Well, when you look at pandemics, they have several different qualities. They're usually a virus or some sort of pathogen the world has never seen before. They cause a lot of death, and they're sustainable in populations. We know that this is a new virus.

It is very hard to figure out just how deadly this is yet. We know that over 100 people have died here in Mexico, but we don't know out of how many people who got sick. There are about 1,300 people who had serious illness, but there may be thousands more who had mild illness who never went to the hospital. So it's hard to tell how lethal this is.

So, you know, on one hand, in 1918, you didn't have global air travel. Nowadays, you do. So this virus can move around the world a lot faster. But right now, it doesn't seem like it's as lethal. You know, it's just early in this whole process to be able to tell"

"CNN: Sanjay, one question that we haven't gotten to ... most of the people who died from swine flu in Mexico were in the prime of their lives really, and this usually hits infants or the elderly. What does that say to you as a doctor?

Gupta: This is interesting. And the same thing happened in sort of a nonintuitive way when we were talking about SARS and when we were talking about avian flu.

Think about it like this: Typically, you think of someone who has a weakened immune system, who's going to be most adversely affected by an infection. Their immune system simply can't fight it.

But in these cases, it's the immune system itself that reacts robustly, and it's the immune system in that reaction to the virus that is causing death in these patients. So the virus starts that cascade, but all that fluid builds up in the lungs, and all those inflammatory cells throughout the body -- that's what's causing the problem. We saw the same thing with SARS and with avian flu as well.

Which is why exactly as you said ... [people in their] 20s and 30s and 40s, this hospital behind me, they say that's been the bulk of their patients with regard to swine flu"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/27...nda/index.html

sabad66
04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I just finished reading this thread while waiting for my doctor's appointment and this lady just walked in saying her son in her car may have this thing :s. Sketchyyyy lol

Beerking
04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
^^^FML, bad time to get back in shape.

On the + side, glad I wend to the MAyan back in MArch.:poosie:

Senseiz
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
http://uashome.alaska.edu/~dfgriffin/website/outbreak2.jpg

Bringing Dustin Hoffman to find the cure!

Trini
04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.who.int/en/

the WHO Director-General has raised the level of influenza pandemic alert from the current phase 3 to phase 4.

Phase 6 is the highest

HeckelZ
04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Im suppose to Leave May 1st for cancun aswell, Not sure on what to do, Went to the walk in clinic today to ask the doctor on the severity of this virus, He didnt seem phased by it.

ChappedLips
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I hope this drops the prices of some trips so I can get a nice vacation for cheap!

The odds of catching this are pretty low I think, if you are going to Mexico city then maybe you can be worried.

The media blows these things out of proportion, a couple hundred deaths in a country of 110 000 million
:dunno:

94boosted
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Ok so here is the scoop I won't tell you guys what you already know (what's on TV and the internet) but what I have heard.

Today me and my girlfriend who is traveling to Mexico with me went to the International Travel Clinic to receive our Flu Shot (yes I know it doesn't protect you from the Swine Flu but it is still recommended to get the shot) and our Hepatitis A shot. And we talked to 2 of the nurses who work there and they said and I quote "the media is blowing this thing way out of proportion" they also said that we should go on with our trip and just take extra precautions once we are there.

Also we spoke with our Travel Agent to see about getting a refund and she basically told us that our chances are slim to none unless they ground all flights in and out of Mexico in which case we have a decent chance at getting our money back. And that apparently even with the SARS outbreak in Toronto a few years back flights weren't being canceled to and from Toronto and Asia so it is doubtful that they will be grounding flights this time.

We then spoke to Visa and they basically said go fuck yourself because your not getting any refunds from us.

So my Paranoia is growing I'm watching CNN, CBC and BBC news channels all day long and trying to figure out what to do. :banghead:

94boosted
04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by HeckelZ
Im suppose to Leave May 1st for cancun aswell, Not sure on what to do, Went to the walk in clinic today to ask the doctor on the severity of this virus, He didnt seem phased by it.

Please keep me posted on what you decide to do and I will do the same.

msommers
04-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

From my understanding of flu shots, they give out different vaccinations each year. Each year, a different strain is determined to be most likely and that is the vaccine given. I'm not sure if getting a shot would be all that helpful.

Supa Dexta
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
The lab in winnipeg is working on a shot that will fight it.. And yes, they just brew up random types of the shot, in hopes it'll fight whatever strain is coming that next yr.

HeckelZ
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM

Please keep me posted on what you decide to do and I will do the same.
Well, it seems like my GF and I will still be heading down at this time unless they put restrictions on flights to mexico. Bought some anti-viral for precautionary measures

HeckelZ
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Ok so here is the scoop I won't tell you guys what you already know (what's on TV and the internet) but what I have heard.

Today me and my girlfriend who is traveling to Mexico with me went to the International Travel Clinic to receive our Flu Shot (yes I know it doesn't protect you from the Swine Flu but it is still recommended to get the shot) and our Hepatitis A shot. And we talked to 2 of the nurses who work there and they said and I quote "the media is blowing this thing way out of proportion" they also said that we should go on with our trip and just take extra precautions once we are there.

Also we spoke with our Travel Agent to see about getting a refund and she basically told us that our chances are slim to none unless they ground all flights in and out of Mexico in which case we have a decent chance at getting our money back. And that apparently even with the SARS outbreak in Toronto a few years back flights weren't being canceled to and from Toronto and Asia so it is doubtful that they will be grounding flights this time.

We then spoke to Visa and they basically said go fuck yourself because your not getting any refunds from us.

So my Paranoia is growing I'm watching CNN, CBC and BBC news channels all day long and trying to figure out what to do. :banghead:
Dont worry man, you're not the only one. Im in the same boat but me and my girlfriend think we will go through with it unless the situation becomes much worse , My parents are acctually in Cancun right now and they said that nothing really wrong there, no masks only at the airport and life is still going on like normal. But im mostly affraid of arriving and then mexico closing the boarders.

littledan
04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
***My Paranoid Opinion***

What's fucked up to me... is that this could be a new worldwide pandemic that kills tonnes of people.

Yet travelers are saying " well since I cant get a refund of my 2 grand, I'll just go and cross my fingers that i don't catch the flu from a dirty pig and fuckin die!"

How much is your life worth to you? 2 grand? I would just write off the 2 grand and call it a day I dont' wanna die!

BTW any doctor will tell you that you don't want to be on anti-viral medication because that shit will mess you up for sure!

msommers
04-27-2009, 09:49 PM
It's very likely we could be due for the next Influenza pandemic. Quite honestly, I see this as a repeat of the SARS incident. That's not a good thing by any stretch, but half the human race isn't going to die from this. **Knock on wood**

cgyITguy
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by littledan

Yet travelers are saying " well since I cant get a refund of my 2 grand, I'll just go and cross my fingers that i don't catch the flu from a dirty pig and fuckin die!"

This is being blown WAY WAY out of proportion, sure people need to be cautious but cancelling a trip to a resort in say Cancun would be way too paranoid. It's just as far from Mexico city as Texas is, I know they have some there to, but is everybody freaking out if they happened to be in the state of Texas ?? No. The flu doesnt give a shit what geographical borders there are, Mexico is a HUGE country.

HeckelZ
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM

What's fucked up to me... is that this could be a new worldwide pandemic that kills tonnes of people.

How much is your life worth to you? 2 grand? I would just write off the 2 grand and call it a day I dont' wanna die!

BTW any doctor will tell you that you don't want to be on anti-viral medication because that shit will mess you up for sure!
haha its not like im going to take it if i dont have any symptoms lol....

rgr
04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey guys, I have a trip booked for Mid-May to LA and Las Vegas. Should there be much problem? I could see LA might be a problem because it's so close to Cali, but any info?

sevewone
04-27-2009, 11:12 PM

lol I think everyones a little paranoid about this. And I dont think all the 2012 negrodamus repeats on History are helping, like damn its on every day it seems :drama::drama: :drama:

hampstor
04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Definately a lot of paranoia at the moment (sensationalism at it's finest in the media) - however when it comes to something that is potentially highly infectious, I would rather health ministries/departments to over-react than under react.

95civicgsr
04-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by sevewone

lol I think everyones a little paranoid about this. And I dont think all the 2012 negrodamus repeats on History are helping, like damn its on every day it seems :drama::drama: :drama:

LOL negrodamus, watching a little too much chappel are we? lmao. my cousins wife is straight outta mexico. she says that her and her family are not worried so neither am i :S

yue
04-27-2009, 11:31 PM
i think south park needs to re-dub that episode about s.a.r.s and replace it with swine flu or man-bear-pig flu.

fuck the flu shot. sprite and chicken soup ftw!

94boosted
04-27-2009, 11:48 PM

Well, it seems like my GF and I will still be heading down at this time unless they put restrictions on flights to mexico. Bought some anti-viral for precautionary measures
What sort of anti-viral are you bringing because I know that Tamiflu and Relenza are prescription only drugs and doctors don't just give the stuff out.

I was also thinking of bringing something along those lines and only taking it if I have a fever or any of the other symptoms that they are talking about.

But im mostly affraid of arriving and then mexico closing the boarders.
Also worried about this. What would we do in this situation? Contact the Canadian Embassy perhaps?

Xtrema
04-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by sevewone

lol @ Negrodamus.

KuruptEX
04-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Also worried about this. What would we do in this situation? Contact the Canadian Embassy perhaps? [/B]

If level 5 or 6 breaks out they would most likely quarantine the country meaning NO ONE can enter or leave the country until pandemic(pandemic at level 5 or 6) is over.
so anyone flying out to Mexico hope you guys have a safe trip there and back. My buddy was coming back from Puerto Vallarta with his gf and told me his gf was showing heat rise in the heat cameras and they put her into a ambulance and took her to a special facility. i don't know how much of this is true

KuruptEX
04-28-2009, 12:22 AM

What sort of anti-viral are you bringing because I know that Tamiflu and Relenza are prescription only drugs and doctors don't just give the stuff out.

Don't take tamiflu i found this interesting article
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1601062,00.html

94boosted
04-28-2009, 12:24 AM
^ In the event of them quarantining the whole country what would happen to the hundreds if not thousands of Canadian Citizens that would be stuck in the country? Send them on the street? Or would the embassy organize something to take care of the people?

PGTze
04-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Fuck I'm supposed to take off in 6.5 hours, seems like this will be a game time decision at the airport.

On one side of the argument, a bunch of people died in Mexico city, and not even that many people when you consider the size of the city. No one has come close to dieing anywhere else, and come on it's Mexico city, people die there every day, it's a city riddled with poverty.

On the other hand is 'risking your life' really worth a couple grand.

I will probably get on that plane, at least if I die I will die having a good time ha.

PGTze
04-28-2009, 12:28 AM
^ In the event of them quarantining the whole country what would happen to the hundreds if not thousands of Canadian Citizens that would be stuck in the country? Send them on the street? Or would the embassy organize something to take care of the people?

I'm sure they would quarantine people at their resorts. Where the hell else would they put them? It's not like they need to make room for incoming guests.

KuruptEX
04-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Most likely where u stay, as far as i believe correct me if im wrong, but quarantine is put in place until there's a vaccine they can then take you to a tent give u a vaccine board u on a plane come to Canada check in with a quarantine officer (kinda like a parole officer check in once a month for a couple of months) and your good to go.

or you can stay in the country for months until your symptoms die down get transported to a Canadian hospital until your given a green light.

Under the Quarantine Act, all travellers must submit to screening and if they believe they might have come into contact with communicable disease or vectors, they must disclose their whereabouts to a Border Services Officer. If the officer has reasonable grounds that the traveller is or might have been infected with a communicable disease or refused to provider answers, a quarantine officer (QO) must be called and the person is to be isolated. If a person refused to be isolated, any peace officer may arrest without warrant.

chkolny541
04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
The death toll from a swine flu outbreak in Mexico has reached 149 as health chiefs warn of a looming pandemic.

The World Health Organisation has lifted its pandemic alert from phase 3 to phase 4, indicating the risk of a deadly global outbreak.

No one has died from the swine flu outside Mexico but it has infected more than 50 people in the US, six in Canada and two in Scotland and one in Spain.

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Swine-flu-death-toll-rises-865642544.html

dont be bringing this shit back, all it takes is one dickhole who chooses against travel advisories to screw over a whole country.

but besides that, good luck! hopefully you dont get boned with a quarantine

Supa Dexta
04-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by rgr
Hey guys, I have a trip booked for Mid-May to LA and Las Vegas. Should there be much problem? I could see LA might be a problem because it's so close to Cali, but any info?

Well LA is full of mexicans.

Magia
04-28-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm supposed to fly to Puerto Vallarta on Saturday but I'm not taking the risk! They've shut down all the schools until May 5th and are thinking of banning all night clubs and restaurants if things get any worse... that doesn't sound like a good vacation!

Thankfully Transat Holidays is allowing us to change our dates and location at no cost. Not buying insurance and still being covered ftw!

94boosted
04-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Swine-flu-death-toll-rises-865642544.html

dont be bringing this shit back, all it takes is one dickhole who chooses against travel advisories to screw over a whole country.

but besides that, good luck! hopefully you dont get boned with a quarantine

I guess it's too late for that now, because there are already 2 cases in Alberta. One in Calgary and one in Northern Alberta :eek:

chkolny541
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM

I guess it's too late for that now, because there are already 2 cases in Alberta. One in Calgary and one in Northern Alberta :eek:

:facepalm: i wonder what beyond members they are

R-Audi
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I was in PV from March 24-April 7th, and didnt notice a thing down there.. My parents are there currently and are coming back on saturday. All they have noticed is some schools being closed for disinfecting, and the odd person wearing a mask.

Think about it like this (and mentioned above) Only 160ish people have died in Mexico City from this.. how many people live there? like 10 million? Think about those ratios... also it was written somewhere else that more people in Canada die from the normal flu every year then Swine flu so far....

Go to PV and enjoy your vacation... just make sure to wash your hands everywhere and you will be fine.

94boosted
04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I was in PV from March 24-April 7th, and didnt notice a thing down there.. My parents are there currently and are coming back on saturday. All they have noticed is some schools being closed for disinfecting, and the odd person wearing a mask.

Think about it like this (and mentioned above) Only 160ish people have died in Mexico City from this.. how many people live there? like 10 million? Think about those ratios... also it was written somewhere else that more people in Canada die from the normal flu every year then Swine flu so far....

Go to PV and enjoy your vacation... just make sure to wash your hands everywhere and you will be fine.

I believe Mexico City has over 20 million inhabitants, and also only 26 of the 152 deaths have been confirmed to be swine flu. Those ratios make this thing seem even less significant however I am still a little worried, but I will be going and I will be enjoying my vacation.

R-Audi
04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Where are you staying?
Im guessing an all inclusive.. if you are looking for any suggestions for outside restaurants lemme know!

kaput
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM

94boosted
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
We are staying at the Palladium Vallarta about 45 minutes North of Puerto Vallarta a 4.5 Star All Inclusive Resort.

We actually had our Travel Agent at Flight Centre build us a package from scratch:

Flight There: Westjet Leaving Friday May 1
Hotel: Booked Through Sunwing Vacations
Return Flight: Continental Airlines Leaving Saturday May 9th with a stopover in Houston Texas

Doing it this way saved us alot of money.

So were not affected by http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/625739 but if our travel agent at Flight Centre with who we are meeting today would be willing to change our Destination to anywhere else we would most likely take the offer like Air Transat and Sunquest are doing which I think is a great idea.

R-Audi thanks for the Restaurants offer but at this point I think we are more than likely going to be staying at the resort and just eating at the Buffet/Restaurants there I here that the food is really good there anyways.

cgyITguy
04-28-2009, 02:59 PM
All Air-transat flights have been suspended to Mexico and most other tour operators probably won't be far behind

HeckelZ
04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I believe all flights have been cancelled to mexico

beyondpinoy
04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090424/swine_flu_090424?hub=MSNHome

good article in regards to the swine flu

doesn't seem as bad as everyone is making it out to be

01RedDX
04-28-2009, 08:06 PM

94boosted
04-29-2009, 12:44 AM
I believe all flights have been cancelled to mexico

That's not completely true. Westjet isn't canceling flights until Monday May 4th so our May 1st flight is still on schedule.

And Continental with whom we are returning said on the phone "they don't cancel flights because of a flu they keep running there flights unless the government closes the borders" so therefore our May 9th flight home is confirmed.

civic_stylez
04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I bought my value pack of purell at wal mart... i refuse to live in fear because if swine flu isnt going to kill you these days, there are 10 million other things that will.

Purell FTW.

94boosted
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Another update:

As of right now everything is still on schedule for our flight there, the resort and the flight back and our group is still planning on going

KuruptEX
04-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Swine flu bumped up to level 5 this isn't good at all

8Ball
04-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by KuruptEX

If level 5 or 6 breaks out they would most likely quarantine the country meaning NO ONE can enter or leave the country until pandemic(pandemic at level 5 or 6) is over.
so anyone flying out to Mexico hope you guys have a safe trip there and back. My buddy was coming back from Puerto Vallarta with his gf and told me his gf was showing heat rise in the heat cameras and they put her into a ambulance and took her to a special facility. i don't know how much of this is true

:rofl: :rofl: