PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for first car for a spoiled kid?

slinkie
04-25-2009, 03:05 PM
hi, first post here.
I am graduating high school this year and will be going to UBC in Vancouver in the fall. I have pretty much zero experience actually working on cars. I am looking for a reliable daily car but with a bit of power and style too.
I am trying to avoid becoming too much of a ricer LOL.

Any suggestions for models that meet this criteria?

-I am not really into a JDM car unless it's already inspected.

-My dad died and left me a bit of cash so I'm trying to figure out a sensible amount to spend on a car. Part of me wants to like buy a Ferrari flat out of course LOL. I was thinking a sensible budget was $10-15k.

-Yes I can drive manual lol.

-This car will see a lot of rain, etc. being in Vancouver. So not too much snow if any (almost all my driving will be on major roads)

-I will be doing a fair amount of 'highway driving'. I will be driving between Van and Calgary often

-I do not really want a 2-seater (can get inconvenient.)

I like RX7s but heard the rotary can get unreliable.
From browsing this board I get the impression Supras are fun but finnicky as shit.
Integras look good.
Everyone and their dog seems to have a 240, although a lot on this forum look really great!
No hatchback civics.

So short version : what is a good reliable car for a spoiled ricer-in-training lol.

whiskas
04-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Get a 4 door civic and blow the rest of your budget on fart cans and JDM radiator caps... overnighted from Japan.

slinkie
04-25-2009, 03:12 PM
hmm, do you think i'll have money left over for bubbly purple tint and huge stickers?

R154
04-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Well. from your general candor and the feeling I got from your post, I sure hope you arent buying a car to replace who you lost. I am very sorry, and I hope you are healing.

As for what car you want to purchase as a "spoiled ricer in training" this forum is highly geared towards imports and euro's.

What are you tastes like... do you have a certain body style in mind like a sedan? coupe? SUV?

Supras are NOT finicky, they just need to be cared for, as for their motor and tranny. are super built proof. Guys are makign 600HP on stock block daily driven. Again these cars are maintained.

You have to think about insurance, and mod fund (if you want to modify it).

Modifying a car is more then a hobby, it becomes a lifestyle. Waiting on parts, learning to do it, maintainence, driving. It is all encompassing.

If you just want a head turner, go look at some euro's. An entry level bimmer like a 3 series, or a entry level mercedes C class seems to be the cats ass now.

As for an import, if I were to buy a new car to modify it would be a supra. Second choice a lexus is300 and third choice an s14 240. fourth and fifth would be a volkswagen corrado, and a b5 audi a4 2001.5.

mo_money2supe
04-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Lol at first reply.

If you think Integras look good, you might as well spend your money on one. You can pick up a decent late-model GSR for the price and have a few dollars to spare on suspension/rims, proper tinting, and whatever else to help you get started on your ricing of the vehicle. Try to keep it clean though. :thumbsup: Another good option if you're into Euro are GTIs (or GLIs if you don't like hatches). Either can be had for your price range. If you want newer, RSX's or Mazda 3s work well for a newbie as well.

EDIT: In any case, even if you were to choose something else, I would highly recommend a FWD vehicle solely because you're not experienced as a driver yet and going back and forth through the mountains could be treacherous for you in a RWD.

slinkie
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
to r154
nothing like that haha.

Supra is looking so nice but they're really pricy, especially LHD. Insurance, etc is pretty much no issue. But I also have never really worked on a car before...I wouldn't want to learn on a Supra, especially my own LOL. Also it will be kept in a condo parking garage so I won't really be able to just tinker with it on weekends. Also I don't really know anyone into cars in van.

badatusrnames
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
A newer Integra? Id est, an RSX?

slinkie
04-25-2009, 03:20 PM
RSX is so hotttt . Forgot about that one.

slinkie
04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
And yeah I have pretty limited driving experience. Everyone thinks they're a great driver but I realize my inexperience. I will keep the FWD suggestion strongly in mind.

Also my gf has an 08 is250 and it is pretty sweet. Aren't those only AWD or RWD though?

jsn
04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
get an impreza. AWD is nice:)

slinkie
04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
i love the new sti hatchback. I am really trying to curb my spending though. I am bad for not following budgets I set

suen17
04-25-2009, 03:25 PM
If you're going back and forth between UBC and Calgary in the winter, the passes through the mountains can get really treacherous at times. Even if it's a "major road" you will see snow, and sometimes lots of it. Just something to keep in mind.

jsn
04-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
i love the new sti hatchback. I am really trying to curb my spending though. I am bad for not following budgets I set

I'm not suggesting an STI. Just get a normal impreza. Still fairly quick/ fun to drive.

Idratherbsidewayz
04-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by jsn

Werd, I moved from a 240 to a WRX and couldn't be happier. Its powerful enough, super fun to drive, and easy in the winter. Its within your budget and has a large aftermarket following.

Zigo
04-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by R154
Well. from your general candor and the feeling I got from your post, I sure hope you arent buying a car to replace who you lost. I am very sorry, and I hope you are healing.

As for what car you want to purchase as a "spoiled ricer in training" this forum is highly geared towards imports and euro's.

What are you tastes like... do you have a certain body style in mind like a sedan? coupe? SUV?

Supras are NOT finicky, they just need to be cared for, as for their motor and tranny. are super built proof. Guys are makign 600HP on stock block daily driven. Again these cars are maintained.

You have to think about insurance, and mod fund (if you want to modify it).

Modifying a car is more then a hobby, it becomes a lifestyle. Waiting on parts, learning to do it, maintainence, driving. It is all encompassing.

If you just want a head turner, go look at some euro's. An entry level bimmer like a 3 series, or a entry level mercedes C class seems to be the cats ass now.

As for an import, if I were to buy a new car to modify it would be a supra. Second choice a lexus is300 and third choice an s14 240. fourth and fifth would be a volkswagen corrado, and a b5 audi a4 2001.5.

Just a quick question, Looked at many supra's and all those JDM cars. Many come with turbos already. I have some mechanical experience. Is a car with a turbo a whole new ball game?

slinkie
04-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by suen17
If you're going back and forth between UBC and Calgary in the winter, the passes through the mountains can get really treacherous at times. Even if it's a "major road" you will see snow, and sometimes lots of it. Just something to keep in mind.

oh yeah.

stupid of me lol.

maxomilll
04-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by jsn

:werd:

i just sold my JDM WRX buut i loved it.
very relible, quick but not crazy fast, AWD handles amazing in all types of weather.
awesome car to up your drivers skill.
and with your buget, you can find a very mint jdm.
or actually even a earlyer 2000's USDM one.
4 door to.

RZRSHARP_SVX
04-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
And yeah I have pretty limited driving experience. Everyone thinks they're a great driver but I realize my inexperience. I will keep the FWD suggestion strongly in mind.

Also my gf has an 08 is250 and it is pretty sweet. Aren't those only AWD or RWD though?

the is250 came is RWD and AWD. all depends on trim level.

psycoticclown
04-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Legacy GT :thumbsup:

Might be a bit out of your price range by about $5k, but fast, practical, reliable, AWD for winter and driving back and forth, pretty luxurious inside and cheap to mod. $2000 will easily easily net you upwards of 300whp and it'll be reliable enough to be a daily driver. Only con is the price and well... they look like an old man car :dunno:

Impreza is good too, or WRX.

You can get into a new Genesis coupe too for a bit out of your price range, but they're sweet vehicles.

Weapon_R
04-25-2009, 04:06 PM
An RSX is a good, reliable first car.

Rocky
04-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
An RSX is a good, reliable first car.
I'd +1 that.

R154
04-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Zigo

Just a quick question, Looked at many supra's and all those JDM cars. Many come with turbos already. I have some mechanical experience. Is a car with a turbo a whole new ball game?

Completely separate ball game. First off, you need to stay on top of regular maintanence like oil changes (EVERY 3-4K). Filling you car with at minimum 91 octane. Keeping tabs on major things like leaks and burning oil. Especially with supras the motors are bullet proof, as well as the tranny (6-speed getrag) if its a mark 4, mark 3 turbo's are also vastly underestimated, the 1j in it is a SOLID motor, and the r154 (tranny) is also very strong. But again you need to take care of these cars.

Daily driving a supra is a possibility but it is more of a weekend car. Commuting an mk4 is just sillyness.

Turbo cars in general are more definetely more involved. especially older turbo cars. The twin turbo supra came with a fairly solid stock setup and with some decent BPU mods and a tune you can be looking at street beatable 350HP, but like anything power usually means replacement of parts.

I am not saying you have to tear down the car and put it back together. But you do have to be meticulous about the upkeep and your driving habits. Any car no matter how solid it is built will have parts fail if you drive your car like an f1 race god without consideration for maintenance.

I have found that through all my turbo cars, I had to budget 25% more for regular maintenance and fixing random shit that might break, like oil lines, I had to replace my manifold gasket not to long ago. I did the head gasket, rear maint seal. I had to replace my oil pump twice.

If you arent particularly mechanically inclined, or have a steady source of disposible (car) income/fund, then things can add up really quickly and with a turbo car, when any part fails, it is so much more magnified by the fact that a lot of systems like cooling/oiling is much MUCH more important.

Having your turbo's go is kind of an expensive venture no matter what the make/model the car is.

I have found that turbo cars are just so much more exhilirating to drive and work on then NA cars. So its a labour of love for me. It definetely is a lifestyle, it isnt just a hobby, especially if you drive your car a lot, or it is your daily (which I dont suggest). Blowing your motor in your only car when you are working a dead end job just sucks. So be warned.

saiyajin
04-25-2009, 05:12 PM
is300

-4 door for convience
-decent power
-toyota reliability
-looks good (can be subjective but IMO)
-its RWD though so going through the mountains during winter can be either be fun or balls out nuts depending on your abilities hah :poosie:

AE92_TreunoSC
04-25-2009, 05:22 PM
H2

-lots of interior space compared to a rsx
-lots of aftermarket support
-chicks dig it
-famous chevy reliability combined with the utility of a hummer

:love:

R154
04-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah actually just buy a bus pass. I dont want to see you on the news joining your father.

badatusrnames
04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I have found that turbo cars are just so much more exhilirating to drive and work on then NA cars. So its a labour of love for me. It definetely is a lifestyle, it isnt just a hobby, especially if you drive your car a lot, or it is your daily (which I dont suggest). Blowing your motor in your only car when you are working a dead end job just sucks. So be warned.

+1 nothing like that delayed rush that puts you back in the seat and the sound of the turbos spooling. That being said, you have to be very cautious about when and where you decide to drop the hammer, or things can go bad pretty quickly. You have to be a disciplined driver and able to keep yourself in check more than anything - ask yourself how mature of a driver you are.

As far as maintenance goes, I haven't had anything major go wrong with mine, but it's also a matter of preventative and regular maintenance, which I try to keep on top of...

R154
04-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Sometimes you cant prevent failure. I had a t3/t4 grenade. Fuxored my my motor, full bore pull at SS and it popped. my motor was showered in metal and oil. Needless to say I was pissed.

I droped a motor on shagganappi by northland mall a few years ago. It was kind of my fault, I was in a rush to put my head back together, I had adjustable cam gears (READ: Did not torque the sob's) and it just spun on the cam. put some nice dents in my new arias pistons. 1g in head work down the drain.

Other then those two freak incidents I have done replacements proactively.

And you hit the nail on the head, most car owners do their work retroactively, where on a turbo motor you NEED to keep on top of shit.

But I will tell you there is NOTHING in the world that compares to a single/dual turbo(s) spooling, the rev's flying, and the feeling in the pit of your stomach, in your heart, and in your head of pure acceleration. As the back end kicks out you struggle to regain control. Cars around and behind you slamming on their brakes to avoid the scorching that shoots out of your tail pipe as your smile grows from 2-3.

Yeah Turbo cars are the only material good that I couldnt see myself living without. If it were taken away, or I was unable to be a part of I would have little reason to be happy.

Zigo
04-25-2009, 05:59 PM
^
Thanks for the info!

alloroc
04-25-2009, 06:36 PM
You will be going to Vancouver to go to school.

What would your father want you do do. Blow the money or by something practical?

The problem with some of the older sport imports is you have to know your stuff in order to not buy something that is going to grenade on you in four months.

msommers
04-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Aren't there a lot of seat sales from Calgary<->Vancouver? If I were in your shoes, I'd get something to get around in vancouver and just fly to Calgary when I needed to. A girl at work goes often and manages to get some awesome deals at least 50% of the time.

ZorroAMG
04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah actually just buy a bus pass. I dont want to see you on the news joining your father.

Ok, COME ON dude....it's not like every kid with a mildly fast car is going to kill themselves. :facepalm: I drove plenty of fast cars when I was his age and I always used my head...

Graham_A_M
04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Id get a used WRX, or a Cobalt SS... both are great cars and would suit you well.

jdmSiR
04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Stick with Honda, they'll never do you wrong.
Try looking at a dc5 or maybe even an ep3, em1.
Solid cars.

Your commute does suggest a reliable car, and to be honest, when winter dawns I would be scared shitless of a RWD Turbocharged car.

revelations
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
H2

-lots of interior space compared to a rsx
-lots of aftermarket support
-chicks dig it
-famous chevy reliability combined with the utility of a hummer

:love:

To each his own, but "chicks dig it" ? :dunno:

962 kid
04-25-2009, 11:15 PM

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow Fucking loser. Every single person in this thread has driven a car as fast as the ones he's considering and they're all fine. You're a special kind of retard for taking a cheap shot at the expense of another person's dead relative.

Idratherbsidewayz
04-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by jdmSiR
and to be honest, when winter dawns I would be scared shitless of a RWD Turbocharged car.

Pussy... :rofl:

Its really not that bad if you have good tires and know your car well.

Scope951
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
+1 on the dc5.

the RSX would be a very good fit, plenty of pep from the k20 and comfort enough to fit 4 people.

zieg
04-26-2009, 06:26 PM
As someone who has lived in Vancouver for the last 4 years, I can say that you will see snow in it. And in Vancouver, when it snows, the whole freaking city shuts down because nobody out here knows how to drive in snow. You wouldnt believe the accidents I've seen.

Now, the other thing to consider here is the roads. They aren't as good as Calgary's roads. very bumpy, lots of potholes, etc. Driving something with a stiff suspension is probably a bad idea.

I would recommend something like a 3 series or maybe a wrx.

J's_racing
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
+1 for the RSX great cars fun to drive and very reliable

TE4MFaint
04-27-2009, 11:59 AM
WRX.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Subaru-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-2002-W0QQAdIdZ123415356

sputnik
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
A bit of advice from someone who lost their father at a young age (I was 25 and he was 49).

Don't spend your inheritance on a car. Spend it on something lasting (like a house) or save it for when you actually need it. Who knows, perhaps one day you will have a family and you can use the money for your kids wedding or college funds. You can tell them about their grandfather when you need money for them.

A car is a depreciating liability that you will eventually get rid of and you will ultimately regret spending the money in that way.

If anything, lock the money into a 1 year GIC and allow yourself some time before making a rash decision as how to spend it.

5fivespeed
04-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Speaks the truth ^.

Invest, put a down payment on a house or something and buy yourself a Volkswagon (older Jetta?). Car, and house. Not to mention you'll probably get into the Vdub scene.

If not, WRX + winter tires in case. Ftw.

911fever
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
A bit of advice from someone who lost their father at a young age (I was 25 and he was 49).

Don't spend your inheritance on a car. Spend it on something lasting (like a house) or save it for when you actually need it. Who knows, perhaps one day you will have a family and you can use the money for your kids wedding or college funds. You can tell them about their grandfather when you need money for them.

A car is a depreciating liability that you will eventually get rid of and you will ultimately regret spending the money in that way.

If anything, lock the money into a 1 year GIC and allow yourself some time before making a rash decision as how to spend it.

perfect advice.

slinkie
04-29-2009, 08:48 PM

:facepalm: thanks tips.

To the guys telling me to invest, he passed away a couple years ago and after all of it came through to me my investy babe went to work with it.

The interest I have recieved since is partly going towards this car, so I have a decent budget to play around with. Some will be paying for my first year's tuition/books though.

Incidentally the only really large amount I have spent was a down payment on a condo in Vancouver which I am actually sharing with one other person, so it was not a totally rash decision haha.

I am leaning towards RSX or Impreza now?
I am so new to this, I have never bought a car. Would it be better to buy from a dealer - more accountable?

syeve
04-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I am guessing you are 18 or so, I would stick to your budget and buy a car for sure. When I was 18 I loved and needed my car!

I drove an RSX-S for two years (03/04) and I loved that car. Nothing went wrong with it, it was fun to drive. +1 on the DC5. I would personally look for a private sale.

Look for an original owner, older seller and simply have it inspected at Acura (I always went to NW Acura, they were always good to me). You will save on dealer bullshit and GST AND get a car someone loved and took care of VS. some lease back or some beat-to-shit high school kids car.

As far as driving back and forth, as a fairly new driver I would look into a ticket pack of flights, I think westjet still offers them. That is a long, difficult drive, especially in the winter when a storm can come out of nowhere. Good luck and sorry about your dad.

InLoveWitRSX
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
+1 for rsx!!! (obvious bias)

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/InLoveWitRSX/5And4more.jpg

but actually the wrx is pretty sweet to... so thats my 2nd choice.

J's_racing
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm selling a RSX if your interested just PM me
Happy hunting :)