PDA

View Full Version : Junk Faxes VS Spam E-Mail

SinisterProbeGt
10-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Well let me start off by saying my company does both.

I know both are very intrusive and unwanted. But they both get read and thrown away. But the the main thing is they get READ and for my coustomers thats all there asking for, is there message to get out there. Fax advertising has been working for people for years and now e-mail is starting up. I tell you from personal experience that I would rather have a fax then 200 e-mails everyday to surf threw.

tell me what you think?

All i am asking is if you had a chioce but you have to get one what would you Prefer?

ryder_23
10-22-2003, 11:20 AM
fax cause i dont get em :thumbsup:

kevie88
10-22-2003, 11:37 AM
I would never, ever, ever support a company that sends me a junk e-mail or junk fax, Period.

accordboi_02
10-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
I would never, ever, ever support a company that sends me a junk e-mail or junk fax, Period.

:werd:

As soon as I get spammed from a company, I won't ever buy their shit again.

Loose
10-22-2003, 12:00 PM
who do you work for hommie?

SinisterProbeGt
10-22-2003, 12:06 PM
People always say they wont buy from a company that uses fax advertising. But you have gone to the bar right or used rogers cell phones or shaw internet they all use this form of meida
there is no other form of advertising that reaches 25,000 business in calgary for under $1,000 bucks other then fax broadcasting.
.<<<<<<<period

Davetronz
10-22-2003, 01:56 PM
I think the advertising would work better if you got the chick in your sig to hold up an advertising sign.

Akagi Redsuns
10-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Email is just starting up? Huh? I get 400+ spam messages a day on my hotmail account (home account thankfully is clean still).

How do they figure out that fax/email promotions are working. At my job we get stacks of junk faxes that get thrown right into the recycle bin with not one word read. My personal email is the same way, if your email is not in my Address book.....it's off in the trash can and emptied without one glance (the power of filters....oh yeah). I am sure I am not the only one that does this. How do you know if this type of "promotion" is really affective? Feedback from the guys that read the junk and decide to buy? Just wondering......

I do admit to lglancing over flyers that get delivered in the mail. I would look at them more than email or fax junk mail is because they are usually local and it's from department stores and is mini-catalog of sorts, been known to look over the electronics stuff more thorougly.......and almost talk myself into thinking I need some of the stuff :) hahaha. Emails ads seem to be more "scam" type things instead of actually trying to sell a legitimate product...or at least that's they way it was before I found the joy of filters.

kevie88
10-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
People always say they wont buy from a company that uses fax advertising. But you have gone to the bar right or used rogers cell phones or shaw internet

Negative

rage2
10-22-2003, 02:43 PM
My home phone is on a fax list for some stupid reason. My voicemail gets littered daily with "BEEP BEEP BEEP" when I get home.

That's more annoying than getting the faxes.

SinisterProbeGt
10-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
Email is just starting up? Huh? I get 400+ spam messages a day on my hotmail account (home account thankfully is clean still).

How do they figure out that fax/email promotions are working.

Feed back from clients and deletion response

Originally posted by rage2
My home phone is on a fax list for some stupid reason. My voicemail gets littered daily with &quot;BEEP BEEP BEEP&quot; when I get home.
Chances are if you have a number that gets faxed all the time you have a "smart ring number"
Telus is using smart ring numbers still you may have one with out knowing it to stop these call telus and they can remove it from your line . It's a feature that you get standard from telus when you get a res line.

Khyron
10-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Fax spam is 10x worse because YOU are causing the receiver to lose money by paying for your advertising, because HE has to pay for the toner, paper and possibly loss of business when assholes fill up his fax tray.

Flyers or other "advertiser paid" media is fine. But spamming someones CELLPHONE? Making them pay for your advertising? I support fax bombing in those cases.

Honestly - if I was on the jury for someone who shot a spammer, I would not convict. Spammers are the lowest form of bottom feeding vermin.

I've had my email address for over 10 years - never changed. I get over 300 emails a day. I have my own mailserver with spamassassin but 10-20 still get through per day. I'm finally going to have to change my address soon, all from people who want to advertise for free.

Khyron

rage2
10-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Chances are if you have a number that gets faxed all the time you have a &quot;smart ring number&quot;
Telus is using smart ring numbers still you may have one with out knowing it to stop these call telus and they can remove it from your line . It's a feature that you get standard from telus when you get a res line.
It's not a fax ring number. It's my home #. The ring sequence is identical. I know because I get so many calls at 4am, I got super pissed off. So I got his phone number and name from callerID, and looked up his address. I went to his house at 4am and bitched him out for calling my house. He apologized profusely, and said he bought the numbers from multiple lists.

Apparantly, a lot of these fax marketers are work at home guys who buy tons of lists and import 'em into Winfax pro. 8 lines of dialing 24/7.

EG STyLeZ
10-22-2003, 04:37 PM
I don't think that email or fax advertising is an effective method. I never open email spam, and i don't even have a fax machine.

Superesc
10-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Fax is one of the more intrusive media...my parent gets a lot in early morning, and my dad's really piss of about it.

email advertisting is good if its OPTed IN by the user... You think sending out emails to random ppl and they read it and its good??? wrong. By being intrusive you have created a negative image to your brand.

Marketing is not just about being read & seen.. its about creating a postive brand image and being able to get new customers AND retain old customers.

SinisterProbeGt
10-22-2003, 04:45 PM
my company did over 10,400,000 faxes last year alone
a little over half a million is sales
it has to work somewhat for the numbers to be like that
and that was only calgary

Superesc
10-22-2003, 04:51 PM
my company did over 10,400,000 faxes last year alone
a little over half a million is sales
it has to work somewhat for the numbers to be like that
and that was only calgary

Dude, your company should do some User/Market Studies with Forresters ( http://www.forrester.com ), IPSOS ( http://www.ipsos.com ) and other major research company... you will find out its not as simple as that...

ninjak84
10-22-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2
My home phone is on a fax list for some stupid reason. My voicemail gets littered daily with &quot;BEEP BEEP BEEP&quot; when I get home.

That's more annoying than getting the faxes.

Fuck, mine was too. I also was getting calls at 3-4am :banghead:
Any company that sends out faxes, e-mail, or junk mail spam can eat shit in my books.

5.9 R/T
10-22-2003, 05:10 PM
The best is keeping telemarketers on the phone for over an hour, stringing them along, making them think that you will buy their product and then say nope not interrested and ask them to remove you from their calling list. Pisses them off real good! You waste my time, (when i have time) I'll waste yours.

Team_Mclaren
10-22-2003, 07:34 PM
From where I work we get tons of fax-ads daily. No one ever reads them tho, they just get thrown away. plus, the same ad comes up ever two days and they never stops!!!!

Weapon_R
10-22-2003, 07:39 PM
People always say they wont buy from a company that uses fax advertising. But you have gone to the bar right or used rogers cell phones or shaw internet they all use this form of meida
there is no other form of advertising that reaches 25,000 business in calgary for under $1,000 bucks other then fax broadcasting.
.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;period

haha you'd be surprised. It may reach our fax machine, but it doesn't even get READ if the fax is not personalized. It simply gets thrown in the garbage in our office, so maybe your mindset is a little off there.

I mean, how often do you even read spam emails? Same with faxes, its just another piece of scrap paper to use or something to occupy the shredder with.

SinisterProbeGt
10-22-2003, 08:31 PM
hey its just my place of work I dont carry around a SPAM sign all over the place it just they way I make my cash at work.
it cheep its simple and it works.
I dont condone Spam e-mails there crap I delete 200 a day or so and I hate them.
I posted this up to ask a question. My company is looking into Spam E-mails as another meida for our coustomers.
I dont like the Idea so that is the question I pose to you on the open forum.
Email
or
Fax

5.9 R/T
10-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Neither
Tell them to try T.V., radio, or billboard advertising. Much less annoying, and we won't hate them!

Superesc
10-22-2003, 11:23 PM
That's the thing its not SIMPLE. I am not saying email don't work, there are many very effective E-marketing campaigns out there, our company do alot for our clients too but its not as simple as Mass mailing a bunch of unknown ppl about some product / service. In this generation of internet users, its not a simple Shove-down-your-throat marketing, you have built a relationships with your prospects, you have to study your target audience and you have to have to present to them rich content relevant to them.

04blackMAX
10-22-2003, 11:25 PM
yeah man i hate them both, alone with stooooopid threads

:)

SinisterProbeGt
10-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX
alone with stooooopid threads
:)
Thanks for your worthless 2 cents

Any way its not for us to advertise for new coustomers. My company does the junk faxes and is looking to get into mass e-mailing. I think its a dumb idea but I want real feed back b4 my meeting tomorrow.

:dunno:

Superesc
10-22-2003, 11:48 PM
here's a bunch of good documents to read up on e marketing:
http://advantage.msn.com/services/BestPractices_Results.asp

SinisterProbeGt
10-23-2003, 08:37 AM
thax for the linky
btw nice "sig"

sputnik
10-23-2003, 12:17 PM
think it would be hard to find anyone that reads spam... fax or email

Loose
10-23-2003, 01:33 PM
You went to beyond to get advice before a meeting, LOL.

SinisterProbeGt
10-23-2003, 02:02 PM
yup and I made my boss read this post

Super_Geo
10-23-2003, 03:10 PM
I hope your company goes out of business.

Loose
10-23-2003, 04:06 PM
And what did you and your boss learn from this ingenious market research?

SinisterProbeGt
10-23-2003, 04:53 PM
that we should stick to fax advertising

pinoyhero
10-23-2003, 05:59 PM
I prefer niether but since there are so many spam emails out there, I think faxes get noticed most. Emails just get deleted before they are even opened at fear of viruses, but I always glance at faxes junk be fore tossing. Tough on the enivronment though.