PDA

View Full Version : Want To Buy - Digital Audio Converter

em2ab
04-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I need a gadget that will convert a digital optical SPDIF signal to analogue RCA. Getting tired of the shitty sound quality in my car from the RCA ports, want to see if this improves it.

em2ab
04-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Are these rare or something? :dunno:

JoeyJoJoJunior
04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
What are you connecting/trying to accomplish ?

Post a little more info and maybe I can point you in the right direction..

em2ab
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
I have a computer running all the media in my car, I took the headunit out 3 years ago. I'm finally getting kind of annoyed with the quality of the on board audio so I'm looking to make it a bit clearer and deeper by getting the audio stream from the SPDIF connector instead of the RCA jacks. I think it'll eliminate the faint sounds of the hard drive through the speakers as well as make it sound better overall. Therefore I need to take the coaxial digital SPDIF sound from the yellow port on the motherboard and convert it to analogue RCA to send into the amplifier before going out to the speakers.

Alterac
04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
http://sewelldirect.com/GefenTV-Digital-Audio-to-Analog-Adapter.asp

That would work, but it still needs a 5v DC source, so its better off getting a USB soundcard with 5.1 outputs.

em2ab
04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
http://sewelldirect.com/GefenTV-Digital-Audio-to-Analog-Adapter.asp

That would work, but it still needs a 5v DC source, so its better off getting a USB soundcard with 5.1 outputs.
That's exactly it but not sure why it doesn't just take a 9 volt battery. That'd be simpler. I'm going to order a USB sound card but it'll be weeks before it gets here so I'll entertain the idea of a converter until then.

Alterac
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Well you could rig up a 9v battery, run it through dc/dc 5v regulator. (Part# 7805)

Or you could pull 5v off your carputers 5v rail

em2ab
04-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Not a big deal, I could just use a converter from the 12 volt as well. I'd entertain the idea of a pre-amp as well but from what I see online they're about $200. That'd probably solve all my problems though. I don't think I'm sending a strong enough signal into my amplifiers.

punky
04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm using this one, absolutely awsome sounds, high quality components, no problems with -30*C tempeature. Powered off the usb line, only problem is its only stereo not surround, which is sufficient in my opinion
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=eb01&area=

em2ab
04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by punky
I'm using this one, absolutely awsome sounds, high quality components, no problems with -30*C tempeature. Powered off the usb line, only problem is its only stereo not surround, which is sufficient in my opinion
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=eb01&area=
Powered by USB is not an option unless I make some changes to my setup. I only have 4 USB ports available and all of them are currently in use. But 2.1 is all I would need, that's what mp3 are recorded in anyway. I could just switch my 4 channel amp to 2 channel, that's easy.

What I really wish I had is an amplifier that takes a SPDIF input but don't have the money for that right now.

punky
04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
yeah spdif amplifiers cost an arm and a leg, not worth it.
you only have choices of usb or pci for sound card, nothing really, but u can just add a small usb splitter.

nobb
04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Wouldnt it be easier to just add a USB hub to power an external soundcard vs having to rewire and find ways to power a SPDIF to RCA converter? Plus, you might end up having use for the extra USB ports in the future.

punky
04-30-2009, 12:48 PM
:werd:
i'm surprised u survived with 4 usb port, i got like 10 being used on my system right now.

em2ab
04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by punky
:werd:
i'm surprised u survived with 4 usb port, i got like 10 being used on my system right now.
In your car? What kind of power supply are you using? I'm running a M1-ATX and it's only 90 watts, there's not a whole lot of room to move on the 5 volt rail, I don't want to overload it with hubs and set my car on fire.

punky
04-30-2009, 01:57 PM
heh, thats definitely your problem, the m1atx, i'm using a dsatx so i got plenty of juice, but either way, you should have enough current to expand to a few more usb ports, this DAC is highly efficient and low power draw.

em2ab
04-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I want to get the M2-ATX but it's not in the budget unless I can find a cheap one.