PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Warrior

flipstah
04-26-2009, 01:40 AM
I just saw a marathon today on Spike and man, is it soo awesome!

They basically pit two types of warriors together and through testing and stastical data gathering, this computer program tests out who would win in a fit.

They had an Apache against a Gladiator... and a Viking vs. a Samurai.

It's pretty wicked stuff. But Spartan vs. Ninja... :rofl:

You guys should check it out to get a feel of the show.

:clap:

Boat
04-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Haha its one of the more interesting shows to watch on spike TV, although that's not saying much. The computer programmer guy is a douche, but I found it funny how the ninja guys and the spartan guys bicker back and forth about who would win. :rofl:

jsn
04-26-2009, 02:02 AM
^^ i just watched the ninja versus spartan one. I thought it was a retarded show. The comparisons they make are so random and don't make sense. They compared the spartan's spear with a ninja's powder or whatever it is they throw in peoples eyes. How are those two even closely alike? And that ninja guy took it WAY to seriously lol

flipstah
04-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Haha you should've seen the Apache episode. Mr. Apache with the bow and arrow scared me quite a bit with his comments.

Typing it out won't do it justice.

cqad9Joqsfc

Watch the bow and arrow part ~5:16

The Samurai's demonstration of the bow and arrow however... whoa.

GQBalla
04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
lol mr bow and arrow is a little crazy...

flipstah
04-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Boat
...The computer programmer guy is a douche...

zRiZ8xsNG8w

~ 3:30 mark.

You don't heckle a fuckin' samurai. :rofl:

HaganDazs
04-26-2009, 11:45 AM
The ninja vs spartan one was ridiculous. The final results were determined by a computer simulation made by some nerdy programmer...

rockwolf2001
04-26-2009, 02:49 PM
lol its a pretty interesting show when nothing else is on.
definitely worth a watch

ralliart_girl
04-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by HaganDazs
The ninja vs spartan one was ridiculous. The final results were determined by a computer simulation made by some nerdy programmer...

Totally agreed! The ninja would most likely not approach the spartan straight on, they didn't account for that.

Wraith
04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
And I don't care if you're a spartan but glass in your eyes would fuck you up

NRGie
04-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I read that there is a taliban vs. ira episode, and a mafia vs. yakuza one too???

mac_82
04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
The narrator sounds like narrator from 300.

berbatov
04-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I can recognize the 300 narator

HyperZell
04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by berbatov
I can recognize the 300 narator

David Wenham, who also was Farimir in the Lord of the Rings.

hks
04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
hahha, funny how at the end of the spartan vs ninja clip, the japanese dude said something along the lines of, if the ninja were going to lose they would run away, come back at night and kill the spartan while he was sleeping :rofl:

Oldskool
04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
And I don't care if you're a spartan but glass in your eyes would fuck you up

Lol no kidding, the Spartan guy tried to play it off "oh they'd be used to that, they're used to pain"

stevieo
04-26-2009, 04:22 PM
hahaha i just watched it on spike tv

tuesday suppose to have pirates vs knights HAHAHAHA

flipstah
04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool

Lol no kidding, the Spartan guy tried to play it off "oh they'd be used to that, they're used to pain"

Haha I know! That comment made me chuckle. That Spartan vs. Ninja fight was ridiculous because the ninja would've just blowdarted him in the beginning. End of story.

I wanna see the Mafia vs. Yakuza and Green Beret vs Spetznaz.

sexualbanana
04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

I wanna see the Mafia vs. Yakuza and Green Beret vs Spetznaz.

Yeah, but you can probably guess who's going to win the GB vs Spetz ep, though. I cant see how they'd let the Americans lose.

Oldskool
04-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Haha I know! That comment made me chuckle. That Spartan vs. Ninja fight was ridiculous because the ninja would've just blowdarted him in the beginning. End of story.

Truth, they decide on who would win due to their weapons, not their fighting style. A ninja probably wouldn't attack a spartan in mid day, and if he got caught by a single spartan he would've thrown glass in his eye and ran away until he was at an advantage. Like the ninja guy said at the end of the episode "A ninja wouldn't fight this way, he would run away and kill the spartan in his sleep"

This show has to be taken with a grain of salt, but It's bad ass to see some of the traditional weapons and how they're used.

berbatov
04-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I finished watching this biased, ridiculous set of 3 episodes

This show is scientifically weak and people are more attracted and impressed by the 'footage' than by scientifically fact.
Place warriors in categories that would be chronologically accurate : ninja/samurai vs Apache and spartan against gladiator.

flipstah
04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool

Truth, they decide on who would win due to their weapons, not their fighting style. A ninja probably wouldn't attack a spartan in mid day, and if he got caught by a single spartan he would've thrown glass in his eye and ran away until he was at an advantage. Like the ninja guy said at the end of the episode "A ninja wouldn't fight this way, he would run away and kill the spartan in his sleep"

This show has to be taken with a grain of salt, but It's bad ass to see some of the traditional weapons and how they're used.

Oh yeah, for sure you don't watch this show for the end result. I watch it for the demonstrations! :clap:

eb0i
04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
There's something about this show that really annoys me. I don't know if its the dorks/experts or if it is the "talk" of who is the better.

berbatov
04-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Upcoming episode : Caveman vs. sniper

One of the arguments : a gorgeous woman distracts the sniper and in 746 fights caveman clubs him to death.

alloroc
04-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I saw the Ninja vs Spartan one too.

Ninja's weren't really warriors they were assassins.
If a Ninja really was fighting a Spartan face to face like that it would have been because one of his pals was about to kill the roman emperor and they needed a distraction. Silly show but I'll probably watch more episodes.

rockwolf2001
04-26-2009, 06:41 PM
as said before, its just cool to see all the weapons

Redlined_8000
04-26-2009, 06:50 PM
ya the Spartan vs Ninja was disappointing... Spartan vs Gladiator or Viking woulda been something to see, but the ninja was useless lol his weapons did shit against the Spartan. Bad match up :(

Troy
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Very dumb show the match up's are horrible, put any of these warriors in their element and they will win. An apache vs a gladiator? come on

flipstah
04-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Troy
Very dumb show the match up's are horrible, put any of these warriors in their element and they will win. An apache vs a gladiator? come on

Yeah that's why you gotta watch Mafia vs. Yakuza. Pretty even I think :dunno:

5hift
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Obviously this show is more for entertainment than accuracy. As mentioned its pretty cool to see how effective older weapons were, and how tough warriors were compared to today.

I dont know where you guys are getting the ideas for the next one though. At the end of this one there are a preview for the next weeks one and it was a Knight vs a Pirate (yes lol).

NRGie
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/scipio-tex/the-deadliest-warrior-on-spike

alloroc
04-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by NRGie
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/scipio-tex/the-deadliest-warrior-on-spike

The guy that wrote that review is hilarious (and dead on accurate) Too funny.

petoria
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
hahah i was waiting for this thread. sucha an amazingly dumb show. can't wait for yakuza vs. mafia

403Gemini
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I actually enjoy this show - but for what was listed above.

The demonstrations of the weapons are amazing and bad ass to see what those weapons could have done.

The re-enactment makes me laugh... the gladiator pins the apache and punches his face in with the cestus... then stops and starts walking away... When Chuck Liddell used those a few punches broke the ribs on the pig, let alone punching a dudes face into the ground with that (not to mention only ONE punch?!)

I would like to see more similar match ups - like a viking vs a spartan, or a gladiator vs a spartan etc.

The Apache vs the Ninja would have been very interesting.

I can already see the upcoming battle with the Knight vs Pirate, the knight is going to win with the shield alone. The pirate will get 1 shot with his pistol, and the guns in those days were horribly inaccurate at best, and with the kite shield a knight uses, it will just deflect the bullet with ease. The pirates sword will have no effect on the chainmail + plate (chainmail in the weakpoints / joints). If it comes down to ranged combat - the knight can reload his crossbow faster than the pirate can reload his gun (or better yet the knight has a bow), for melee, the swashbuckling pirate will be faster, but less armor and a weaker sword.

Anyway I'll keep watching this show since i love older weaponry.

sexualbanana
05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
yakuza guy got pretty riled up about the nunchuks

yue
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
yakuza vs. mafia

didn't they do that on the simpsons?

"aww marge, that little guy hasn't done anything and when he does you know it's going to be good"

hampstor
05-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I looked up the show on wikipedia, check out some of the upcoming ones:

3.1 Episode 1: Apache vs Gladiator
3.2 Episode 2: Viking vs Samurai
3.3 Episode 3: Spartan vs Ninja
3.4 Episode 4: Pirate vs Knight
3.5 Episode 5: Yakuza vs Mafia
3.6 Episode 6: Green Beret vs Spetsnaz
3.7 Episode 7: Shaolin Monk vs Mâori
3.8 Episode 8: William Wallace vs Shaka Zulu
3.9 Episode 9: IRA vs Taliban

Episode 7 will only rock if they bring in David Carradine (Kwai Chang Caine).

flipstah
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Frick, I missed the Yakuza/Mafia fiasco and that was the episode I totally wanted to see (other than the Spetsnaz/Green Beret showdown.)

UGH! REPLAYS...

403Gemini
05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Frick, I missed the Yakuza/Mafia fiasco and that was the episode I totally wanted to see (other than the Spetsnaz/Green Beret showdown.)

UGH! REPLAYS...

torrents = win

top_speed
05-06-2009, 04:22 PM
i cant wait to see Taliban vs. IRA/

signature7
05-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Yakuza on the show take themselves really serious. At one point the mafia "guy told him to lay off the sake" :rofl:

flipstah
05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Yeah, but you can probably guess who's going to win the GB vs Spetz ep, though. I cant see how they'd let the Americans lose.

Close but no cigar my friend. Spetz barely won but a win's a win.

The Maori/Shaolin Monk was pretty sweet to see because the Maori had a fuckin' Jade club. The Monk was even more determined to kick some ass because after the battle, he could sell that club for a lot of cash. :rofl:

sexualbanana
05-20-2009, 01:57 AM

Close but no cigar my friend. Spetz barely won but a win's a win.

Yeah. Gotta say I was surprised

OCDP
05-20-2009, 01:02 PM
William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu . Should be interesting.

The show really keeps you wondering who they'll put up against eachother next.

hampstor
05-31-2009, 09:20 PM
The battle where the taliban blew up his own guy in the bus so reminded me of this

http://www.jacanaent.com/Photos/DemotivPost/StupidTerrorist.jpg

LUDELVR
05-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Best comment was from the Maori bloke at the end of the show when he kept insisting that because he was so big and that the monks were so little that this was a direct advantage and when he won he was like

"The Shaolin guys...they're little Chinese guys!! The computer's wrong...Computer's probably Chinese too!!"

I thought that was the legendary! That made my night!! :rofl:

Lubu
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I think the episode of IRA vs Taliban is a joke. IRA are excellent model of a perfect terrorist. They had military training, they had cause and as the intro said, they have never been defeated.

The Taliban couldn't defeat the primitive Shaka Zulu with a rocket launcher if their life depended on it.

5hift
06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Lubu
I think the episode of IRA vs Taliban is a joke. IRA are excellent model of a perfect terrorist. They had military training, they had cause and as the intro said, they have never been defeated.

The Taliban couldn't defeat the primitive Shaka Zulu with a rocket launcher if their life depended on it.

The Taliban have military training as well. They have fought the US military for how many years now and still have a strong resistance? They've actually fought the military head on in many fire fights out in the open and are yet to be defeated as well. They are also taking on the Pakistan's military in the swat region, not to mention still fighting all the other countries like Germany and Canada with soldiers there.

This episode was a joke, but it was because it was too pro IRA, that simulation made the Taliban look like fools. Yeah I'm going to chase some guy into a bus when I coulod just shoot him. Then when he locks me in, instead of shooting him through the window I just stand there.

Kritafo
06-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by OCDP
William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu . Should be interesting.

The show really keeps you wondering who they'll put up against eachother next.

I thought this was an excellent episode. The Claymore taking off three heads was pretty intimidating.

alloroc
06-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 5hift

The Taliban have military training as well. They have fought the US military for how many years now and still have a strong resistance? They've actually fought the military head on in many fire fights out in the open and are yet to be defeated as well. They are also taking on the Pakistan's military in the swat region, not to mention still fighting all the other countries like Germany and Canada with soldiers there.

Ya pretty silly.
The Taliban kicked Russia out of Aghganistan - pretty impressive if you ask me.

This episode was a joke, but it was because it was too pro IRA, that simulation made the Taliban look like fools. Yeah I'm going to chase some guy into a bus when I coulod just shoot him. Then when he locks me in, instead of shooting him through the window I just stand there.

Chalk this up to the likes of another Ninja vs Spartan Episode where the Ninja's black eggs didn't do anything (Spartan or not - if you have glass in your eye you aren't opening your eyes.) and then the Ninja had perfect cover to hit the Spartan with a blowdart from concealment - then he rolls out into the middle of the path.

I don't think the 'Computer Wizard' they have is programming any kind of 'ingenuity' into his AI - or maybe he isn't programming AI into the results at all.

hampstor
06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by alloroc

Ya pretty silly.

The taliban lost because they are not effective in a squad on squad battle but effective as a group against conventional forces. I believe this was mentioned at the end of the episode.

I had a chuckle when they pitted the AR15 vs the AK47 for reliability, slapping mud on it and put water down the barrel. No surprise the AR15 jammed !

403Gemini
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM

I get a good laugh out of people who argue this. The "simulation" you are watching is nothing more than a DRAMATIZATION. It's not like they sat around watching 1000 videos of who won, in fact when they put all of the numbers into the computer and process it, it literally takes less than 1 minute for them to have the results.

The "simulation" is for our viewing pleasure, its better than having the computer kid stand up and yell "IRA WON!" at the end :rolleyes:

n1zm0
06-01-2009, 01:23 PM

I don't think the 'Computer Wizard' they have is programming any kind of 'ingenuity' into his AI - or maybe he isn't programming AI into the results at all.

If you know something about the history of the afghanistan area, you'll learn that no one has been able to conquer it's people (land yes but not the inhabitants), even back to Alexander the Great, the taliban's members probably have ancestors that date back to that time, so really the taliban does have a hefty war related history.

The computer can compute as much 'statistics' and scenarios as it wants it won't even be the real thing IMO, for instance, the green berets and spetsnaz, it shoulda been current enrolled soldiers in a paintball match or something lol that would've been fken great!

5hift
06-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

The taliban lost because they are not effective in a squad on squad battle but effective as a group against conventional forces. I believe this was mentioned at the end of the episode.

I had a chuckle when they pitted the AR15 vs the AK47 for reliability, slapping mud on it and put water down the barrel. No surprise the AR15 jammed !

I know that it was mentioned, but I fail to believe that they are not effective in squad battle when in urban warfare, highly trained US commando's cannot gain ground on them without air support in street combat where they are restricted to small arms.

Not as effective as a group against conventional forces? The IRA car bombed and did sneak attacks on British forces in what the late 60's? The taliban are fighting the most powerful military of all time equiped with some crazy technology, using soviet-era relic weapons left behind from when they ran the Russians out, and they still cant be finished off.

And yeah their test for reliability was retarded. But when your continously out in the open in a desert climate where one windstorm can jam your gun, reliability matters.

Originally posted by 403Gemini

I get a good laugh out of people who argue this. The "simulation" you are watching is nothing more than a DRAMATIZATION. It's not like they sat around watching 1000 videos of who won, in fact when they put all of the numbers into the computer and process it, it literally takes less than 1 minute for them to have the results.

Really its a simulation? Oh ok that explains it, I thought they kidnapped IRA and Taliban cells, armed them and then released them in a car junkyard. :rolleyes:

I wasnt arguing over the fact it was simulated, rather they could have done a better job. Both groups rely on urban warfare - why not a battle in the streets of some city?

And simulation or not, they clearly made the Taliban out to look like a bunch of rag heads with machine guns. The part where he killed his own man he visably saw fighting with the IRA guy by shooting the rocket launcher. Or the part where the other guy chases him into a bus, and then just stands looking through the glass, waiting to die, when he could easily shoot? Or how about the begining, where two heavily armed groups run at each other clumped together. I'm no military expert, but when you see an armed enemy, you spread out and get low, not clump together and shoot standing up. Half of them got killed just at the begining.

The show is called Deadliest Warrior, not junkyard squad battle champions. I think its even retarded to try to compare the fighting skills of terrorist cells from different eras when it varied so much between individuals. The show is a cool idea, but they should limit the battle to warriors from the closer eras, or similarily equiped technology wise.

It'd be cool to see a Scythian Horse Archer vs a Mongol Horseman or Gothic Barbarian vs Aztec Soldier kinda thing.

alloroc
06-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Well that's just it isn't it? That is my problem. The dramatizations in a couple of episodes had to be made unrealistic to match the computer simulation. I love the reviews of the weapons and those are almost always bang on. The 'computer simulation' results however are pretty flawed.

I'll still watch it though. It is a pretty cool show.

403Gemini
06-01-2009, 05:02 PM

Well that's just it isn't it? That is my problem. The dramatizations in a couple of episodes had to be made unrealistic to match the computer simulation. I love the reviews of the weapons and those are almost always bang on. The 'computer simulation' results however are pretty flawed.

I'll still watch it though. It is a pretty cool show.

Yeah I can agree with that but you cant say the results were based on what a couple actors did ;)

That being said is I agree some of the dramatizations are retarded... ie the knights morning star hitting a pirate in the face when it was tested it destroyed a skull

hampstor
06-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Not as effective as a group against conventional forces? The IRA car bombed and did sneak attacks on British forces in what the late 60's? The taliban are fighting the most powerful military of all time equiped with some crazy technology, using soviet-era relic weapons left behind from when they ran the Russians out, and they still cant be finished off.

not sure if you mis-read what I wrote... to clarify, I said they ARE effective as a group against conventional forces (though I didn't say who, i meant to say to both the taliban and IRA).

403Gemini
06-02-2009, 12:21 AM

Really its a simulation? Oh ok that explains it, I thought they kidnapped IRA and Taliban cells, armed them and then released them in a car junkyard. :rolleyes:

I wasnt arguing over the fact it was simulated, rather they could have done a better job. Both groups rely on urban warfare - why not a battle in the streets of some city?

And simulation or not, they clearly made the Taliban out to look like a bunch of rag heads with machine guns. The part where he killed his own man he visably saw fighting with the IRA guy by shooting the rocket launcher. Or the part where the other guy chases him into a bus, and then just stands looking through the glass, waiting to die, when he could easily shoot? Or how about the begining, where two heavily armed groups run at each other clumped together. I'm no military expert, but when you see an armed enemy, you spread out and get low, not clump together and shoot standing up. Half of them got killed just at the begining.

The show is called Deadliest Warrior, not junkyard squad battle champions. I think its even retarded to try to compare the fighting skills of terrorist cells from different eras when it varied so much between individuals. The show is a cool idea, but they should limit the battle to warriors from the closer eras, or similarily equiped technology wise.

Lol you missed my point completely. The dramatization at the end has 0 to do with the outcome / statistics they receive, its just for our viewing pleasure. It doesnt matter if a guy saw his buddy and shot his buddy with an RPG in that video, that DIDNT happen in the test the computer ran. It's basically a glorified spreadsheet that just crunches numbers. A guy ran in a bus and he chased him - great, that doesnt mean THATS WHAT HAPPENED. I don't think I can make this much more clear than the whole actors acting, is just that. It is just visual effects for us, nothing more. It has nothing to do with the outcome but rather what a "hypothetical" situation would look like.

Them making the taliban look like losers, well they tend to make the losers of each fight seem like a loser. The knight was clumsy, shaka zulu was just hopping around like a counter strike player, the yakuza came off as a hot headed unskilled guy, etc.

5hift
06-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

not sure if you mis-read what I wrote... to clarify, I said they ARE effective as a group against conventional forces (though I didn't say who, i meant to say to both the taliban and IRA).
I didnt. I know they ARE effective against conventional forces, but to say that, but then say they are not good in group fighting makes no sense. Also you did specficy the Taliban.

Lol you missed my point completely. The dramatization at the end has 0 to do with the outcome / statistics they receive, its just for our viewing pleasure. It doesnt matter if a guy saw his buddy and shot his buddy with an RPG in that video, that DIDNT happen in the test the computer ran. It's basically a glorified spreadsheet that just crunches numbers. A guy ran in a bus and he chased him - great, that doesnt mean THATS WHAT HAPPENED. I don't think I can make this much more clear than the whole actors acting, is just that. It is just visual effects for us, nothing more. It has nothing to do with the outcome but rather what a "hypothetical" situation would look like.

Them making the taliban look like losers, well they tend to make the losers of each fight seem like a loser. The knight was clumsy, shaka zulu was just hopping around like a counter strike player, the yakuza came off as a hot headed unskilled guy, etc.

Once again, I didnt. If the dramatization has zero to do with the computer's printout, are you saying the winner of the print out is not neccesarily the winner of the dramatization?

Fuck your saying I missed what your typing, but I really think its the other way around. I REALIZE that the computer simulation didnt make the guy kill his own side with a rocket launcher. That is the whole point of my argument; they could easily have made the dramatization better/more believable.

I also love your reference to "crunching the numbers". Lol this is the most non-scientific way to address anything. That computer simulation and computer program is about as believable as the dramatization.l

mr2mike
06-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Both the taliban and IRA are successful based on their environment that they're fighting on. In cities are you going to use a rocket launcher? No, it's not accurate. Would you use a nail bomb in the hills or Afghanistan? No, not practical. Doesn't have the range.
Each group has select weapons that work in their environment. There's no way the IRA is going to get their AK-15 all jammed up with mud in Belfast.

The computer program is none other than.... wait for it... Excel. They made an excel sheet, input numbers and get an outcome based on numbers ranked for force, destruction area, etc.

403Gemini
06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Both the taliban and IRA are successful based on their environment that they're fighting on. In cities are you going to use a rocket launcher? No, it's not accurate. Would you use a nail bomb in the hills or Afghanistan? No, not practical. Doesn't have the range.
Each group has select weapons that work in their environment. There's no way the IRA is going to get their AK-15 all jammed up with mud in Belfast.

The computer program is none other than.... wait for it... Excel. They made an excel sheet, input numbers and get an outcome based on numbers ranked for force, destruction area, etc.

omg but its a high tech computer program made by sliteran studios!!! ;)

Kloubek
06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Both the taliban and IRA are successful based on their environment that they're fighting on.

This.

I will add that the political environment also plays a role.

Let's take the US and the Taliban. The Taliban are not as well trained. They have inferior weapons. BUT, they have the mountains, the knowledge of guerilla tactics (including blending in with the population), and the fearlessness that comes with believing they are being a martyr and pleasing Allah.

They do not have the ability to win outright against the might of a force like the USA. They didn't have the might to win against Russia either. But they DO have more resilience to keep a war going indefinately. They have nobody to answer to other than themselves. Russia and the US, however, have their population which will turn on them if they lose too many soldiers fighting a battle that cannot be won. These countries can only keep a battle going for so long before they have to withdraw, and essentially "lose" the war.

For the record, this is exactly what will happen in Afghanistan this time around too.