PDA

View Full Version : Need a doctor and a dentist.

em2ab
04-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I moved to Calgary in 2005 and still haven't seen a doctor here but I need a cyst removed from my neck so it's time to see a doctor for that I think. Any idea how someone goes about finding a doctor? Do I just pick one and make an appointment?

I also haven't seen a dentist in 5-6 years except for the one in New York last year that jacked me for $4500 because my teeth were terrible. Is it the same deal as the doctor, make an appointment with any random one?

Really not sure how this is done, I've had the same doctor/dentist until I moved out on my own at 18 and never seen one since.

Mibz
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Dentists, yeah, just make an appointment for a cleaning and x-rays. They'll tell you if you need to make another appointment to fix problems they found while poking around in there.

For the doctor, same thing, just phone a clinic and say "I've got this growth on my neck, I call him Phil, we're fighting so I'd like him to move out." and they'll schedule and appointment.

dannie
04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
The health region has a list of doctors that are accepting new patients.

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/doctor/CalgaryList.pdf

Tik-Tok
04-26-2009, 08:50 PM
You can go to any walk-in for the neck thing, but if you want a regular family doctor, go to the list above.

em2ab
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
As you can probably tell I go to the doctor about once every 5 years so I probably just need a temporary solution, not a long term deal. Unless there's some other benefit to that.

EK 2.0
04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Go see my Dentist....and yes, there are a few of them on beyond...

But I like my dentist the best...Dr. Jan Jaffer...he's got a few clinics around town so you can hit up the one that's the easiest for you...

Dr. Jaffer @ Saddletowne Dental (http://www.saddletownedental.com/)

and on this board there is VWEvo (Dr. Volinder Dhesi) as well...Although and I might be wrong...I think he is an Orthodontist...

Arif.

Tik-Tok
04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
As you can probably tell I go to the doctor about once every 5 years so I probably just need a temporary solution, not a long term deal. Unless there's some other benefit to that.

Yearly check-ups... you're 28, it almost time to start.

But if you aren't ready for that, like I said, just go to any walk in clinic.

em2ab
04-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Yearly check-ups... you're 28, it almost time to start.

Not for another 2 months! Does it say that in my profile somewhere?

I guess that's a good idea though, my grandfather, both grandmothers and 2 aunts had cancer. Might be best.

VWEvo
04-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

But I like my dentist the best...Dr. Jan Jaffer...he's got a few clinics around town so you can hit up the one that's the easiest for you...

and on this board there is VWEvo (Dr. Volinder Dhesi) as well...Although and I might be wrong...I think he is an Orthodontist...

Arif.

Arif,

You do have a great dentist :D Actually, Dr. Jan is my partner here at Ranchlands Dental. He does own a few other practices also. Also, I am a general dentist, I just happen to do a lot of orthodontics. Thanks for mentioning me though :)

EK 2.0
04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Arif,

You do have a great dentist :D Actually, Dr. Jan is my partner here at Ranchlands Dental. He does own a few other practices also. Also, I am a general dentist, I just happen to do a lot of orthodontics. Thanks for mentioning me though :)

See I wasn't sure of your practice...as you do a close friends invisaligns (sp) so though you just focused on orthodontics...But thanks for clearing that up....

Also, Dr. Jan is more than my dentist...he's a close friend haha....so I have to big him up haha...

craigcd
04-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Arif.

Haha Dr Jaffer (Ranchlands) was my doctor for 18 years!

EK 2.0
04-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by craigcd

Haha Dr Jaffer (Ranchlands) was my doctor for 18 years!

Yeah that's my dentists dad...No way Jan could have been practicing for 18 years he hasn't hit 30 yet...Unless there is something he ain't telling me hahaha....

kenny
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM

Family doctors are useless except for when you need them to write you a doctors note because you slept in for an exam.

kamakurakid
04-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Dorchester Health (Dr. David MacLean) for teeth and anything mouth like. I have had very complicated dental issues, would never consider another dentist. Even checked in twice a year while in Japan, and I was in Japan for over eight years. Great people at Dorchester, they treat me right.

http://www.dorchesterhealth.ca/welcome.html

For a doctor I just use any walk-in, I find the doctors are more open to figuring out the real cause of any issues. A regular family doctor can get too attached to the history and miss the thinking outside the box view. As an example, I thought I had allergies to something in the air here in Calgary, might be the very, very dry air. Anyway, in 10 minutes a doctor at a walk-in had me cured for $6 in supplies. Hit the walk-in first thing in the morning and there is seldom a wait.

Health is something you need to get on top of, waiting is a ticking bomb.

em2ab
04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Arif,

Do you accept coverage from ISS Benefits Management? It's what we have here at work. I need a cleaning very soon.

Lagerstatten.ca
05-02-2009, 02:01 PM
If you haven't found a dentist yet, my friend Dr. John Tran is accepting patients at Signal Hill Dental Centre.

Highly recommended! Not just because he's my friend but he does outstanding work.

em2ab
05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
If you haven't found a dentist yet, my friend Dr. John Tran is accepting patients at Signal Hill Dental Centre.

Highly recommended! Not just because he's my friend but he does outstanding work.
Sounds Asian, does he understand English really well?

EK 2.0
05-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Are you fucking kidding me??....What the fuck kind of question is that??

TDFTW
05-03-2009, 11:59 PM

Sounds Asian, does he understand English really well? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SOAB
05-04-2009, 08:54 AM

probably not. everyone knows that only white people understand English.

i hate going to my family doctor. he's always so busy that even if i have an appointment, i still end up waiting 60-90 minutes to see him...

em2ab
05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Are you fucking kidding me??....What the fuck kind of question is that??
Common sense? :dunno: Why do you think people hate calling Dell support? If I have trouble communicating with someone, I'll communicate with someone else.

EK 2.0
05-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Common sense? :dunno: Why do you think people hate calling Dell support? If I have trouble communicating with someone, I'll communicate with someone else.

You are the most daft user I have seen in the last 2 months.

Because the dentists name is Dr. John Tran you assume he doesn't speak good english??

Then, what do you have to say about Dr. V. Dhesi, Dr. J. Jaffer, Dr. A. Tang??....

They have non-white names so they don't speak English??...

Wow, I seriously....

em2ab
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM

You are the most daft user I have seen in the last 2 months.

Because the dentists name is Dr. John Tran you assume he doesn't speak good english??

Then, what do you have to say about Dr. V. Dhesi, Dr. J. Jaffer, Dr. A. Tang??....

They have non-white names so they don't speak English??...

Wow, I seriously....
That wasn't it at all, since they have a name of Asian origin I recognize the fact that there is a higher possibility of a communication breakdown. Therefore I have to ask. If I had assumed, then I wouldn't have asked, I would have just went with my assumption.
If I saw some Canadian guy with the last name Powers and it turned out to be some redneck that I couldn't understand half the time I wouldn't go back to him neither.

You might be confusing this with me saying, "I don't want to see him because he's Asian." That would be completely different but I don't really care where he's from. I just want to be able to talk to him.

EK 2.0
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM

That wasn't it at all, since they have a name of Asian origin I recognize the fact that there is a higher possibility of a communication breakdown.

But these people are not just help desk 12 dollar an hour employees....

They are highly skilled and trained professionals who have to adhere to the highest of testing standards, and continual educational updates....

Aleks
05-04-2009, 11:53 AM

They are highly skilled and trained professionals who have to adhere to the highest of testing standards, and continual educational updates....

Are we still talking about Canadian doctors here? :D

Does anyone have any experience with private health clinics? I could only find 1 so far (Copeman).

Anyone have any experience with them or others that may exist in Calgary?

em2ab
05-04-2009, 12:45 PM

But these people are not just help desk 12 dollar an hour employees....

I see your point but it seems our argument is as follows:
- you say I should I should simply assume it's fine and I'm not allowed to ask
- I want an answer to a question so I simply ask the question and don't see anything wrong with it

I don't understand why (it seems to me) you're insisting I go ahead and see him rather than simply asking someone if they know how his English is. Am I not allowed to ask that? It's also possible I got the wrong idea of your side of the argument.

The_Rural_Juror
05-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I was wondering why you assumed that the brown dentists can speak English while the Asian doctor can't?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nismodrifter
05-04-2009, 02:02 PM

I see your point but it seems our argument is as follows:
- you say I should I should simply assume it's fine and I'm not allowed to ask
- I want an answer to a question so I simply ask the question and don't see anything wrong with it

I don't understand why (it seems to me) you're insisting I go ahead and see him rather than simply asking someone if they know how his English is. Am I not allowed to ask that? It's also possible I got the wrong idea of your side of the argument.

Hey playa....

So just because someones name is azn/EI you seem to automatically assume that these doods are foreign/immigrants. Hell even if they are immigrants, you have assumed that they are going to have teh englizh prolemz.

You don't think that these professionals have gone through an extremely strict training process to become what they are today??? Whether it be a local OR foreign trained physician they all have gone through numerous written AND clinical skill assessments (which involves *GASP* testing to see how they deal with patients!)

Fact of the matter is, any medical professional (dentist/doc/etc) out there today today has not made it by asking patients - " are you being the sick? what can I must be helpful to making you beter? oh your stomak hurt that prolem I not know wut do because I asian/brown". No, they have made it through because they possess the skills to take a history, diagnose, and then explain their findings to you in PLAIN OLD ENGLISH. No english = NO WORK4MRFOBDOC. On top of that they are evaluated regularly thereafter to make sure their skills still are up to par.

If I was you I would worry more about the breakdown in communication that you get at any other establishment around town. I regularly get that at Wal-mart when the Canadian bred caucasian at the checkout can't put together a sentence in proper english. Their name tag usually reads John Edward Smith or Suzy Doris Johnson. Total CDN names, so with your train of thought you'd think that these ppl would be hardcore Englizh speakers.

Your logic = total :facepalm:

max_boost
05-04-2009, 02:34 PM

OMG

That's fucking classic dude!

:rofl:

Aleks
05-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Hey playa....

So just because someones name is azn/EI you seem to automatically assume that these doods are foreign/immigrants. Hell even if they are immigrants, you have assumed that they are going to have teh englizh prolemz.

You don't think that these professionals have gone through an extremely strict training process to become what they are today??? Whether it be a local OR foreign trained physician they all have gone through numerous written AND clinical skill assessments (which involves *GASP* testing to see how they deal with patients!)

Fact of the matter is, any medical professional (dentist/doc/etc) out there today today has not made it by asking patients - " are you being the sick? what can I must be helpful to making you beter? oh your stomak hurt that prolem I not know wut do because I asian/brown". No, they have made it through because they possess the skills to take a history, diagnose, and then explain their findings to you in PLAIN OLD ENGLISH. No english = NO WORK4MRFOBDOC. On top of that they are evaluated regularly thereafter to make sure their skills still are up to par.

If I was you I would worry more about the breakdown in communication that you get at any other establishment around town. I regularly get that at Wal-mart when the Canadian bred caucasian at the checkout can't put together a sentence in proper english. Their name tag usually reads John Edward Smith or Suzy Doris Johnson. Total CDN names, so with your train of thought you'd think that these ppl would be hardcore Englizh speakers.

Your logic = total :facepalm:

Hey man,
How far along are you in your studies? What are you going to specialize in?

em2ab
05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Can't even ask a question here.

EK 2.0
05-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Can't even ask a question here.

It's the question...

If I ask if the sky is purple today...I will get an answer..

But when I ask does Arif Jina speak english because he has an Arabic first name and an Indian last name...what kind of question is that??

Because of his fucking name??....that makes so sense to me...

em2ab
05-04-2009, 03:41 PM

It's the question...

But when I ask does Arif Jina speak english because he has an Arabic first name and an Indian last name...what kind of question is that??

I want the person I deal with to be able to converse with me freely. So if I make an appointment with John Smith, I can probably assume that I'll be fine without asking. But once I get there and find out there's some sort of problem, I can cancel and go somewhere else.
If I make an appointment with someone that has a foreign name, what's so hard about asking before making the trip down there?

It's like if I go to the barber and there's a white guy and a Mexican guy. You've been to a few barbers before and a lot of the Mexican guys that cut your hair really had trouble understanding what you were trying to explain and turned out giving you a slight variant of what you asked for, who would you choose?

I asked a simple question, it's not a big deal. The only reply that made sense so far was the one outlining the requirements needed to be a doctor here which is something I overlooked and negates my need to ask. It's pretty simple logic.

max_boost
05-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm willing to bet Dr. John's Tran's English is superior to that of his native language.

A|pine
05-04-2009, 04:06 PM

I want the person I deal with to be able to converse with me freely. So if I make an appointment with John Smith, I can probably assume that I'll be fine without asking. But once I get there and find out there's some sort of problem, I can cancel and go somewhere else.
If I make an appointment with someone that has a foreign name, what's so hard about asking before making the trip down there?

It's like if I go to the barber and there's a white guy and a Mexican guy. You've been to a few barbers before and a lot of the Mexican guys that cut your hair really had trouble understanding what you were trying to explain and turned out giving you a slight variant of what you asked for, who would you choose?

I asked a simple question, it's not a big deal. The only reply that made sense so far was the one outlining the requirements needed to be a doctor here which is something I overlooked and negates my need to ask. It's pretty simple logic.

It's also pretty simple logic that doctors in Canada have to write a test (called the MCAT) before being educated in medicine. There are different components to this test one of which is......language proficiency (which usually involves english or french).

Doctors in Canada before they get admitted to a medical school they have to apply to the school, give references and show their competency based on post-secondary education - English or french being one of the subjects. On top of that they are interviewed by a panel which most likely consists of more doctors (these doctors usually have both their MD and phd). This of course is conducted in English (maybe French if you're in Quebec, I honestly don't know).

But hey I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you didn't know the process in Canada. It is sort of common knowledge that becoming a doctor is very difficult. The only way that your reference to him or her being incapable of communicating is if they completed their medical education out of country. Possible - but you should probably call the professional himself and inquire to where he was educated if you're that worried about communication problems.

lint
05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Title of this thread should be changed to "Need a WHITE doctor and WHITE dentist"

em2ab
05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by A|pine

It's also pretty simple logic that doctors in Canada have to write a test (called the MCAT) before being educated in medicine. There are different components to this test one of which is......language proficiency (which usually involves english or french).

Doctors in Canada before they get admitted to a medical school they have to apply to the school, give references and show their competency based on post-secondary education - English or french being one of the subjects. On top of that they are interviewed by a panel which most likely consists of more doctors (these doctors usually have both their MD and phd). This of course is conducted in English (maybe French if you're in Quebec, I honestly don't know).

But hey I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you didn't know the process in Canada. It is sort of common knowledge that becoming a doctor is very difficult. The only way that your reference to him or her being uncapable of communicate is if they completed their medical education out of country. Possible - but you should probably call the professional himself and inquire to where he was educated if you're that worried about communication problems.
Best reply yet. I didn't know the process, thanks. Question answered, I have no more questions. It wasn't that big a deal.

Originally posted by lint
Title of this thread should be changed to "Need a WHITE doctor and WHITE dentist"
I've met white people I couldn't understand at all.

SOAB
05-04-2009, 08:01 PM
don't know the process? is that your lame-ass excuse to ask such dumb questions on a forum?

you compare Dell help line to licensed MD's and you think we're the idiots?

The_Rural_Juror
05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
The OP is still ignorant as to how ignorant he is even after being pointed out.

B18C
05-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca

Yes Dr. Tran does very good work but if you are going to go to Signal Hill Dental I would recommend Dr. Tang. He's the taller and much better looking asian dentist at the clinic.

I'm not just saying that because I am Dr. Tang. It is a well established fact.

...and yes I talk good engrish :angel:

max_boost
05-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Hey Dr. Tang,

Any Beyond discounts? Or how about discounts for having the same last name? j/k

Can we watch TV while you do the dental work?

:D

em2ab
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
you compare Dell help line to licensed MD's and you think we're the idiots?
This is the problem with this forum. I didn't call anybody an idiot, I didn't even argue with anyone. Hell, I even accepted the criticism and learned from it.......than I get some douchebag telling me I called someone an idiot. WTF?
The kiddie pool is thataway >>>>>>

SOAB
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
i'm the douchebag huh?

this coming from a computer/electronics geek that has no social skills and asks the most retarded questions on beyond. learn to use that speech (typing) filter in your head before you hit the submit button and you'll be better off. hopefully you don't spout off the bullshit that you post in real life.

you're like the real life equivalent of the dude from "Big Bang Theory". smart but retarded at the same time.

B18C
05-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Hey Dr. Tang,

Any Beyond discounts? Or how about discounts for having the same last name? j/k

Can we watch TV while you do the dental work?

We can definitely watch some TV. If you bring me some ginger beef we might be able to work out some kind of deal ;)

em2ab
06-13-2009, 12:06 AM

It's the question...

You could be nicer about it. You've called me names all through this thread and I haven't done so once. Try being nicer to people.

Anyway, I saw him today, I put EK2.0 on the referral sheet.
Is it just me or should a checkup with a couple of X-rays not cost $225? I had a full checkup with consultation and all X-rays done in New York and the total bill was $35. Jaffer jacked me for $225.....WTF? And I didn't even get the cleaning yet.

Anyway, he's a cool guy, super nice, and his English is great.....he was actually born in Newfoundland, probably at the same hospital I was. He's got a super nice Porsche too. So basically it was a good place, I'll likely go back for all the work I need done. And I'm told the price is comparable to anywhere else so not a big deal I guess.

nodoubtt
06-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm a dental school student, and even I have to agree with the op. I don't know why you're all bashing him.
In my experience, many of the foreign general practitioners that I've been to have caused me the most problems because of their inability to understand exactly what it is that I'm trying to tell them. So even though it's true that they have to go through the rigorous testing processes (MCAT, interview, etc), I'm still amazed at how many of them speak such bad english

ZorroAMG
06-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Whatever. You can't speak english to save your fucking life. All I ever hear when I call you is clicks and beeps and what sounds like a head bobbing side to side.

I keeeeeeeeeeeed.