PDA

View Full Version : max_boost gets STRONG!

max_boost
04-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Three weeks ago my buddy 'lint' hooked me up on a deal on a used power cage with all the goodies. This is what it looks like.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/samtang310/Power%20Rack.jpg

I'm 28. I've wanted to work out all my life but you know, I just couldn't stay committed, ever. So yeah, my goal is to increase strength so now I work out 3X a week. No excuses. The workouts are simple:

Workout A: squats, chin-ups, shoulder press
Workout B: squats, bench, deads

Week 1: ABA
Week 2: BAB
etc.

Do a few warm up sets but for the actual work out it's 3X5.
Right now I can't even do a chin up yet so I'm working on that by doing some negatives.

Cardio on an off day or I play Badminton with the crew.

Diet: I just kind of eat whatever. I know what I should and shouldn't do but I can't restrict myself that much. I try to eat more protein, less fat, complex carbs and 4-6 meals a day. For supplements I'm taking the Usana vitamins, fish and flax oil and lots of chocolate milk. :drool:

I hope to increase the weights every 1-2 workouts. The first few sessions were painful. I was very sore and the idea of increasing weights was insane. Now I think I've found my groove. Trust my body is getting stronger and can handle the workload.

Thanks for reading. Comments, suggestions, motivational words, let's hear them. May there be more newbie gains to be gained. As Darkane says: "STAY STRONG"

:thumbsup:

Stats:

Ecto/Endo mix. Skinny up top and chunky on the bottom.
5"5
143lbs

Phase 1: Rippetoe's Starting Strength

Started April 9. Finished roughly 3 months later.

Final Phase 1 update: (5reps)

Weight 143----->159

Lifts
Bench 80----->120
Press 45------>85
Squat 105----->210
Deads 115----->210

I peaked about 6 weeks into the lifts so I did a de-load, mixed some things around and still couldn't break through so I decided it was time to move on.

Phase 2: 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler

Calculate 1RM (using #'s from above)

weight X reps X.03333

Bench = 140
Press = 99
Squat = 245
Deads = 245

Training max, take max weight and subtract 10%.

Bench = 126
Press = 89
Squat = 220
Deads = 220

The idea is to train optimally, you don't have to train at your max to maintain your max.

1 cycle takes approximately 4-5 weeks to complete. After 1 cycle you add 5lbs to the bench and press and 10lbs to the squat and deads. Wendler says you can go up to 6-7 cycles before plateau. This is an intermediate program.

Originally posted by Darkane
Stay Strong!

P.S, if anyone wants a copy of Starting Strength or 5/3/1, PM me.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
You've got the compound excercises, but you're gonna need to switch more then that, and you need to work more muscle groups.
Get a set of dumb bells for bi/tris/flys all that kinda good stuff... you'll get a lot of strength from doing the compounds, but it's always good to do the little muscle groups in my experience.

Redlined_8000
04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Nice set up man!! If you stay consistent, eating and training, your gonna see some huge improvements.

Something you should look into is maybe some Bands. They are the most versatile things you can ever get!!

http://www.prowriststraps.com/bands_powerlifting_weight_lifting_band

You can do literally anything, assisted chins, pull throughs, curls, shoulder press... you get the idea :)

Vagabond142
04-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Damn o_O I need that kinda hookup for my prep for the Forces XD Looks like a killer setup :D

ZorroAMG
04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Are you really doing Bench 3 times a week? Yikes...when will you have time to actually repair (grow)?

Good for you staying with it Max...imus!

:D

Redlined_8000
04-26-2009, 09:10 PM
^^ I agree about that. Squating and benching 3 times a week. May not be optimal.

If you were to look at a alternative:

Workout A:

Shoulder press 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Bent over row 3x8
Abs 3x12 - hold a 5 or 10 behind your head and do some situps.

Workout B:

Squats 3x5
Deads 3x5
Chin ups or pullups, maybe band pull downs 2 x AMAP - as many as possibly

good luck!!

BigMass
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
For strength you can workout a bodypart more than once/week. Yes, a bodybuilder will workout one bodypart/week for optimal growth. Strength athletes train a little different. If you are working to improve your strength on the bench, you can definitely bench 3 times/week depending on how your routines look. Reps, sets, close grip, wide grip, chains, max lifts, negatives etc.

beyond_ban
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice setup, i have the exact same one! The only thing is i have a bench so i can do bench press/leg curls/leg extensions. Good luck man!

buh_buh
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
you can incorporate some bi curls and skull crushers into that with the olympic bar too and some hanging leg raises for abs. I agree with Zorro. Bench/squat 3x a week is too much. The most I'd do it is 2x a week, but even then I'd only do it every other week. But nice gains for 2 weeks. I love noob gains.

lint
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
I think he made a typo, bench should be alternating with press.

I'll try to address some of the questions in here, since I'm the one who pointed max in this direction.

Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
You've got the compound excercises, but you're gonna need to switch more then that, and you need to work more muscle groups.
Get a set of dumb bells for bi/tris/flys all that kinda good stuff... you'll get a lot of strength from doing the compounds, but it's always good to do the little muscle groups in my experience.

As a novice lifter, maximal growth and gains will be seen through the use of compound exercises. The exercises that max listed cover everything that he needs at this point in order to build a base. Once he's maxed out on his novice gains, switching things up would make sense. But expending energy on isolating bi/tri/flys at this point would just take away from the progress that he'll make by sticking with the program.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Are you really doing Bench 3 times a week? Yikes...when will you have time to actually repair (grow)?

Good for you staying with it Max...imus!

I believe that's a mistake, bench should be alternating with press. As a novice and by following this program, max will be able to gain strength every workout. Even squatting every workout, there is enough rest supercompensation to occur.

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
^^ I agree about that. Squating and benching 3 times a week. May not be optimal.

If you were to look at a alternative:

Workout A:

Shoulder press 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Bent over row 3x8
Abs 3x12 - hold a 5 or 10 behind your head and do some situps.

Workout B:

Squats 3x5
Deads 3x5
Chin ups or pullups, maybe band pull downs 2 x AMAP - as many as possibly

good luck!!

You'd be surprised how optimal squatting 3x a week can be.

Neil4Speed
04-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Good luck on your trek!

Here is some inspiration for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AemCeiuI_k

pf0sh0
04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
nice workout! running the same plan, probably not as consistent though:facepalm:

5hift
04-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Good plan. It seems to be taken from Rippletoes?

As mentioned, hopefully you made a mistake and are only benching twice a week max. It should be with workout B, so one week you do it twice, and the next week only once. This gives you a good medium as benching once a week is not nearly enough. But as Mark Rippletoe who had trained many champions has proven, you can squat 3 times a week, in fact he suggests all newbies do this. You will see huge gains doing this, dont stop it.

And as lint mentioned, ignore the guys who suggested doing bicep or tricep work. Your bi's and tri's get hit in almost every upper body exercise and in deadlifts. Once you start being able to do pullups, they will really be getting hit hard. If at the end of a workout you have enough energy to do mirror exercises like curls, you havent been lifting hard enough.

You seem to have taken out dips from workout B. I would do them if you can, or work your way into them, they hit your chest hard. Also when doing shoulder press, make sure to do standing press, as it requires balancing as well and will hit you much harder.

If you are in fact doing Rippletoes, and are interested, I have Mark Rippletoes book Starting Strength on pdf I can pm/email you, which features this plan and has a wealth of knowledge on proper form, technique, diet etc.

Other than that you seem to have done your research as you have the perfect workout plan for a newbie. Good luck and most importantly be consistant.

SoSlowDx
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Keep it up Boss!:D

ZorroAMG
04-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Squatting 3x/wk is ok, the legs can take it...as long as walking isn't necessary haha...chest though, wayyy smaller muscles to do that much per week.

lint
04-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Squatting 3x/wk is ok, the legs can take it...as long as walking isn't necessary haha...chest though, wayyy smaller muscles to do that much per week.

It's all in the programming. Bill Starr's Big 3 program has you squatting, benching and power cleaning 3x a week using a light/medium/heavy variation. The Texas Method can also be applied with a high volume, light recover and high intensity.

max_boost
04-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

Finally I'm on a program where I feel like I'm going somewhere. It's nice seeing gains almost every time out.

I remember the day when I went to go pick up the setup, my job was to carry the weights out from the basement. I wanted to grab the two 45's (one in each hand) but I couldn't, I could only take one. FFWD 3 weeks, I can now handle both :D

Part reason in posting this up is so I can track my progress. The other part is, for those who know me, hell if I can do it, then ANYONE can do it.

I'll check back in with the weight updates later this week.

Skyline_Addict
04-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Damn nice setup!

I have a modest machine in my basement as well...I really need to get some audio/video hooked up there to encourage more regular visits to the basement!

Quickstrike
04-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Looks like you have made some great progress so far!

I wish I had more room in the basement for a setup like that. Might be time to renew my gym pass after going through a long dormant stage.

Jlude
04-27-2009, 08:36 AM
:thumbsup: Good luck! Stick with it this time!

theken
04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
Get a set of dumb bells for bi/tris/flys all that kinda good stuff the whole point of doing whole body exercises is that your whoe body gets involved. You don't think chin ups at 150 lbs is working your biceps more then a 20 lb curl? He has all of his muscles covered and it is a good strength building program. I would throw in some bent over rows underhand and overhand but keep at her you'll be able to do a chinup one day

no_joke
04-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice gains- If I could offer some advice: Just make sure that your form is tight and the numbers will come. There are some good example videos on crossfit.com. Look for the Rippetoe vids.

Darkane
04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Very Nice.

Keep doing exactly what you're doing. Incorporate a post workout shake.

Something really simple even - 500ml Chocolate milk with one scoop whey. Have it 15min after the workout.

Replace that TV with a mirror so you can see how awesome you are. :bigpimp:

Stay Strong - :burnout: :burnout:

ZorroAMG
04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
That pic isn't his place....just the setup. That pretty boy probably has the whole basement in mirrors.

Go Maximus!

j.garner
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
I have to say your basement is a sweet setup and i wish i had that at home i might just buy out my contract at golds or sell my membership and do that. you have everything needed there.

civic_rida
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
good job man.
Sweet setup.

mwmhong
04-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Three weeks ago my buddy 'lint' hooked me up on a deal on a used power cage with all the goodies. This is what it looks like.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/samtang310/Power%20Rack.jpg

There we go! Looks NICE! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club! :bigpimp:

sexualbanana
04-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by j.garner
I have to say your basement is a sweet setup and i wish i had that at home i might just buy out my contract at golds or sell my membership and do that. you have everything needed there.

Yeah, a power cage would be sweet.

max_boost
05-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Hey guys, need some advice here.

My last workout was on Saturday morning and it went great. I got through the weights with no trouble. Unfortunately my cold really kicked in that day and I haven't felt well until today. Went through the usual cycle, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, loss of appetite and just feeling really weak. My colds usually last 3-4 days MAX.

I'm almost better now but I've regressed. I can barely lift the weights I was pulling on Saturday. What now? How to get it back? Give it a couple more days? Decrease the weight? Any insight is appreciated.

lint
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
you need to get your appetite back and when you do, you'll get your strength back. In the meantime, you can go through with the warm ups and stop there. This will keep your CNS prepped. Once you're eating again and feeling better, pick up where you left off. I doubt that a week off will cause a significant loss of strength if any at all.

ShelbyMopar
05-06-2009, 12:37 AM

My last workout was on Saturday morning and it went great. I got through the weights with no trouble. Unfortunately my cold really kicked in that day and I haven't felt well until today. Went through the usual cycle, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, loss of appetite and just feeling really weak. My colds usually last 3-4 days MAX.

I'm almost better now but I've regressed. I can barely lift the weights I was pulling on Saturday. What now? How to get it back? Give it a couple more days? Decrease the weight? Any insight is appreciated.

Dude, I've been sick a couple times in the last few months, it SUCKS.

You get back to the gym after finally getting through it, and your lifting less weight.

But look through it! Get your appetite back, and you'll be lifting the exact same in a few days.

If your like myself, my body and mind feel alot better, but before I can actually hit the weights again good, I need a few days of light stuff and carb/protein loading to recover from the lack of eating while sick.

You'll be back in no time, don't sweat it. :)

ZorroAMG
05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
As posted above, it's only your lack of nutrition during the cold...you'll bounce back hard.

Best....

GQBalla
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
yeap its cause you got sick.

what everyone said is true, the strength will come back. Thats why i find once i start feeling a little sick ill start getting vitamin C in me like no tomorrow and i take a few days or a week off from the weights.

hattonlynch
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM

I've worked out on a sore throat + cold. It's actually very beneficial to you somehow and it usually makes me feel a whole lot better. Try just powering through it.

TC2002
05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Keep up the great work, S!

I know it's hard to go on low energy from having a cold. I usually give myself a day to recover after my cold is over and go at it again normally. Don't want to lose the routine. Hope you feel better soon! :thumbsup:

max_boost
05-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Just want to let everyone know I'm still sticking to this program and that IT WORKS. I usually just update my first post so it's not reflective.

Anyway.....

1 month update.

Weight: 143---->153---->+7%
Squat: 105---->200---->+90%
Deads: 115---->185---->+61%
Bench: 80---->115---->+44%
Press: 45---->80---->+78%

The gains are awesome. I'm honestly shocked because I didn't think such fast gains were possible. I'm excited to hit the basement and lift. It's a challenge that I relish. I'm bigger. I'm stronger. I feel great.

If even I can do it :rofl: then anyone can do it :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading.

Stay Strong!

anschutz_92
05-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Was the weigh in at the same time of day (preferably right after you get up) and same attire? The reason I ask is because 10lbs is a LOT to put on over a month. When I weigh myself in the morning I'm 152-155 and I've weighed up to 165 at the end of the day fully clothed at the gym (I have a feeling my home scale reads a bit low though lol). Ideally you want to shoot for 5lbs/month in gains otherwise you are going to be packing on a lot of fat.

Good gains regardless, keep it up.

max_boost
05-18-2009, 06:19 PM
My scale at home is inaccurate so I just use the one at Talisman. The weigh in is clothed and later in the evening around 10pm both times.

I know what you mean though as I'm monitoring things because I do NOT want to get fat. If anything I'm going to tweak the diet and do a bit more cardio to keep it in check. I find myself eating like a monster these days.

:drool: :eek: :nut:

James
05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Great Gains so far man, maybe i should come over and work out in your Dungeon sometime lol

A790
05-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey man, great progress! If you ever want someone to come over and kick your ass for a bit hit me up :)

Redlined_8000
05-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Darkane here:

Fantastic progress man - keep going!

When you start to stall take a de-load week and do nothing. Eat more protein than you have been and watch your body grow and strengthen.

When you come back you'll be even stronger.

Also 10 pounds in one month can be almost pure muscle for a noob lifter.

I mean adding almost 100 pounds to the squat, I can see adding that much muscle.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just a note - now that you are putting on muscle protein may need to come up. Be pro-active about it and don't wait till stalling begins.

Also - If you want a critique on your Squat/deadlift/bench form get a vid up :thumbsup:

theken
05-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe me James and banana should come give her a go with you. Some nice ass gains man congrats.

max_boost
05-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Here's a video of my 205 squat. It was VERY hard. I'm not even sure I did it right. :nut:

I think part of my quick progression was I unknowingly switched my stance from the regular shoulder width to the wide power lifting stance. I didn't even realize how wide my stance was until lint pointed it out. So, I switched back. Squatting 205 narrow is a lot fucking harder than wide. OMG.

Anyway, here it is.

I know it's nowhere near perfect so flame away. :devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM7lA78zn8g

ZorroAMG
05-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Set the catch rails higher and go to failure :D

lint
05-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Depth looked high on the first rep, the others should be close based on what I've seen you do in person, might just be the camera angle. Doesn't look like you're struggling that bad, but you did 6 reps instead of 5

Darkane
05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
That's actually pretty good.

Your depth seems ok too, not ass to grass but to me it looked parallel. Good.

Also it seems your ass is shooting up first and you're almost getting into a "good morning" position. Try sticking your chest out more, and drive your head backwards into the bar.

Out of hole focus on "thrusting" your hips forward as you ascend and it should correct that.

But good job :thumbsup:

civic_rida
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Good job
The camera is a great idea to see what your doing right or wrong.
Lookin huge bro.

Redlined_8000
05-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, squats were half decent.. Drive your upperback into the bar, chest up, back arched... its all in the hips!

Good work!

max_boost
06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Hitting a bit of a wall here, time to deload?

Last strong session a little over a week ago were:

Bench: 120
Squat: 205
Deads: 205
Press: 85

Since then I can't even finish a set of 5 of any of the above.

Not much has changed in terms of diet or sleep but I'm just feel generally tired this last week? :confused: Is my body telling me to chill out? Relax a bit? I do play badminton on Monday and Wednesday so there's no rest between the Tues/Thurs workouts. Today is the first day in the past week where I feel like I have a lot of energy and I can take on the world lol

Deload 10% and work my way back up is the consensus I'm getting. Should I give myself a few more days rest?

The burning question also, should I try out some creatine? :drool:

roopi
06-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Definately move up the safety rails. They are too low. If you run in to a problem those aren't going to help at that height.

anschutz_92
06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
The burning question also, should I try out some creatine? :drool:

It's not going to hurt you but it's also not a miracle drug... why not? If you eat a LOT of meat already (among other sources of creatine) you may find that it does nothing.

It won't kill you to take some time off. I quit working out for a month, started lifting after work again and put 1/2" on my arms over three weeks. I'm limiting my time at the gym to 20-30minutes. I've cut out legs completely from my workouts, only going twice, maybe three times a week and I'm putting weight on like crazy right now. Granted I've bumped up my diet quite a bit, but I truly believe going 4x/week was severely overtraining myself. I'm pretty ecto so I can't train like a meso.

max_boost
06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah the rails are normally a lot higher, I was filming and thought they might get in the way so I kept them low. :nut:

Darkane
06-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Take a deload.

If you're really tired take the whole week off, get your mind off of lifting. Just EAT though.

This will be a crucial time and you may see size gains.

Or if you're deadset on lifting, do 50% of the volume. Cut the number of sets in half, and do 90% of your intensity.

I've never used creatine, not yet anyway.

Use it after your deload and you'll most likely see some awesome strength gains :)

mackycordova
06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
great post!

bigbadboss101
06-12-2009, 11:59 PM
update?

max_boost
06-13-2009, 05:23 PM
This is the week where I will try to break through. I'll be updating. :D

isleepinadrawer
06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
nice progress max...

cant wait to see how you play badminton now

im back in a couple weeks

max_boost
06-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Badminton has improved a bit but I still get schooled every week out.

OK quick update.

Squat: 210
Deadlift: 210
Bench: 115
Chin ups: 5 consecutive

So I squeezed out 1 set of 5 reps of 210 on the squat and deadlift, +5lbs from my previous best workouts. I cleared the press and will attempt 90 next session. But WTF is wrong with my bench? I have to go see master lint as I can barely clear 115. :cry:

You know what helps? Doing the heavy sets on the squat and deadlift, I find myself grunting like a monster rep after rep but since it's in the basement of MY HOUSE, it's OK but man if I ever did that in a gym, people would probably kick my ass lol

Stay Strong

civic_rida
06-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Maybe doing some bicep curls will help out your bench :guns:

digi355
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
Maybe doing some bicep curls will help out your bench :guns:

Probably not..

Wide grip chin ups will help you add some weight to your press (all be it slowly). Big Squats and Dead Lifts are probably the best thing you can be doing for your bench problems, when one part grows, the rest follow suit.

Also, google Dave Tate Bench Press Basics (or something like that). After 2 weeks of practice, I've add 30 pounds to my working press and 50 to my max bench.

civic_rida
06-22-2009, 02:24 PM
:banghead:

Darkane
06-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Badminton has improved a bit but I still get schooled every week out.

OK quick update.

Squat: 210
Deadlift: 210
Bench: 115
Chin ups: 5 consecutive

So I squeezed out 1 set of 5 reps of 210 on the squat and deadlift, +5lbs from my previous best workouts. I cleared the press and will attempt 90 next session. But WTF is wrong with my bench? I have to go see master lint as I can barely clear 115. :cry:

You know what helps? Doing the heavy sets on the squat and deadlift, I find myself grunting like a monster rep after rep but since it's in the basement of MY HOUSE, it's OK but man if I ever did that in a gym, people would probably kick my ass lol

Hey Max,

Good work on the Deads, Squats, and even Bench.

Like any compound movement you're going to be limited by your weak points. This being said how wide of a grip do you use?

You could try a close grip bench (hands on the first grips) and see how much of a max you got there.

Then try a wide grip (Index fingers on the outer rings) and do a max.

Compare the two and your regular max.

It could be your triceps are the weak point, or the shoulders. It could also just be they're nicely working together but it's just your bench is 115 which is fine too.

Military pressing really helps on Bench strength, and Floor pressing is excellent for the tricep portion of the lift. Regardless keep at it, it will Improve.

max_boost
06-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Alright I think it's time for me to leave the Starting Strength program. I'm pretty sure I've hit a plateau for the time being. Can't break through and just stuck in a range. I'm comfortable with my gains over the 2.5 months. It's been fun!

Next up: 5/3/1

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/258498/moving-north-of-vag-by-jim-wendler/

We'll see how it goes. :clap:

Also, I was joking around with my buddies about genetics and how some people are just born strong and some (like me) just weak lol Survival of the fittest right?

Lifting weights is like modding cars.

If I was a car, I would be the equivalent of a BMW 318. After a couple months of lifting, I've supercharged myself to be as strong as a stock 325 :facepalm: Not fair since I feel I have to do so much more while buddy here was born strong ..... say a 335. He works out for a couple months aka Dinan chip and now can smoke M3's lol

Anyway.....going to buy and d/l that book by Jim Wendler now.

Stay Strong!

GQBalla
06-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Before you switch to 5/3/1 even though it looks good and I have heard exceptionally great things about it.
Have you went on a deload?

liquidboi69
06-26-2009, 03:50 AM
I've hit like 3-4 plateaus in the past year, but what really got me over half of them is finding best form/technique. Squats especially. Technique is really important.

Another suggestion is that if you are plateau'ing, throw in pause reps.

To do this, instead of touch and go...pause the bar at the bottom of the rep. Pause for a good second at the chest for bench, on the floor for deadlift, and on a low box for squat. That makes things alot different, (no stretch reflex.) Basically, you will have to generate/contract from a dead stop...alot harder than going fast which utilizes something called the stretch reflex.

Then when you've plateau'd there and go back to touch and go, you may find you became way stronger.

Another thing you can do (what I do from time to time) is alternate weeks of 5x5 and 4sets x 8reps. 5x5 builds good strength, but 4sets x 8 reps will build muscle size...which could or could not be holding you back (not sure of your build just a suggestion.)

I personally don't recommend 5/3/1 for people who have just been working out for less than a year because near the peak, where you do 3 or less reps per set...you could hurt yourself if your technique isn't down packed, or if you have a huge weakness in one area compared to another (unproportions.) I've been injured a few times, and it sucks both physically and mentally.

I would suggest the pause thing with hypertrophy (4x8) AND strength work (5x5). 5/3/1 has close to maximal lifts, and needs you to find a new max every cycle. I don't recommend this if you're not 100% sure of your technique.

liquidboi69
06-26-2009, 03:56 AM
I suggest this program. "Defranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards."

Defranco modified the Westside powerlifting program, and tailor suited it for normal athletes who also do running and stuff (i see you do badminton.)

He employs the things I was suggestion about power AND hypertrophy training.

So if you want, give this program a try.
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

I recommend that you replace the repetitive leg day with a max effort leg day (like 5x5) and pause your reps for all the power lifts. Or alternate 4x8 and 5x5 weeks for legs. This program has a lot of upper body volume as well, so that might help with your bench.

Or if you're set on 5/3/1, just be cautious that you always use good form. Don't sacrifice form during those heavy sets the last few weeks of the cycle.

Oz-
06-26-2009, 06:15 AM
Are you stalled on your bench only?

max_boost
06-26-2009, 09:17 AM
I've tried the de-load and can only match my previous personal bests from over a month ago. I'm stuck on all my lifts so which is why I think I should mix it up.

Thanks for the info, will definitely look into the various options. That's the awesome thing about lifting, so many different programs to try out. It's fun!

lint
06-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
I personally don't recommend 5/3/1 for people who have just been working out for less than a year because near the peak, where you do 3 or less reps per set...you could hurt yourself if your technique isn't down packed, or if you have a huge weakness in one area compared to another (unproportions.) I've been injured a few times, and it sucks both physically and mentally.

I would suggest the pause thing with hypertrophy (4x8) AND strength work (5x5). 5/3/1 has close to maximal lifts, and needs you to find a new max every cycle. I don't recommend this if you're not 100% sure of your technique.

I would counter that 5/3/1 doesn't require you to use a tested 1RM, Wendler provides a formula to calculate this based on weight/reps, and then reduce this calculation by 10% for a training max. To be on the safe side, you can drop it 15% or 20%. This way, you're never working with maximal weights. Going with a training max = 90% of your estimated max means that even in week 3 when you're hitting 95% of your training max for 1 rep, that's only 85% of your true max. And even lower if you set your training max lower.

EDIT: 5/3/1 also include accessory lifts at higher reps for hypertrophy. It's all in how you tailor your program, same goes for westside

Oz-
06-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Things that have helped me with my squat and deadlift before is switching up the accessory lifts.

So if i was doing pull-throughs for the posterior chain, would change it to good mornings or even Glute Ham Raises.

Even changing my squat from a free squat to a box squat or vice versa helps too. Deadlift would move to a rack pulls if my lockout was having trouble.

Bench moving to a decline or incline or even a close grip bench helps. But getting the form down is key here too.

Oz-
06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by lint

I would counter that 5/3/1 doesn't require you to use a tested 1RM, Wendler provides a formula to calculate this based on weight/reps, and then reduce this calculation by 10% for a training max. To be on the safe side, you can drop it 15% or 20%. This way, you're never working with maximal weights. Going with a training max = 90% of your estimated max means that even in week 3 when you're hitting 95% of your training max for 1 rep, that's only 85% of your true max. And even lower if you set your training max lower.

EDIT: 5/3/1 also include accessory lifts at higher reps for hypertrophy. It's all in how you tailor your program, same goes for westside

Wendler is very big on erring on the side of too light. I personally am on my 4th cycle of 5/3/1 and like it quite a bit. My deadlifts have likely broken the 5 wheel mark and my squats are closing in on the 315 x 20 mark. Bench keeps going up and even my standing Military Press keeps going in the right direction.

What I love about it is that 45 minutes I am done and walking out the door.

lint
06-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Oz-

Wendler is very big on erring on the side of too light. I personally am on my 4th cycle of 5/3/1 and like it quite a bit. My deadlifts have likely broken the 5 wheel mark and my squats are closing in on the 315 x 20 mark. Bench keeps going up and even my standing Military Press keeps going in the right direction.

What I love about it is that 45 minutes I am done and walking out the door.

Yep, those are the same big pros I find with 5/3/1 vs other programs. Short, or super short workouts if needed, plenty of variety you can program in if you want and slow and steady progression.

89coupe
06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm too lazy to read through all 5 pages, but I find the easiest way to break through a plateau is to drop the reps down to 4 and sets down to 3.

lint
06-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I'm too lazy to read through all 5 pages, but I find the easiest way to break through a plateau is to drop the reps down to 4 and sets down to 3.

if you're too lazy to read, be too lazy to post. tossing up solutions when you haven't understood the problem is a waste of everyones time

89coupe
06-30-2009, 01:20 PM
....oh, forgot to include. Max weight for each rep. Guaranteed to bust that plateau ;)

liquidboi69
06-30-2009, 04:16 PM

if you're too lazy to read, be too lazy to post. tossing up solutions when you haven't understood the problem is a waste of everyones time
Very agreed. Huge facepalm towards 89coupe wow

89coupe
06-30-2009, 06:49 PM
LOL, what a bunch of nancy's:rofl:

lint
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
LOL, what a bunch of nancy's:rofl:

just because not everyone wants to be like 'coupe, doesn't a nancy make.

Go back to your "this is the gear I have, so it's the best fucking gear for panos, mother fuckers!!!" thread

89coupe
06-30-2009, 11:56 PM

just because not everyone wants to be like 'coupe, doesn't a nancy make.

Go back to your "this is the gear I have, so it's the best fucking gear for panos, mother fuckers!!!" thread

wtf?

LOL

I go back, yes, to low reps, big weight, makes big muscles.:rofl:

liquidboi69
07-01-2009, 02:39 AM
It's not that we're disagreeing. It's more like if you read the thread, you would know that max boost already knows. You would also know he's planning to do 5/3/1 + everyone mentioned big weights and low reps already. You would also know he was previously on 5x5...so saying LOW REPS LOW SETS is pretty useless.

That's exactly why you need to read, so you don't post redundant crap.

scboss
07-01-2009, 05:53 AM
i was in the same boat regarding bench two months ago. I changed my routine to this

Incline dumbell press( alternate sides so hold both in the air and lower one at a time) 4 sets
Pushups 4 sets
Decline bench 4 sets
Dips 4 sets
Then id finish off with the pec deck 15 reps low weight for 7 sets, it may sound crazy but it gets a shitload of blood pumping to your chest at the end of your workout

I went from benching 50 dumbells for incline and 55 for flat and now im doing 65 for incline and 70 for flat.
Btw im also only resting 1 min max in between sets

peternand
09-10-2009, 11:16 AM
nice car on the pic. :whipped:

Darkane
09-14-2009, 02:34 PM
BUMP, what's going on with this?! :)

updates.

max_boost
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM
haha

Damn! I was hoping no one would notice and I can let the thread die j/k

Mid July: Start 5/3/1

Aug 9: I go to Vegas for de-load week. Do de-load lifts when I get back.

August 12: Disaster strikes. Undergo emergency surgery to fix something. Can't do shit for 3 weeks.

Sept 7: Starting training again. Did de-load lifts at 60% of my training max and it was HARD.

Takes me to this week. It's like starting all over again. The soreness, everything. LOL

I'm kind of scared, how hard should I push myself? Last week I was doing 60%. Should I try for 70%? or 80%?

STAY STRONG

ZorroAMG
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Go light to start, just to avoid injury...

Welcome back!

Darkane
09-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I like to gauge it like this:

Do the amount of weight that's comfortable with no pain in the gym.. Or slight discomfort but don't push it.

Try to notice yourself on daily tasks, once there is no pain there or you just did something and didn't feel anything you're just about ready to go hard again in the gym.

For example; If I hurt my back or something and I'm at work spinning a big valve or carrying some buckets of solvent Occasionally I don't even notice my back hurting. It just feels "better". That's when I know I'm ready to go heavy again.

I use tricks like that to gauge the healing and it seems to work pretty good.

max_boost
06-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Might as well throw in a 1 year update.

I haven't done any squats or deads in over 6 months. Ya I know I'm weaksauce, whatever, flame me all you want lol :rofl: :poosie:

BUT

1 year ago, my bench was 115X5 and press 85X5

After being lazy in between, on and off.

My current numbers are bench 135X5 and press 100X5

Just saying. Progress is there.

I weigh in at 160lbs now. Weighed as much as 165 but I felt slow as fuck so I figure 160 is optimal for my frame. I'm 5'5

Diet, I'm eating a lot of protein still. I'm basically cutting carbs, well just the obvious no rice, no noodles, no bread kind of deal but incidental carbs from sauces, fried stuff, that I'm cool with. I'm carb sensitive and makes me so bloated when I eat noodles/rice so ya.

Stay Strong