PDA

View Full Version : not getting paid. what should i do?

vrsc400
04-27-2009, 01:13 AM
What should I do?
I work for my parents and this May 1st it will have been a year since I started.
The problem I have is I have yet to be given a proper pay cheque. In July of last year I bought a car with the money I was supposedly making and it totalled $4000. Then I purchased stereo equipment totalling around $950. So in total I spent $4950.
For the first six months I was working 6 hours a day, 4 days a week at $12.25/h and according to my calculator I should have made $7056. That's $2106 that needs to be paid for the first 6 months. I then took a few weeks off and then started again making the same amount per hour just on a more random schedule so I really have no idea how much I've made since then. They wont pay me claiming I get paid with things. Well that doesn't work. Where should I go? Who should I talk to?
and if your going to say something stupid DON'T

anschutz_92
04-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Have you tried talking to your parents?

KuruptEX
04-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Did u stay in there house without rent?
did u eat your moms cooked food without paying?
did u use there electricity,heating,water?
did u park your car at there house without a monthly fee?

if so then yea they can get you for that also before working for your parents did u fill any documentation stating you were to be paid $12.25/hr.

vrsc400
04-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
Have you tried talking to your parents?
yes ive tried

Originally posted by KuruptEX
did u eat your moms cooked food without paying?
did u park your car at there house without a monthly fee?

if so then yea they can get you for that also before working for your parents did u fill any documentation stating you were to be paid $12.25/hr.
yes.
no. i cook all my own food.
yes.
no.
and we did have a contract but neither seem to know where it is

yue
04-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by vrsc400
For the first six months I was working 6 hours a day, 4 days a week at $12.25/h and according to my calculator I should have made $7056.
7056*0.18=$1270.08 in backed taxes you owe for 6 months (give or take).

you still wanna talk to the government?

vrsc400
04-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by yue

ohh good point
well at least if i get my money i can pay and not get shit on for tax evasion

Team_Mclaren
04-27-2009, 01:46 AM
if you're pissed, move out. :facepalm:

shamez
04-27-2009, 01:47 AM
dude there is nothing you really can do. Ur lucky ur rents havent asked u to pay rent for the last 12 months you have stayed there.

fcukda
04-27-2009, 02:07 AM
how old are you?

i have been in the same situation before and it sucks feels like your being taken advantage of. pursuing legal help would be a bad idea and make things way worse between you and your parents. just cut your loss and work somewhere else.

HiTempguy1
04-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by shamez
dude there is nothing you really can do. Ur lucky ur rents havent asked u to pay rent for the last 12 months you have stayed there.

I'm sorry, but thats the dumbest f*&king thing I've ever heard. His parents offered him a job, paying a certain amount per hour, done f*&kin deal. It doesn't matter if he lives with them or not, and he actually didn't state whether he pays rent or not (which is possible). IF he has been offered to live there with no rent, there is no rent, you doj't just randomly deduct it off the paycheque :nut:

Of course, in reality, you would think the OP would have just went and got a job somewhere else as soon as he noticed this discrepency, which makes this kind of odd IMO. I also love it of how they have to follow a contract for your employment; sound like real caring parents to me. As somebody said, might want to look at moving out (you don't sound like you are over 18, so this may be another problem).

Jlude
04-27-2009, 08:51 AM
That's pretty shitty... your parents are dickin' you around. Hahaha that's terrible.

The_Rural_Juror
04-27-2009, 08:55 AM
You need to start a scammed thread. :rofl:

But seriously. Here are your options:

1) Shut up, live with your parents and save up for a place of your own through a second job, or go to school.

2) Move out on your own and be poor for many years but feel better about yourself.

kenny
04-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by yue

$7,056 is below the personal exemption amount, so there is no income tax.

em2ab
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
I worked for my dad every Saturday all summer for a few years and in return he paid my insurance and I lived with my parents. I'm pretty sure I came out on top of that deal, sounds like you are too.

max_boost
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
LOL

No way. Your parents scamming you? What horrible people. :rolleyes:

The_1
04-27-2009, 09:41 AM
what kind of work?
working for your family is the worst
i worked for my parents for the longest time without getting paid

luv2ride_bikes
04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
You sound like you are probably 18 or 19 and is sponging off your parents. Not sure if you are in school or not, but if you are not, then you should be paying room and board. A fair amount would be $500 to $600 per month. Maybe this is what your parents are doing already is taking away your room and board from your wage. If they , then they should tell you about it. You said that your mom doesn't cook for you, but do you use their food when making your own meals?

Super_Geo
04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I should have made $7056.

So in total I spent $4950.

They wont pay me claiming I get paid with things. Well that doesn't work.

Yes

Yes

$2106 differential split between:
- 12 months worth of rent
- 12 months worth of utilities
- CPP/EI deductions

Seems like you're getting off pretty easy... I wouldn't mind paying $176/month for rent, utils and CPP/EI.

So your options are either:
A) Stop whining.
or
B) Go find an employer who hasn't breast fed you and who spent the past 18 years spending money on you to ensure that you can feel as entitled as you're feeling right now.

topmade
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
If they say you are getting paid with "things", then bring to their attention your list of things you have listed above. It could be as simple as maybe they don't realize how much you've worked there vs how much you are getting back. Also ask what they consider are things they are paying for. Maybe they are considering rent, food, utils, allowance?? etc... Who pays for insurance on your car?

aklalani
04-27-2009, 11:28 AM
In the end they are still your parents. Doesnt matter what they do or dont do, they brought you into this world and I think that cant be repaid in anyway. Just cut your losses and find another job. Only other thing i can think of is does your mom favor you or vice versa? Talk to the parent you feel more comfortable with.

jaylo
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Find that written agreement then you have leverage.

But if they pull out that "you are basically living here for free, and this is the return we get?!" card, then you are screwed.

I have been pulled this card so many times when I used to live at my parents' house. Even after moving out, they are still trying to "pay" for the support they provided.

masoncgy
04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Since this story does not make logical sense, I have a feeling there is a lot more to it than what is being disclosed...

Care to elaborate a little more on the details of your working arrangement and ALL of the material items that have been paid for and you are working off... just to start.

Jynx
04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Its a family business, kids are supposed to work for free. Shut your mouth and be a man.

stevieo
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Jynx
Its a family business, kids are supposed to work for free. Shut your mouth and be a man.

werd haha
i worked for free for a few years when i was growing up now my parents pay me whatever and they just cover the cost of what i need when i need it

yue
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
:facepalm:

gatorade
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by yue
:facepalm:

haha so according to that pic he works at serious pizza, and his parents own it

Jim Rome99
04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Take 'em to court or else shut up about it and get on with your life. If you spent all that money on a car and then more on stereo equipment then you can't be that hard up.

kamakurakid
04-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Live and learn, move out and start living and earning. Tell the boss you have moved on, come home for Sunday dinner, bring a gift, be nice and remember life is too long to stay pissed at your parents. You, they, who remembers the original deal? Move on.

HiTempguy1
04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
life is too long to stay pissed at your parents. You, they, who remembers the original deal? Move on.

Thats the dumbest thing (man, some of the posts in this thread are retarded) I've ever heard as well! Just because someone is family doesn't mean they get to treat you like a lesser being. Jesus, I'd hate to live/work with some of you people if I was related.

legendboy
04-28-2009, 10:21 AM
haha getting scammed by your parents?? they really must regret having you :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Dan Mahar. That name sounds familiar.

Team_Mclaren
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Thats the dumbest thing (man, some of the posts in this thread are retarded) I've ever heard as well! Just because someone is family doesn't mean they get to treat you like a lesser being. Jesus, I'd hate to live/work with some of you people if I was related.

yes he must be treated like shit because he gets to stay at their house or free.... and is short like 2k of "salary" in 6 months.... tough fucking life

Shunsui
04-29-2009, 02:09 AM
Creeped your page on Facebook...Your turning 20 soon, dude just suck it up end of the day it's your parents. No reason to fight over money, just take it and find another job, do you really want to go to court with your family over a few thousand dollars and lose your family?

/.02cents

Eleanor
04-29-2009, 05:15 PM
and if your going to say something stupid DON'T you're

911fever
04-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
I worked for my dad every Saturday all summer for a few years and in return he paid my insurance and I lived with my parents. I'm pretty sure I came out on top of that deal, sounds like you are too.

that's an awesome deal.

thetransporter
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
"work for parents" doesn't make sense. but everyone beat me to it. your mom held you in her belly for 9 months. and your acting like a mobster wanting your money.

are you 30 or 15?