PDA

View Full Version : The Hurt Locker

xLostx
04-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Pretty good movie, I really enjoyed it. Good amount of intense/action scenes throughout the movie, and it's modern day related so it's also interesting. Grabbed a torrent for it off demonoid that was great quality.

Trailer (http://movies.apple.com/movies/summit/thehurtlocker/thehurtlocker_480p.mov)

sl888
04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Trailer looks good. Downloaded it earlier. Watch it when I get time. Thanks

n1zm0
08-11-2009, 08:10 AM
thought i'd bump this movie as i think they've released it for theater screening recently iirc, heard an ad for it on the radio in van city last week.

great fken movie, doesn't go off like alot of other american war movies (supposedly based on the story and declassified info from a journalist embedded with an EOD team in Iraq during 2004 i think). really does a good job trying to put you in the situation of the characters and the feeling of serving in Iraq.

definitely worth watching!

GQBalla
08-11-2009, 09:04 AM
also went to see this 2 or 3 weeks ago.

and i found it really good.

it kinda reminded me of Jarhead but with killing and it was much better.

The main character is absolutely crazy though

Criticull
08-11-2009, 09:35 AM
awesome movie...they forget to blow up "The Ugly Truth" in it though.

Thomas Gabriel
08-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
it kinda reminded me of Jarhead but with killing and it was much better.

And it didn't have a huge liberal agenda.

beecue
08-11-2009, 03:45 PM
yeah it's pretty good .. been available online for like 8 months though

desto2para
08-11-2009, 04:04 PM
it was good...
i though it was funny :dunno:

Boat
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Great movie, expect to see an influx of bomb tech applications :rofl:

OCDP
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Awesome movie, definitely worth checking out.

Vagabond142
08-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Very intense movie. Very good relations with the soldiers of EOD too, nice look into their very very dangerous world. You'd kinda expect a bomb tech to be slightly nuts :P

DRKM
08-20-2009, 05:30 AM
One of my friends from Uni joined the Aramy and he is disarming bombs in Afganistan right now.

And yes he is mildly insane.

Very good movie. The director also did a HBO short series called Generation Kill. Also very good.

Love the direction and production.

403Gemini
08-20-2009, 09:43 AM
This was a great movie! Definitely recommend people seeing it. 2009 is starting to shape up and put out some decent stuff now

AaronK
08-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Cant wait to see this movie. Going tonight....

Godfuader
03-08-2010, 01:04 AM
*BUMP...after Oscar Win*

I thought it was a decent movie, but Best Picture? That is pushing it. :thumbsdow

msommers
03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Which movie should have won best picture then?

At any rate, the movie does an exceptional job at giving viewers a decent feeling with respect to how much shit those boys have to put up with every single day.

JAYMEZ
03-08-2010, 10:07 AM
^^ I thought Avatar would by making the most money of all time...

never heard of this movie till the oscars , I think Ill check it out.

mr2mike
03-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I thought this movie was too old to go into the Oscars for this year.
Released to international film festivals in 2008
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887912/releaseinfo

Not to sound like an ass but I think this also has a lot to do with keeping American's thinking positive about the war. If it was released in a peaceful time and the US wasn't at war, another movie would have won.

But I did think the director's response was excellent and her speech was great and sincere.

HungryJack
03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DRKM
One of my friends from Uni joined the Aramy and he is disarming bombs in Afganistan right now.

And yes he is mildly insane.

Very good movie. The director also did a HBO short series called Generation Kill. Also very good.

Love the direction and production.

While I also love Generation Kill, Kathryn Bigelow had nothing to do with it.

bubbley
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Damn, James Cameron got beat out by his ex-wife!

JAYMEZ
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
Damn, James Cameron got beat out by his ex-wife!

No doubt.. But when it comes to it .. He missed winning a stupid little golden statue , and he is now laughing to the bank with his new success... IMO the people have spoken , and we all paid to go see his movie..

bubbley
03-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

No doubt.. But when it comes to it .. He missed winning a stupid little golden statue , and he is now laughing to the bank with his new success... IMO the people have spoken , and we all paid to go see his movie..

For sure..but definitely has to sting a bit ;)

HungryJack
03-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he'd said he wanted her to win.

b_t
03-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I am pissed this movie won Best Picture. It is one of the most overrated movies I have seen in my entire life.. not terrible, by any means, but I'd describe it as "instantly forgettable"

I totally do not understand why the critics all have such a huge boner for this flick.

TeamBestBud
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
when it comes to it .. He missed winning a stupid little golden statue , and he is now laughing to the bank

Exactly what I was thinking and what it looked like he was thinking.

PureDeXteritY
03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by b_t
I am pissed this movie won Best Picture. It is one of the most overrated movies I have seen in my entire life.. not terrible, by any means, but I'd describe it as "instantly forgettable"

I totally do not understand why the critics all have such a huge boner for this flick.

couldn't have said it better myself so I won't
i'll just give it one of these...:werd:

Jetta-2.0
03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.divxlink.com/r00k52f01rj7/hurtlocker.avi.html#

mushi_mushi
03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I watched it and also thought it was pretty good. Im not sure if it deserves best picture, but I cant remember that many good movies in 2009. For those of you that think it shouldnt have won, what would you pick?

pyroza
03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
What else would have won in its place? No way would Avatar have won; it was only nominated because of its popularity. I personally wanted Inglourious Basterds to win, but I also knew it wouldn't.

b_t
03-08-2010, 06:35 PM
I kinda wanted to see Avatar win. It looks stunning but the acting and dialog in a few parts is just too weak.. it should have won the trophy, but not because it was a Good Movie.

I'm with mushi mushi. Not a great year for movies..

01RedDX
03-08-2010, 06:59 PM

heavyD
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by b_t

I thought Hurt Locker was good not great. IMO Inglourious Basterds or District Nine were far more deserving. I would have even picked Avatar over it but I guess the critics saw something in this film that moviegoers didn't. Hurt Locker just adds to the list of massively overrated Oscar winning flicks like Chicago, Shakespear in Love, Titanic, The English Patient, Chariots of Fire, etc.

mushi_mushi
03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Everybody's taste in movies is different, but personally I think both district 9 and inglorious bastards are overrated. I give kudos to district 9 for being different, but in terms of the actual movie, I dont think it is worthy of the high praise it got, I think its an average or slightly below average sci fi flick. As far as inglorious bastards, im not sure what the point of that movie was. I like action/violence in my movies as much as the next guy but by the end of that movie I had my WTF face on. Some people will just like anything tarenteno releases. While the guy has made some decent movies in his long career, I dont think he ever made anything oscar worthy.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
03-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by mushi_mushi
Everybody's taste in movies is different, but personally I think both district 9 and inglorious bastards are overrated. I give kudos to district 9 for being different, but in terms of the actual movie, I dont think it is worthy of the high praise it got, I think its an average or slightly below average sci fi flick. As far as inglorious bastards, im not sure what the point of that movie was. I like action/violence in my movies as much as the next guy but by the end of that movie I had my WTF face on. Some people will just like anything tarenteno releases. While the guy has made some decent movies in his long career, I dont think he ever made anything oscar worthy.

I agree, with District 9 being not so great.
Inglorious Basterds however, was an AWESOME flick. The story in it wasn't what made the movie awesome. It was the quality of the acting and the directing that made it so good. The script was quite well written as well.

jonnycat
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by b_t

:werd: It could have won for best cinematography, but thats it.

Out of all the movies, District 9 was by far my personal favourite, but I haven't seen Avatar yet.

bubbley
03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

:werd: It could have won for best cinematography, but thats it.

Out of all the movies, District 9 was by far my personal favourite, but I haven't seen Avatar yet.

You're missing out..Avatar was great and so was District 9..hmmm now that I think about it they share similar messages in both movies.

jonnycat
03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
I want to see Avatar, just need to lock down a baby sitter.

403Gemini
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
I want to see Avatar, just need to lock down a baby sitter.

Aside from visual effects, you're not missing much. IMO a movie shouldn't rely on a gimmick to get my ass in the seat, I learned that the hard way by seeing Avatar :(

b_t
03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Aside from visual effects, you're not missing much. IMO a movie shouldn't rely on a gimmick to get my ass in the seat, I learned that the hard way by seeing Avatar :(

Its true.. I still love Avatar and saw it seven times in theaters but it would have been nice if the acting and dialog were as good as the visuals. I still think the story is totally fine, if a little cliche, but they could have done a lot more with it

JAYMEZ
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I just watched this movie from the link above...

7/10... Im sorry but this is not better than Avatar in any means... Seems like the academy made it win because its about Iraq...

kertejud2
03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Was the Hurt Locker the best movie of the year? No.

Was it better than Avatar, which would have won otherwise? Absolutely.

It was a bad year for "best picture" type movies, a bunch of entertaining and dazzling ones, but none I'd really be willing to call a 'best' by any means.

Xtrema
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
When it comes to best director/picture, it's more a displace of politics than anything else.

I hated last year's winner too. Should have been Dark Knight.

All those stucked up voters are not going after popular vote to show that they are better than everyone else.

mr2mike
03-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
When it comes to best director/picture, it's more a displace of politics than anything else.

+1

heavyD
03-10-2010, 03:50 PM

All those stucked up voters are not going after popular vote to show that they are better than everyone else.

Yes. That's why I take the Oscars with a grain of salt. They do get it right sometimes but a lot of it has to do with politics and elitism.

Eleanor
03-10-2010, 04:59 PM
The whole point of the Oscars is that the people in the movie industry get their vote, rather than the people.

There's a number of reasons Avatar didn't win. The story had been done time and time again, the script was fairly weak, and the acting was mediocre at best.

You can't say that Avatar should've won because it's made the most money. In that case, why weren't Twilight or Transformers 2 nominated?

The Oscar's aren't about what was the most entertaining movie of the year. That's for the box office to decide.

At the end of the day, JAYMEZ is right, James Cameron can run home crying to his pile of money.

pyroza
03-10-2010, 09:05 PM

The chances of a summer blockbuster winning best picture is practically zero. Dark Knight and Iron Man were both excellent movies, but those types just aren't nominated.

Oh, and remember that Avatar already won best picture back in 1990 under a different name ;)

heavyD
03-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
The whole point of the Oscars is that the people in the movie industry get their vote, rather than the people.

There's a number of reasons Avatar didn't win. The story had been done time and time again, the script was fairly weak, and the acting was mediocre at best.

You can't say that Avatar should've won because it's made the most money. In that case, why weren't Twilight or Transformers 2 nominated?

The Oscar's aren't about what was the most entertaining movie of the year. That's for the box office to decide.

At the end of the day, JAYMEZ is right, James Cameron can run home crying to his pile of money.

Well it's not that Avatar didn't win. It's that a good but not great movie won. I liked it and all but you can't tell me that the Hurt Locker is the best movie released in 2009 because it isn't.

msommers
03-11-2010, 10:06 AM
^^Agree to some extent. 2009 has been overall a shit year for movies. What would you have chose to be in its place?

Hakkola
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by msommers
^^Agree to some extent. 2009 has been overall a shit year for movies. What would you have chose to be in its place?

I'm a big action movie, military buff etc. and even I wouldn't pick Hurt Locker, I'd take Up in the Air, or Up over Hurt.

jsn
03-11-2010, 10:16 PM
It was a decent movie, but it's not even a movie I'd care to watch twice, and I'm a fan of war movies. "B_T" said it right when he said the movie was instantly forgettable. I watched it a few months ago and haven't given it a second thought until i heard it won an award.

Avatar was a great movie, but the story definitely was not good enough to win best picture.

2009 was pretty hurting in terms of competition though.

heavyD
03-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I'm a big action movie, military buff etc. and even I wouldn't pick Hurt Locker, I'd take Up in the Air, or Up over Hurt.

Those two and Inglourious Basterds were all superior movies. I can only come to the conclusion that there were internal politics (a collective push to reward Kathryn Bigelow) within the Academy that contributed to the Hurt Locker winning.

JAYMEZ
03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Those two and Inglourious Basterds were all superior movies. I can only come to the conclusion that there were internal politics (a collective push to reward Kathryn Bigelow) within the Academy that contributed to the Hurt Locker winning.

I agree. They emphasized so much that ether a women or a black man would win.. It made it pretty obvious after that statement

dandia89
03-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I definitely agree that this year was a shitty year for movies. I didn't feel any emotion leaving avatar or the hurt locker. I'm not sure on the reason, but I think Moon would of definitely been a good candidate for the oscars, that movie was pretty awesome