PDA

View Full Version : Any road bikers on Beyond?

urban.one
04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Any one?

Share your favorite rides or info on good shops...

Kennyredline
04-27-2009, 01:41 PM
I have a 2001 Devinci Chicane...lower-end road bike, but it'd been very reliable; I've only had to replace the tires, usually new ones every other season.
I like to ride the backroads southeast of the city, sometimes hitting strathmore via Glenmore. It's pretty flat, but it's a nice quiet ride. Sometimes i do a Springbank-Cochrane-Sarcee Trail loop...that's a good workout.

swak
04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
I now ride a CAAD9-5.
Wicked bike, no problems.

My fav. shop is Eurotech, privately owned, Ron and his wife are wicked people, and have pretty dece. prices and selection.
A close second is BowCycle, all around outstanding service, even when they are up to their nose in customers... They know how to treat their customers.

I enjoy the highway (1A) out to Cochrane.

Its rad to see the cycling forum now...

Thanks Beyond.

Beyond group ride this summer anybody??? Yes??

craigcd
04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I have been thinking about getting a road bike and giving it a shot. I just cant get my head around riding down busy roads with traffic and sucking exhaust fumes. :dunno:

swak
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Truth is, most drivers in the city are pricks towards cyclists.

But other than that i would highly recommend wrapping your head around the idea and going with it.

I live around sait, and it takes me longer to drive to Mt. Royal than it does to ride.

98type_r
04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Panorama Hills to Chestermere and back via the irrigation canal, ~90km round trip.
Outside of the city, hwy 66 from Bragg Creek to the Little elbow turnaround. That one is hilly but great ride, about 60km or so. If you're feeling adventurous, start at Westhills.
Right now I'm loving the section of the ring road north of Panorama/Coventry Hills. You can ride that up to the Beacon hills Costco and back. It's nice having a strip of pavement that is 3 lanes wide to yourself.

Lanks
05-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Panorama Hills to Chestermere and back via the irrigation canal, ~90km round trip.
Outside of the city, hwy 66 from Bragg Creek to the Little elbow turnaround. That one is hilly but great ride, about 60km or so. If you're feeling adventurous, start at Westhills.
Right now I'm loving the section of the ring road north of Panorama/Coventry Hills. You can ride that up to the Beacon hills Costco and back. It's nice having a strip of pavement that is 3 lanes wide to yourself.

Where is this irrigation canal? what is the ride like?

98type_r
05-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Lanks

Where is this irrigation canal? what is the ride like?

It's starts at about the Max Bell arena and winds all the way out towards Chestermere.
I typically ride the pathway from Panorama along Nose Creek towards the zoo, cross the bridge over the creek under Memorial Drive. Take the path on the west side of the river until you get to 17th Ave S and cross the river again. From there you'll ride past the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and head south until Ogden Road. Cross the river again at Ogden road and ride to 50th Ave S. At 50th Ave there is a bridge over the train tracks and the canal, from the bridge you can see the pathway to your right. Once you get onto this section of pathway it'll take you all the way to Glenmore.

At Glenmore trail there is a bit of a detour, just stay on the path along Glenmore to the Glenmore/Ogden road intersection, cross Glenmore trail and you'll see the path again. From there it's straight to Chestermere, only need to slow down or stop to cross the occasional road if there is no under pass.

The pathway along the irrigation canal is dead flat and pretty deserted, so you can get up to a pretty good speed along there without having to worry about anything.

ckangarloo
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Road to Nepal was my favorite ride in Calgary. South of 22X, take 37th St all the way down (hwy 773, new pavement!). Rides around Millarville, black diamond/turner valley, bragg creek are the places to be.

North of the city, the ride to Madden is good, especially the part on Big Hill Springs road.

The ride to Chestermere is dead flat, not very exciting and can have some wicked headwinds on the way home. Kinda cool though. Good to check out.

Really, road biking is all about exploring. Giver'!

flipstah
05-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm usually a road cyclist and I have a vintage Kuwahara Classic(?) road bike. I'm fixing it up because two years ago, I fell off of it and broke my jaw. Today, I rode again after two years and found out a couple of things:

- The front gears won't shift.
- Brakes are still okay but needs changing
- Tires are worn out (which makes sense since it's probably older than me.)
- My face saved the bike. Not a single scratch! :rofl:

I'm planning to buy a new mountain bike and just get this fixed or donate it to the UofC bike club if fixing it gets pricey.

Cword
05-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I'm usually a road cyclist and I have a vintage Kuwahara Classic(?) road bike. I'm fixing it up because two years ago, I fell off of it and broke my jaw. Today, I rode again after two years and found out a couple of things:

- The front gears won't shift.
- Brakes are still okay but needs changing
- Tires are worn out (which makes sense since it's probably older than me.)
- My face saved the bike. Not a single scratch! :rofl:

I'm planning to buy a new mountain bike and just get this fixed or donate it to the UofC bike club if fixing it gets pricey.

Go Fixed, then you don't need the shifters or brakes.