PDA

View Full Version : Integra Brake Issues

Ldeibert
04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
So I was doing a routine pad/rotor change on the rear of my 94 Integra and had no issues on the passenger side rear brakes..

Then when I tried to retract the drivers rear piston it would spin, but would not retract! I continued to try and turn it in (clockwise) and push while I was doing it, etc... But to no avail.

Then I saw on a RSX site that a guy said the passenger side piston gets rotated clockwise, and the driver's side gets rotated COUNTER-clockwise. Or as he said, they get rotated towards the front of the car.

After I rotated the piston counter clockwise it is messed up! It will not retract at all, and it seems to have popped out further than it ever was before...

What should I do?? Is the caliper f'd up? Or should I take the caliper off the car and try to retract the piston with all the brake fluid out of the caliper?

Mr_ET
04-27-2009, 05:51 PM
have you tried just pushing it in using a c clamp? I have never heard of anyone rotating the piston in the caliper to help it go back in. I would think that would affect the rubber seal around it.

crapstixs
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
the parking prake is a integral park of the rear caliper, you have to rotate it clockwise wile pushing it in. there is a tool for it that you can rent. this style of caliper is very prone to seizing. after the pison has been poped you can put it back in but there is a chance that it will leak. i would replace the calaper. there retarted expencive.

YamahaV8
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah I had the exact same problem on my drivers rear calper on my sho. I had to eventually get the proper tool that fits in the piston grooves to turn it and had to smack it a couple of times to looses it up. I don't know about integras but both of my rear pistons rotated clockwise to go back in. When you rotated it counter clockwise it probably came out because of the ratchet system that the park brake uses. Did you try cycling your park brake a couple of times?

drtoohotty1
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
there retarted expencive.

quoted for awesomeness :thumbsup:

Ldeibert
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Well I removed the caliper from the car so I could get some good leverage on the piston while I was turning it in and it retracted.

For the record, don't turn the piston counter-clockwise... It was a pain in the ass. Also, be weary of what you listen to on the internet even if it is an "automotive tech" giving the advice.