PDA

View Full Version : Best GM service in Calgary?

bigbadboss101
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Which shops have you had good experience with? I have a Caddy and the first time I took the car in to this dealership they didn't find anything wrong with my parking brakes but did change me for a brake diagnosis. Today I took the car in as it was making noise over bumps, braking and accelerating. I suggested that it can be front suspension parts, or the engine mount might have collapsed.
They phoned back saying it'll be best to take it for a test drive. I figure they would take it around the shop and find the noise pretty easy.

Anyways my cracked tail light (minor) was quoted ~$800. Have a power steering leak (have to refill every few weeks) and they said leaks from the pressure hose and the rack boot? No noise or driveability problem. Quote $2033.

Whoa!

KyleTA
04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
where did you take it before?

masoncgy
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Stampede GM is pretty decent...

I experienced debacle after debacle with CMP Classic, so I checked out Stampede as another option and have had nothing but timely, efficient service at this location.

My roommate also uses it and no problems from his end either.

Give them a shot.

bigbadboss101
04-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Anyways got car in this morning at about 7:15am. To do list:

- front end noise, I suspected suspension or engine mount.
They heard some noise but don't know exactly which one
I was referring to.

- tail light crack. $800+ quote so I skipped.

- PS leak. $2000 quote. Car drives fine, no noise, friction,
but only need to top up every few weeks. It gets as low
as the low part of the reservoir.

- Also asked to change air and fuel filter, plus one brake
light. The little stuff I could have done myself but I figured
since I have the car in I might as well have them do them
all.

At 4:23pm they did replace the brake light.
Fuel filter was about to be put in, and air filter they had to order from Edmonton.

So basically the two days that I spent between the two visits the things that got done were the brake lights and the fuel filter.:banghead:

CMW403
04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
my dad has always dealt well with the guys at the northwest dealership. not sure if its called stampede GM or what

crapstixs
04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
good service and gm. thats a good joke.

KyleTA
04-27-2009, 09:31 PM
good service and "dealership" is a joke, not just GM

Graham_A_M
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
good service and gm. thats a good joke.

yeah, one of the reasons I opted not to go with a GM this time around:nut:
Stampede is good.

Shaw, CMP, Airdrie, Southland are dealerships that are fucking awful, avoid at all costs.

corsvette
04-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Shaganappi has allways been very good to me in service.

4DoorGTZ
04-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I've been pleased with the service at Shaganappi Pointiac/Buick (Formerly MaKay) but only ever had an oil change there. Southgate did an ok job replacing my diff/axles and a later diff fluid change, no muss no fuss, but was kinda sky high on the labor.

badatusrnames
04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Jack Carter?

hampstor
04-28-2009, 12:09 AM
never dealt with service depts, but parts depts at both jack carter and shagginappi have been excellent to me. Very helpful and not your smart ass parts guy that has to correct you when you've called a molding by a differnent name than what's in the system (cough, canyon creek toyota, cough).

From the sales side, i will never go back to CMP. I was in there to look at a truck, 3 sales guys standing around chatting, looking at me, then continuing with their convo. I decided that i'd rather own a Ford than buy a GM from CMP.

Masked Bandit
04-28-2009, 06:09 AM
I've had good luck with the South Shaganappi (formerly MacKay).

Diocletian
04-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Jack Carter?

I wouldn't go there. The place isn't very well run and has some very poor techs working in the back.

bigbadboss101
04-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Do the other GM shops charge an inspection fee?
Last time my parking braking wasn't engaging and they told me there is a $62.50 inspection fee where they will check the braking system. Same holds true for electrical etc.
This time I wanted them to check out the PS leak, and replace the right tail lights. I decided not to go with the PS fix as it was $2000+ and car drives fine, no noise or strange behaviours from the steering. I also decided not to have them change the tail lights as it was almost $800. They did charge me $62.50 for electrical system inspection. I would have made a fuss but my gf was with me and I thought na, don't worth the $62.50.

When I had my Acura the service person would also go over the bill with me. The gal at the GM counter just told me the cost.

Proboscis
05-01-2009, 01:12 AM
GSL

Enhance
05-01-2009, 01:35 AM
I take mine to shaganappi north, and I suppose they are good enough to warrant not driving any further south.

They were however nice enough to pull the pebbles out of the treads in my front tires for $60 without even a courtesy call. Also tried to blame my CAI for a rattle in the sunroof...?

Xtrema
05-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Shaganappi runs a good shop.

ShermanEF9
05-01-2009, 01:44 PM
southgate isn't too bad from what i hear... they do really bad bodywork though.

ExtraSlow
01-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Bump from the dead. Need a GM dealer to look at the alarm on my sweet 2006 Pontiac Wave. Joe at Autotech told me to go to the dealer.

If Shaganappi is still good, they are kinda close to me.

Hallowed_point
01-02-2014, 11:04 AM
^^I'd recommend GSL..talk to James (Twin Cam Turbo) I'd strongly advise AGAINST Jack Carter due to personal bad experiences.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Factory alarm on your Wave? Do you have a problem where it goes off randomly?

ExtraSlow
01-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Not sure if I'd call it random, seems like it goes off every ten minutes or so. We just leave it unlocked now. Who the hell would break into a wave?

ExtraSlow
01-02-2014, 02:45 PM
James, if you know about this issue, PM me your number, I'd like to chat.

Offroad
01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
This happened in my Camaro.....what it was ,was condensation build up in the shock sensor housing.

Found the shock sensor....unplugged it,waited.......no alarm going off.

So problem diagnosed I pulled shock sensor apart and found water shorting out sensor circuit board, cleaned it out and wiped with WD40 and been good as gold since.
:bigpimp:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-02-2014, 03:49 PM
It's probably the hood latch sensor, most common I see. Thinks someone is trying to open the hood when the cars locked.

Zhariak
01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm going to have to chime in and recommend CMP Classic in the north.

Sales and Service there absolutely ROCK!

Staff is friendly, managers/foremen are great! I live down in the far S.E. but always take the hike up there just because it's worth it 100%. I wouldn't take my vehicles anywhere else.

avow
01-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Shaganappi's service department treated me very badly on work I recently had done. I wouldn't go back to them, vehicle had to be towed twice and had to sit there for 3 weeks because they messed up on a seal, then ordered the wrong replacement.

ExtraSlow
01-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Booked in to GSL for next week. James didn't take my call, but two cute sounding chicks were a good substitute.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Booked in to GSL for next week. James didn't take my call, but two cute sounding chicks were a good substitute.

Sorry mate, wasn't at work today, had the day off to go skiing :)

Which day are you coming in?

ExtraSlow
01-03-2014, 07:15 PM
pm'ed. How was the snow?

rc2002
01-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Haven't had any great experiences at GSL. I brought the car in for a sunroof recall and they told me they would order the part and let me know when it came in. The recall was open for 2 years (I asked every few months and was always told they were working on it). I ended up selling the car (in a large part due to GSL service) and it still wasn't taken care of.

Also there was almost 50km put on my car to diagnose squealing/clicking upon low speed startup (from a stop to 5km/h). Felt like a bit of a joyride to me because there was a broken clutch spring on the floor after that service which they covered under warranty. That was the only time anything was covered under warranty. Warranty is a joke there - nothing is covered, even issues that are well documented and that have been covered for others when I did some research online. I paid for services and diagnostics that should have been covered under warranty.

I made an appointment for an oil change and had to bring the car in 3 separate times for them to get it done because they were so busy.

I don't want to paint all gm dealerships with a single brush, but if one dealership can get away with service like that, obviously head office is not doing something right. I decided to never buy a gm vehicle again.

The_Penguin
01-04-2014, 02:02 PM
I've been happy with Jack Carter so far myself.

Would not go to Shaganappi due to getting royally boned by their body shop a while ago. Manager was in bed with one of the insurance adjusters and really tried to screw us over. Quality of work between the front and back were night and day (different insurance companies).
Complained to the manager, owner, no help.

After a scathing letter to the BBB cc: to CFCN news, suddenly they fixed everything the way it should have been.

swak
01-05-2014, 12:48 PM
James at GSL is a great guy - never had the chance to go bring anything to him though, just out of my way unfortunately...

I do all my service for the most part at Shaganappi though, never had an issue... Great shop.

Sentry
01-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
Very helpful and not your smart ass parts guy that has to correct you when you've called a molding by a differnent name than what's in the system (cough, canyon creek toyota, cough).[/B]
Haha, I get that shit all the time from my own parts guys. Toyota has their own stupid names for everything.

Graham_A_M
01-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by swak
James at GSL is a great guy - never had the chance to go bring anything to him though, just out of my way unfortunately...

I do all my service for the most part at Shaganappi though, never had an issue... Great shop.

Yeah I've had good luck with Shag.... my only bitch was last time I was there. (Id do the oil changes myself, but lack the place to do so). So I had them do it for me. Normally when its done they come and get me at the customer waiting area. They said an hour, okay... so I wait an hour, then its two hours... I finally ask what the status is on my car, and they said it was ready to go an hour ago. :nut: Um what? I asked why I wasn't notified.... "oh, I thought someone did"..... :facepalm: No, I was 15 feet from the counter, no keys were brought up to my knowledge or anything...

So I got a free oil change voucher as a result... but still. That whole fiasco screwed up my after noon

CMP and GSL sound interesting, perhaps I'll give both a try at some point.

Sugarphreak
01-25-2014, 07:06 PM

sidewaysD
01-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Not that pleased with Shaw today...

I wanted to pick up either a generic block heater or plug for the hole (the existing one is leaking like mad), my understanding is that a lot of cars made by GM around the same era of my Isuzu have the same size heater (maybe, I don't know for certain, but as an example the Chevy Spectum has the exact same motor). Anyway, Shaw has advertising as an Isuzu dealer, so I figured I would try my luck and see if they had something that would work.

So they asked for the year, make and model which is pretty standard... and then the VIN number. Huh... VIN number? I don't exactly have that memorized. So they stopped, told me I'd have to go home and get the VIN number before we could continue.

I have to be honest, I've never been required to provide a VIN number to order a part... ever... for any car. Is this there way of telling me indirectly to fuck off, or do people who order parts from Shaw actually have to provide their vehicle VIN number?

^^ Common these days as the VIN has information about your engine, color, manufacturer location, parts associated to that model whether its 4wd drive or 2wd etc etc.

Most online parts catalog requires you to confirm the first 4 or so numbers in your VIN.

Like i mean yeah.. he could of searched year, make, model, trim and found a plug.. i guess they are getting to many part returns or wrong parts ordered etc. That is why I always carry both of my car insurance slips in my wallet in case I get asked for a VIN# for parts on one of my cars I am working on.

FraserB
01-26-2014, 06:02 PM
It really makes it fun trying to get parts off one vehicle for use on a completely different one. Had issues with this before, even giving them an exact part number they tried to force a VIN for a vehicle I didn't own.

TomcoPDR
01-26-2014, 10:22 PM

I wanted to pick up either a generic block heater or plug for the hole (the existing one is leaking like mad), my understanding is that a lot of cars made by GM around the same era of my Isuzu have the same size heater (maybe, I don't know for certain, but as an example the Chevy Spectum has the exact same motor). Anyway, Shaw has advertising as an Isuzu dealer, so I figured I would try my luck and see if they had something that would work.

So they asked for the year, make and model which is pretty standard... and then the VIN number. Huh... VIN number? I don't exactly have that memorized. So they stopped, told me I'd have to go home and get the VIN number before we could continue.

I have to be honest, I've never been required to provide a VIN number to order a part... ever... for any car. Is this there way of telling me indirectly to fuck off, or do people who order parts from Shaw actually have to provide their vehicle VIN number?

But don't you carry registration or insurance on you or on the vehicle?

FraserB
01-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

But don't you carry registration or insurance on you or on the vehicle?

Non-running project car.

Zhariak
01-27-2014, 07:01 AM

This VIN allows them to confirm compatibility... If you went in and knew the exact part number of the item you wanted, they probably would have asked you if you wanted to confirm with the VIN, or not at all.

However if you're looking for an item, and don't know the Part#, they'll ask for the VIN for compatibility.

It's pretty standard...

Graham_A_M
01-27-2014, 07:42 AM
^ Yeah by using the VIN, they can literally use that to break down the exact build sheet of the car, stating exactly what engine was used, what tranny, what rear end, which plant it was built in, and so on and on. The VIN looks like just letters and numbers, but to anyone with a manufacturers break down list as to what all that comprises, it'll tell you/them everything anyone would want to know about it. Although strung out options such as if it has NAV or not (and that sort of thing) it usually doesn't go into detail about.

tirebob
01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
The problem with all dealerships is staff turnover. Today there is a great service adviser on the counter but tomorrow they will be somewhere else... I usually suggest finding an individual you find works well with you, and if they move, consider following them as most of the good guys don't leave the industry when they go... They just switch dealerships.

If you are looking for a service guy who everyone I know who has a GM now uses and has nothing but great things to say, talk to Mike Cautley at Jack Carter (previously of GSL). He is a good buddy of mine and a bit of name dropping won't hurt...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by tirebob
The problem with all dealerships is staff turnover. Today there is a great service adviser on the counter but tomorrow they will be somewhere else... I usually suggest finding an individual you find works well with you, and if they move, consider following them as most of the good guys don't leave the industry when they go... They just switch dealerships.

If you are looking for a service guy who everyone I know who has a GM now uses and has nothing but great things to say, talk to Mike Cautley at Jack Carter (previously of GSL). He is a good buddy of mine and a bit of name dropping won't hurt...

Mike was the guy I replaced, is he still down at Carters?

Wannago
01-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Jack Carter?

Avoid them at all costs!

I've had MANY issues with them. Example, repaired a small oil pan leak. I specifically waited until my oil life monitor was less than 10% to have them do the work. When I dropped it off, I specifically told them that I waited because it was time for an oil change anyway.

They repaired the leak (actually they failed to, and I had to have GSL do it) and did the oil change but re-used the old filter.

I went to them because they are very close to my house, but now have my V serviced at GSL. Go see James there, he'll take good care of you.

Hallowed_point
01-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Wannago
RE: Jack Carter

Avoid them at all costs!

I've had MANY issues with them. Example, repaired a small oil pan leak. I specifically waited until my oil life monitor was less than 10% to have them do the work. When I dropped it off, I specifically told them that I waited because it was time for an oil change anyway.

They repaired the leak (actually they failed to, and I had to have GSL do it) and did the oil change but re-used the old filter.

I went to them because they are very close to my house, but now have my V serviced at GSL. Go see James there, he'll take good care of you.

x1000 on avoid Jack Carter. They tried (& failed) to rip me off on an a/c repair. Short version is their tech didn't do a proper inspection , refilled it. Freon leaked out in under 1 year (1 year GM warranty on service) and then they tried to weasel out a bill for over $200 to tell me that the tech found the leaking pipe this time and that was over $400 and they'd have to order it in blah blah blah. I didn't pay a penny of that bill and took my car. They told me that the service manager would call me the next day to discuss it..never happened. I saved that work order , in fact I might frame it. It was a victory in my books ;) Very dishonest service at Jack Carter in my experience.

I also would recommend GSL after dealing with James.

tirebob
01-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Mike was the guy I replaced, is he still down at Carters? ahaha! Small world... Yeah he is. He was off for a bit because of a surgery but should be back now.

andyg16
10-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Bumping an old thread, since dealerships always have mixed reviews and staff is always changing... What is the current most recommended GM dealership for service? Anyone on beyond work at any of them?