PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy: Pure cranberry juice

ExtraSlow
04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I've noticed that's it's impossible to find pure cranberry juice in grocery stores anymore. A buddy of mine said something about it being "illegal" to sell pure juice, but I think that's bullshit and he's an idiot, so I don't trust him.
Does anyone know where to buy pure, 100% cranberry juice in Calgary? Not mixed with other juices, like grape, prune, or pomegranate. No added sugar.
this seems like it's such a simple thing, but it's defeated me for weeks now.

if you know of some, please post brand and store where it's sold. price would also be helpful.

lelalong
04-27-2009, 11:29 PM
i've actually seen pure cranberry juice at london drugs on 130th ave SE with the breakfast foods. weird to see it there and not a grocery store :dunno:

schocker
04-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Check with the organic stuff in a grocery store:dunno:

bignerd
04-27-2009, 11:55 PM
I've seen pure cranberry juice extract that is concentrated at health food stores. You just add water-it is NOT sweetened at all either.

Official Hoser
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Shoppers Drug Mart has it too (the unsweetened kind). The particular Shoppers I got it from was on Heritage and Fairmount Dr.

LadyLuck
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I buy the Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice, theres the concentrated stuff and theres theres the pure Cranberry Juice stuff (thats the one) and it has a bit of added sugar.

I get mine at Walmart, its just under 4 bucks for one of those bigger bottles.

sputnik
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I've noticed that's it's impossible to find pure cranberry juice in grocery stores anymore. A buddy of mine said something about it being "illegal" to sell pure juice, but I think that's bullshit and he's an idiot, so I don't trust him.
Does anyone know where to buy pure, 100% cranberry juice in Calgary? Not mixed with other juices, like grape, prune, or pomegranate. No added sugar.
this seems like it's such a simple thing, but it's defeated me for weeks now.

if you know of some, please post brand and store where it's sold. price would also be helpful.

Get the organic stuff from Safeway.

ExtraSlow
05-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Check with the organic stuff in a grocery store:dunno:
Originally posted by bignerd
I've seen pure cranberry juice extract that is concentrated at health food stores. You just add water-it is NOT sweetened at all either.
I've been in two health food stores this week, and both of them do sell 100% cranberry juice for $11 and$13 dollars per litre. This is insane and I can't afford it. It was not concentrated stuff either, just juice. Incidentally, other types of juice like 100% pure black cherry juice are only about $5 per lire for the same size and brand.

Originally posted by LadyLuck
I buy the Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice, theres the concentrated stuff and theres theres the pure Cranberry Juice stuff (thats the one) and it has a bit of added sugar.

I get mine at Walmart, its just under 4 bucks for one of those bigger bottles.
Originally posted by sputnik
Get the organic stuff from Safeway.
Are you sure that's only cranberry juice? Not Apple juice, grape juice with a little bit of cranberry added for flavour and colour? Check the ingredients for me if you have a chance. I've not been able to find anything sold in safeway or wal-mart that is 100 pure cranberry juice. it might have cranberry in it and be 1005 juice, but it's always mostly either apple or grape juice when you read the label.
maybe I have an unrealistic expectation that Cranberry juice should be as easily availible as other kinds of juices.

like mugatu said, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

TYMSMNY
05-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Tons of pure juices at Community Natural Foods or Planet Organic. Like you stated, expensive but way better than drinking juices from other stores filled with sugar + others.

Even then, you need to be careful as some of them are "juice from concentrate" or blends.

shadowz
05-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Ive seen it at coop next to the vitamins

ExtraSlow
05-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Tons of pure juices at Community Natural Foods or Planet Organic. Like you stated, expensive but way better than drinking juices from other stores filled with sugar + others.

Even then, you need to be careful as some of them are "juice from concentrate" or blends.
This thing that drives me crazy is that the Cranberry at the organic stores is 2 to 3 times more expensive than the other types of juice. I don't even know what a guava is, but it's juice is cheaper than cranberry.

CaptainReboot
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I've seen it at Co-op in the juice section. Pure cranberry juice is gross. Very bitter.

Ocean Spray is a cranberry cocktail, with like apple, and grape juice added to it to make it sweeter, .

z24_wheels
05-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Superstore Organics aisle. $7 for a 1L bottle of pure cranberry.

sputnik
05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

This thing that drives me crazy is that the Cranberry at the organic stores is 2 to 3 times more expensive than the other types of juice. I don't even know what a guava is, but it's juice is cheaper than cranberry.

That's because you need a LOT of cranberries to make enough juice to fill one bottle.

Cranberries on their own aren't that juicy.

The only reason that the Ocean Spray crap is a comparable price is that the juice is from concentrate and water and sugar is added after the fact.