PDA

View Full Version : FWD drift?

mutsuraboshi
10-22-2003, 05:35 PM
:( just a kid fooling around with his car and thot i pulled one off... but i guess not, cuz i got my frend to watch from the outside... and he sed it was just a hard turn with a wiggle from left to right at the rear, lol but inside the cabin it felt like my ass spun out beside me before countersteer... is there anything more than fast entry, gearing down, and yanking on ur hand brake? bleh... fwd's SUCK!

GTS Jeff
10-22-2003, 06:03 PM
u could also practice feint motion and trailbraking

buh_buh
10-22-2003, 06:05 PM
get some 225's on the front and 185's on the rear. :D

method
10-22-2003, 07:54 PM
you could also practice inertial drift chokudori ah so initial d noodle time!

Ekliptix
10-22-2003, 10:49 PM
I can do it.

no e-brake required.

Rwd is more fun for that though imo.

three.eighteen.
10-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
u could also practice feint motion and trailbraking

trailbraking makes the car more stable...and if you really wanna do it, go to any tire shop, see if theyll give you some bald-ass tires, have them mounted on steelies and put those on before drifting

GTS Jeff
10-23-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

trailbraking makes the car more stable...and if you really wanna do it, go to any tire shop, see if theyll give you some bald-ass tires, have them mounted on steelies and put those on before drifting well it really depends on how u trailbrake. adam manages to lock up his rear wheels in the corners with trailbraking in his fwd car, and not doubt the car would slide if pushed hard enough.

mutsuraboshi
10-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by method
you could also practice inertial drift chokudori ah so initial d noodle time!

haha u anime nerd

mutsuraboshi
10-23-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
I can do it.

no e-brake required.

Rwd is more fun for that though imo.

but is ur car fwd? u hafta lock sum wheels t do a drift...
i dont think just using the brakes would let u turn tho
woudlnt that just stop ur car?

anyways... the bald tires at the end sounds like a good plan
i kinda wish it will sno a bit soon. ice up the asphault a lil

mutsuraboshi
10-23-2003, 05:18 AM
well it really depends on how u trailbrake. adam manages to lock up his rear wheels in the corners with trailbraking in his fwd car, and not doubt the car would slide if pushed hard enough.

wuz dat and wuz feint motion

4wheeldrift
10-23-2003, 06:55 AM
well it really depends on how u trailbrake. adam manages to lock up his rear wheels in the corners with trailbraking in his fwd car, and not doubt the car would slide if pushed hard enough. You shouldn't be locking the wheels during trail braking. If you are still on the brakes hard enough after the turn-in point to lock them up, you aren't trailbraking, you just entered the corner way too fast to begin with.

4wheeldrift
10-23-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by mutsuraboshi

wuz dat and wuz feint motion Trail braking is gradually releasing the brakes after the turn-in point of a corner. It helps to smooth out weight transfer on corner entry, but until you get the hang of it it's a really fantastic way to end up backwards in the weeds.

Feint motion (in rallying it is often referred to as a "Scandinavian Flick") is giving the steering wheel a flick the opposite direction to the way you want to turn, then turning the way you want to go. This transfers the weight to the outside of the car first pre-setting the suspension, then the subsequent change of direction and accompanying weight transfer helps the car turn faster. It's not a technique that is commonly used on tarmac. (I hope I got this explanation half-way right. I know what is it, but explaining it is apparently beyond me at this hour of the morning).

Ekliptix
10-23-2003, 07:25 AM
This is as close as I got,

http://streetchallenge.com/uploadpix/up/Driftgif.gif

Tail braking, entering the turn to fast and braking hard at the 1st part of the turn. Counterster through it w/ gas on.

I think drifting is hyped up a lot, even though it's cool to watch and try.

three.eighteen.
10-23-2003, 02:37 PM

but is ur car fwd? u hafta lock sum wheels t do a drift...

well i guess in fwd you kinda have to, but sometimes getting drift is just a matter of knifing the clutch, in fact in mid-drift getting on the brakes may result in disaster...when drifting youre basically trying to upset the balance of the car and control it in that state

GTS Jeff
10-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
You shouldn't be locking the wheels during trail braking. If you are still on the brakes hard enough after the turn-in point to lock them up, you aren't trailbraking, you just entered the corner way too fast to begin with. err is there a term for that then?

alloroc
10-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Scandanavian flick.

Done before the turn. Watch FIA world rally championchips on tv.

Start on the outside line of the curve then before the corner whip (practiced on a WIDE road haha) to the inside line then straighten out, as you turn in, left foot brake a bit. This will start the ass end out, or in a SUV lift both inside tires off the ground! (do be responsible)

In a FWD car on pavement all you will do is initiate a shortlived controlled slide. On pavement, due to the traction of the back tires and the fact that you have to countersteer to remain on the curve you should recover in less than 90° of corner.

If you want to have fun drifting in a FWD the only way to go is the ole' cafeteria tray trick. Drive back wheels over trays engage E-brake and your set :nut:

Not drifting is faster around corners on pavement anyway.

jdmakkord
10-23-2003, 06:07 PM
the first time i did it was this one nite when me and my frend were down at the westhills mcdix
and sum white punx were inside talking about underglo and calling each other up at 2
i just have this rage against ppl that rice their cars out, especially white guys...
but i dont think its so mucha racist thing ANYWAYS
i got emotional after the mcdik cashier kid asked the other kid wat he drove
and the guy replied 'my baby' and walked outside to his fc
revving up the engine b4 he reversed out of teh parking lot.....
yes he revved, burnt out, then reversed it out
so me and my frend run out to my car so we could hassle him
and we catch up to him at the lites,
i was going straight and he was in the tunring lane with sumone ahead of him.
so i pull up and ask him if he wanted to go for a run in his 'baby'
and he sez it wasnt fair, i guess he thot i wanted to race him off the turning lites..... *cough*

so i asked him to follow me to another place nearby
and he agrees, and once the turning lite goes off this guy zooms away! :rolleyes: You are waaaaay too cool!!!

method
10-23-2003, 06:19 PM
yeah no shit... someone should take your licence away you dumbass...

^SkylinE^
10-23-2003, 06:34 PM
FOOL

4wheeldrift
10-23-2003, 07:30 PM
err is there a term for that then? If there's a technical term for it, I don't know what it is. I call it slow, personally :D

finboy
10-23-2003, 11:13 PM

i guess it was dumb, but i was just playing around.
but for callin dumbass, deew lay lo mo

here's one for you in english

learn how to drive you ricer :thumbsdow

T5_X
10-23-2003, 11:38 PM
dood, you sooo kewww, i hizzope i can bizee just like you one dizzay :clap:

method
10-24-2003, 12:09 AM
oh no, kiddies dissing me in cantonese.

whatever am I going to do?

.. you can throw insults around all you want, but you still can't drive :)

GTS Jeff
10-24-2003, 02:37 AM
i loose him for a while untill i see him turn away in the distance
cuz i had to catch up another way after he turned off that intersection
and i turn off my lites and catch up to him
i guess he saw me cuz he sped up and turned at the next corner
and thats when i slammed on the gas and pulled on that brake,
i turned on the outside lane of him and then cut him off from the outside to the inside,
the guy just slammed on his brakes so hard
there was alot of screeching tires...
anyways... fun stuff

so, just out of curiousity, are u between the ages 16-18?

If there's a technical term for it, I don't know what it is. I call it slow, personally :D

"drift" haha

4wheeldrift
10-24-2003, 06:43 AM

"drift" haha Like I said ;)

mutsuraboshi
10-24-2003, 07:07 AM
so, just out of curiousity, are u between the ages 16-18?

:16, shet im getting hammered by u guys.
werent u guys like that when u started driving?
sorri i got u all worked up.

GTS Jeff
10-24-2003, 10:29 AM

sorri i got u all worked up. yea man, when i first got my license, i was a jackass and i thought it was pretty cool to be some sorta streetracing-ninja in my moms 92 accord. i had a flickery green neon, a huge sub in the trunk, and some mugen seatbelt pads and i thought i was the shit. after a few close calls with barriers and whatnot i calmed down a bit. that, and i realized that its just not cool haha

at least ure decent enough take a beating from us and not spaz, props for that.

hjr
10-24-2003, 10:42 AM
If there's a technical term for it, I don't know what it is. I call it slow, personally :D hot. well, entering a corner too hot. hot is good. on the edge, but too hot is bad, generally accompained by understeer from heavy braking into a quick transition to oversteer (fr car generally). Or just understeer past the corner onto the grass or trees or wall or whatever. Of course im thinking gravel or ice, so it may be different on tarmac.

also:
Innertia drift = Scandinavian Flick = Pendulum Turn (how i say it)

i canna spell

hjr
10-24-2003, 10:45 AM
ya, when i lock up the back wheels, its from comming in too hot, or overspeed. no other way to say it. that and i dont want to find the cornering limit on my car too badly, so i get scared and brake hard into the corner, ruining momentum but still hitting the apex (geometric apex at least)

GTS Jeff
10-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by hjr
ya, when i lock up the back wheels, its from comming in too hot, or overspeed. no other way to say it. that and i dont want to find the cornering limit on my car too badly, so i get scared and brake hard into the corner, ruining momentum but still hitting the apex (geometric apex at least) fuckin scary when u do that haha

finboy
10-24-2003, 02:49 PM

sorri i got u all worked up.

our problem is that we have seen people like you on the road before, and some used to drive like you also. i've had friends who used to be "hardcore, f&f" style drivers, they all wound up getting into accidents, getting their licences suspended, and having huge insurance rate increases. luckily they didn't injure anyone.

the point is, if you enjoy driving, why risk having your licence taken away, having insurance so high you can't pay it, or even kill someone, jsut because you wanted to look cool in front of your buddies. :dunno: there is a reason that this site doesn't support street racing or driving like a jack ass.

if you really want to practice your driving tecniques, why not wait till winter, and go find an open parking lot with no cars or solid objects in your way, and then have a little fun. once summer rolls around, you could go out to solo II or secret street, where you would get proof of your time's, as well as meet many other skilled drivers.:thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
10-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by hjr
hot. well, entering a corner too hot. hot is good. on the edge, but too hot is bad, generally accompained by understeer from heavy braking into a quick transition to oversteer (fr car generally). Or just understeer past the corner onto the grass or trees or wall or whatever. Of course im thinking gravel or ice, so it may be different on tarmac.

also:
Innertia drift = Scandinavian Flick = Pendulum Turn (how i say it)

i canna spell Nope, too hot into a corner is too hot regardless of what surface you're on.

mutsuraboshi
10-25-2003, 12:45 AM
yea man, when i first got my license, i was a jackass and i thought it was pretty cool to be some sorta streetracing-ninja in my moms 92 accord. i had a flickery green neon, a huge sub in the trunk, and some mugen seatbelt pads and i thought i was the shit. after a few close calls with barriers and whatnot i calmed down a bit. that, and i realized that its just not cool haha

at least ure decent enough take a beating from us and not spaz, props for that.

i relly hate that showy shit. i want my car simple... i have a pic of wat i have in mind, but i cant seem to find that guy's lips anywhere off the net? but anyways thanx for the beating :devil:

mutsuraboshi
10-25-2003, 12:51 AM
i want to get a cf lip and hood, a F20B engine swap... the engine they had for the jdm accord siR with its manual tranmission cuz auto sux :p some rims, tires, and tokico suspension. shave the antenae and right side mirror... and strip the interior

im just gonna keep that ugly peice of metal
cuz i it will be hard for me to afford a new car to modify...
and, the car doesnt relly matter. as long as u kno how to drive it
isnt there a bmw racing school sumwhere in north america?
anyways... i hope to finish it by the time im 25

mutsuraboshi
10-25-2003, 12:53 AM
wat do u guys think?
ill just leave the car at w/e the f20b puts out
sumthin around 200hp? thats enough for calgary

hjr
10-25-2003, 04:54 PM
nice lip. i doo indeed like it. Im a lip fan. lip rific, or chin. whatever you wanna call it.

and yes, dont go overboard modding an accord.